PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Tappets or Lifters on a TB42E Help Please

kevin07
21st May 2014, 01:42 AM
I went to start the gq today its been sitting for a few days as I sort out how and what im going to do to fix. so when it finally started 1 of the rockers is making a hell of a noise sounds like a old diesel but its just 1 rocker, any help on this one please. kev

menace 2
21st May 2014, 12:28 PM
I went to start the gq today its been sitting for a few days as I sort out how and what im going to do to fix. so when it finally started 1 of the rockers is making a hell of a noise sounds like a old diesel but its just 1 rocker, any help on this one please. kev

rocker cover off ...feeler gauges , reset them all...go through the motions mate...engine hot 0.38mm

billyj
21st May 2014, 08:01 PM
as above they have solid lifters so you need to set the valve clearance. other things that make a similar noise include a stuffed exhaust manifold gasket or leaky exhaust valve

kevin07
22nd May 2014, 12:05 AM
rocker cover off ...feeler gauges , reset them all...go through the motions mate...engine hot 0.38mm

thanks will get on to that Friday it just not right as when I last drove it. was quite as a mouse like it is getting no oil.

Parksy
22nd May 2014, 12:21 AM
Worn out rockers will make a louder noise also.

kevin07
22nd May 2014, 08:26 AM
nah its just one and happened suddenly

menace 2
22nd May 2014, 02:01 PM
nah its just one and happened suddenly

yeh happened to me about 4 weeks ago after putting a hew head on and about 1800klm later...scares the shit out of you thinking it may be terminal !
the lock nut just comes loose (maybe I didn't do that one enough...but I doubt it ! )...check the push rod also before you retighten it just in case for any distortion....they are now just slightly rattley after about 800 klm so considering what was said about wearing over time etc ..I am just going to get a new rocker assembly any way....do you know the sequence etc when doing them ?