PDA

View Full Version : Extractors.

Shaft10
22nd May 2014, 11:23 PM
Hi fellas looks like I've done a manifold gasket and was thinkin bout putting a set of extractors on seeing as I gotta take manifold off. Was wondering will i get any noticable gain out of my td 42 or is more just the sound cheers

BigRAWesty
23rd May 2014, 02:07 AM
You'll always get a power increase with this sorta mod, but the diesels don't tend to respond like the petrols.
Much better option is turbo.. ;-)

Drewboyaus
23rd May 2014, 02:07 AM
Put the money towards a turbo setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Drewboyaus
23rd May 2014, 02:08 AM
Snap! You on nightshift Kallen?

sil3nt_dr3ams
23rd May 2014, 03:04 AM
When i put my extractors on my td42 it made a very notable difference overall. Produced alittle more power but it made huge difference in the rev range. Car revs a lot easier and is very friendly at higher revs. Just make sure you know what up for they don't just bolt in and depending what system you have going behind. I made a custom section to join to my lukey 2.5 system. I had to cut rotate flanges. O and while im at it the last bolt at the back of the block is a pain you'll need a uni join on a socket.

BigRAWesty
23rd May 2014, 04:00 AM
Snap! You on nightshift Kallen?

Exactly the same time to

Shaft10
23rd May 2014, 07:07 AM
Cheers fellas. Will have a think. My exhaust system is just bout stuffed so might change the whole lot while I'm at it maybe

Drewboyaus
23rd May 2014, 11:23 AM
You should seriously consider what you will be doing to the vehicle and whether you will add a turbo in years/months to come as that will require a different manifold and you'd probably go larger on the exhaust too. If that is in your sights you may be better off getting by for now and doing a complete change later.

Grease monkey
27th June 2014, 05:42 PM
I was looking at extractors i might have a rethink thanks.

threedogs
27th June 2014, 06:24 PM
Anything that helps your motor breathe has to be good

Bushy674
28th June 2014, 10:22 PM
I fitted a set of Genie headers to my high mileage TD42 a couple of months ago, already had a 2.5inch system fitted. Found it pulled a bit higher in the rev range before signing off, found it held gears better on hills especially when towing the camper, only downside is they are noisy and if your doing it yourself snapped exhaust studs can be a bastard. I too am looking to turbo soon but these came up on the cheap so I gave em a crack.

NP99
28th June 2014, 10:36 PM
I fitted a set of Genie headers to my high mileage TD42 a couple of months ago, already had a 2.5inch system fitted. Found it pulled a bit higher in the rev range before signing off, found it held gears better on hills especially when towing the camper, only downside is they are noisy and if your doing it yourself snapped exhaust studs can be a bastard. I too am looking to turbo soon but these came up on the cheap so I gave em a crack.

Did you replace the studs with studs or bolts?

Bushy674
9th July 2014, 02:08 PM
Studs Mate,

Dradyz
10th December 2014, 09:55 AM
Any better on economy

Bushy674
16th December 2014, 09:37 PM
Much of a muchness mate, did notice an improvement when towing on long runs

BigRAWesty
16th December 2014, 09:56 PM
Have you done anything on the intake or just the exhaust?

Bushy674
31st December 2014, 07:30 PM
Apart from removing the pre cleaner element for highway runs no, next step will be a snorkel and hopefully an Air cleaner conversion from a later model 3ltr crd. My personal opinion is that the standard td42 air cleaner alone is not sufficient. As I say it's only an opinion and not all will agree. Sorry it took so long to reply. cheers...