PDA

View Full Version : "Clack" sound shortly after driving off

jm2004
23rd May 2014, 08:01 PM
Hi All,

I'd have owned a Patrol Y61 (auto) for just week/ 300km (bought new) so my Patrol experience is pretty much still zero. I'm hoping anybody who owns similar vehicle can advise.

This happens when leaving the garage in the morning, or after parking for several hours, shortly after I drive off, 20-30 seconds into that I always hear a rather loud "clack" noise from approx. front right of the car. At first I thought it's the sound of the gearbox shifting from 1st to 2nd gear but lately I don't think it's the case.

I still have no idea what it is, especially after that the noise is gone, that is until I stop / park for sometime and drive off again. Everything seems to operate very nicely, no indication of warning lights etc on the dash.

If anybody in the know can enlighten me with this mysterious sound, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Hodge
23rd May 2014, 08:27 PM
This sounds like it could be your auto-hubs. This will sound stupid but are you in 4L or 4H by any chance?

jm2004
24th May 2014, 03:17 PM
This sounds like it could be your auto-hubs. This will sound stupid but are you in 4L or 4H by any chance?
It's not stupid at all, thanks in fact for pointing that possibility out and for your reply/suggestions. I reconfirmed that the hub is in auto, today I locked it and put it back in auto, not sure why but just in case it gets stuck inside etc (I'm not that technical). I reconfirmed as well that it's on 2H.

I try reversing for a meter or so when driving off the garage next time, just to ensure again if it's locked for reason, it'll get unlocked.

jm2004
27th May 2014, 01:52 PM
Hi Hodge (and others),

I've now tried the followings:
1) I've locked the front hubs - instead of leaving them on "auto" (but stayed on 2WD as I've been driving on hard surfaces)
2) I pushed the gear level to first gear then drove off, and still heard that "clack" from somewhere in the engine bay. Aircon was off throughout this test.
So I think it's not from the auto hub playing up, not from the gearbox (which sound should have come from below instead of the front).

I'm sure (or hoping) that the explanation is simple, and I don't believe there is anything wrong. It's just that knowing what makes that sound would be great. If you or anybody else can comment (perhaps experiencing the same) that'd be great to hear.

Thanks,

threedogs
27th May 2014, 02:01 PM
check all bushes and even your engine mounts
If its only 300 ks old wouldn't you drive it back to the dealer to find and fix

outback
27th May 2014, 06:28 PM
If its only 300 ks old wouldn't you drive it back to the dealer to find and fix

As three dogs said: take it back and get them to do it.

oncedisturbed
27th May 2014, 06:40 PM
It is possible you may have "coil bind" from the springs which happens quite regularly with a lot of coil vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Hodge
27th May 2014, 07:27 PM
Hey mate as others have said, take it back to Nissan, vehicle that young shouldn't be doing stuff like that, unless it is something silly like a shifter or spanner left under bonnet somewhere not visible moving around while car is driving (talking from experience). Otherwise we could be here guessing till next year mate.
Straight to Nissan mate. Let us know how you go.

jm2004
27th May 2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks all, will go to the dealer to get it checked. I'll update you all in the next couple of days.
Cheers,

jm2004
1st July 2014, 09:08 PM
Just updating the status of this "mystery sound". The dealer technician was unable to pinpoint the source of sound but reassured me all is in good working condition. In reality, after clocking over 2,500km so far, the sound doesn't get any worse, or change in pattern etc. Recently I found some articles about Nissan ABC/VDC self check and the symptom is identical i.e.
- only sounds once after starting/ driving off, at approx. 5 - 30 kmh. If so, it's apparently the self check.
- sounds louder the longer the vehicle has been parked
- you can feel the vibration if you happen to press the brake pedal (I haven't tried this but will do tomorrow)

Now if I can get any confirmation from fellow GU 8 (with VDC) or GU 9 owners, that their vehicles do that too, that'd be great.

Cheers,

NP99
1st July 2014, 10:09 PM
What you discovered, if it is the self check, the Nissan Dealer should have been aware of it.....like most things, you need to tell the dealer. Good luck with the investigation mate. Cheers.