PDA

View Full Version : Pushing a td42ti beyond the limits

florix
23rd May 2014, 09:38 PM
hey guys.

just wondering what is needed if you push a 4.2 beyound the 750 mark that i have heard the crank gives out at. what needs to be changed in order to handle the extra power

nissannewby
23rd May 2014, 09:44 PM
The most common thing is to lower and balance your rotating mass. To lower the weight you can take meat out of the flywheel, I have seen 4kg taken out of a standard flywheel. And the balancing kind of speaks for itself.

Ben-e-boy
23rd May 2014, 09:51 PM
Crank snapping has a lot to do with harmonics, some have removed weight from the flywheel in order to move the worst harmonic vibation out or the usably rev range.

There is good info on the other forum

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-55/oh-another-crank-gone-161377/

florix
23rd May 2014, 10:17 PM
thanks guys. ill have a look through it. i have had a bit of a read through it but thought i would ask peoples experioences here too.

where would one go around goldcoast northern rivers in order to get it lightened?

Ben-e-boy
23rd May 2014, 10:33 PM
thanks guys. ill have a look through it. i have had a bit of a read through it but thought i would ask peoples experioences here too.

where would one go around goldcoast northern rivers in order to get it lightened?

There isn't many on this forum with those kind of numbers.
My ute has 180kw and 759Nm and I havn't done anything to it to beef it up

Lightspeed
16th June 2014, 06:42 PM

You don't really have to bother lightening the factory flywheel. Only if your running the Viper billet flywheel which is heavier than the factory one by about 1.5kg. I'm running the Viper billet flywheel & I got 3kg taken off it by Mark Barns Engineering in southport. The balancing was done by Arundell Heads on Brisbane rd Gold Coast.

Tristan d
17th June 2014, 05:41 PM
heavy flywheels bring the critical harmonics point lower in the revolutions. in the case of a td42, the billet flywheels are enough to cause issues. I have machined my flywheel so it is the same mass as factory one.

GRY60
23rd July 2014, 07:56 AM
i am a mechanic so i think abaut the flyweehl lightning and is it not the Problem that the rotating Mass(Flywheel) provides nice enginerun so if you lighten the enginerun will be less harmonic