PDA

View Full Version : Is my car chipped, I don't know......Where does the chip go??

bindi
24th May 2014, 02:03 PM
Hi All

I've just taken delivery of my new (late 2012) manual Gu8 and it goes like a dream, so much so that I was wondering if the previous owner had had it chipped (as he towed a caravan). Unlike some of the other comments regarding this car, it has great punch and pulls effortlessly and accelerates upto 120kmh (woops) really quickly, although I think the speedo is out by around 4kmh (checked with my gps speed).

My question is........Would it be that obvious by looking under the bonnet whether it has been chipped or not? I am not exactly sure where I should be looking, and of course if it has been chipped, I can cross it off my prospective shopping list :)

Any pics of where yours go would be helpful too.

many thanks in advance.

Mark

threedogs
24th May 2014, 02:20 PM
My Chip is a DP chip fitted up under the dash on the drivers side , easy to get to and adjust.
think mine is on 7 but more than happy with performance, Hope you find it

About the size of a small cig pkt

bindi
24th May 2014, 02:28 PM
My Chip is a DP chip fitted up under the dash on the drivers side , easy to get to and adjust.

Thanks, I'll have a look and sure hope it has one, I'll be chuffed to bits if it has.
I'll get under the drivers side dash with an inspection light later on today hopefully to see what I can spot.

threedogs
24th May 2014, 02:57 PM
Small plastic box could have a bit of red on it, but easy to spot

bindi
24th May 2014, 11:24 PM
nah, had a look, doesn't appear to be there, but really happy with the car.

megatexture
24th May 2014, 11:37 PM
You could look at the injector plugs and see if they are plugged into another wire loom before being looped back into the injectors

Avo
24th May 2014, 11:50 PM
I keep finding chips on the floor of mine....but I think that's the kids...

outback
27th May 2014, 02:18 AM
I keep finding chips on the floor of mine....but I think that's the kids...

Blame the kids even if the chips are on the drives side!!

rusty_nail
27th May 2014, 09:14 AM

TD, do you know what each of the settings do? my DOES have a DP chip, havent even looked at it yet, but is there somewhere i can see what the switch positions do? i dont really want to change the switch without knowing what it does?

threedogs
27th May 2014, 09:49 AM
personally I think it just increases fuel pressures, but there is a difference from zero to 10.
I found if I set it on 9 I have plenty of power but blows black smoke, 5 I found was a good
general setting for my Patrol but have since turned it up to 7 for towing my small camper trailer.
I have plenty of power on the HWY for overtaking and no clouds of black smoke either.

Basically the higher the number to more power you should get

kevin07
27th May 2014, 05:18 PM
I have a steinbauer in mine and sits between the main battery and the fire wall cable tied to the wiring loom