PDA

View Full Version : Gvm upgrades

90mav
22nd May 2014, 08:01 PM
Has anyone successfully raised gvm on their gu wagons? I'm looking for an extra 400kgs.
In sunny qld that is...

BigRAWesty
22nd May 2014, 08:41 PM
Unaware you could for wagons, have only seem gmv upgrades for leaf rear utes

gaddy
22nd May 2014, 08:49 PM
Give creative conversions at brendale a call , they will know ,

Cuppa
22nd May 2014, 09:00 PM
Unaware you could for wagons, have only seem gmv upgrades for leaf rear utes

Yep, I’m only aware of kits which can be used for GU leaf sprung utes. (Mine got me an extra 500kg). That’s not to say that coil sprung wagons can’t be upgraded, but the ‘engineering’ costs might be scary. It would be worth talking to an engineer in your area. He/She should be able to tell you what is possible & how to go about it. If you do follow up on this please could you report back here what you find out as I’m sure there will be others here interested too.
FWIW my local springworks told me that they can upgrade the load carrying capacity of any vehicle (different to upgrading GVM). At the time he had a Volvo station wagon (coil sprung) with 25x 30kg batteries in the back & sitting nice & level!

90mav
23rd May 2014, 08:51 AM
Statewide 4x4 in Melbourne do the gvm upgrades to gu wagon but it costs $3500ish...
It sounds like a load of work too. They can't supply a DIY kit either it has to be done in house.
Not only springs and shocks but coil tower bracing, diff laminating... Could be a week long job plus a drive to Victoria!
Anyone please in Qld?

threedogs
23rd May 2014, 09:58 AM
IMO if you cant tour safely in a GU wagon and I'll say two up and stay legal you may have the wrong Vehicle.
See it all to often here of PPl buying campers and caravans up to their towing limit before they set of..
Pack smart and travel light, less wear and tear on everyone, and take your time you'll see more.

BillsGU
23rd May 2014, 03:51 PM
I heard something interesting at the Febrary meeting of the NSW ACT 4WD Association. A fellow who works at RMS in NSW stood up and gave a talk. He said there is no such thing as GVM for a passenger vehicle according to ADRs. GVM only applies to commercial vehicles. One of the guys in the audience then said he had just spent $3000 odd upgrading his GVM on a Patrol and the RMS fellow said he had wasted his money. I really dont know for sure. I tried to look up ADRs but can't understand all the mumbo jumbo.

This was from the horses's mouth and he even said that most of his workmates at RMS and state police don't fully understand some of the ADRs.

rainsey
23rd May 2014, 05:26 PM
I heard something interesting at the Febrary meeting of the NSW ACT 4WD Association. A fellow who works at RMS in NSW stood up and gave a talk. He said there is no such thing as GVM for a passenger vehicle according to ADRs. GVM only applies to commercial vehicles. One of the guys in the audience then said he had just spent $3000 odd upgrading his GVM on a Patrol and the RMS fellow said he had wasted his money. I really dont know for sure. I tried to look up ADRs but can't understand all the mumbo jumbo.

This was from the horses's mouth and he even said that most of his workmates at RMS and state police don't fully understand some of the ADRs.

Hmm..

That sound sus!

Why then when I got my vehicle re registered in NSW did I have to go to the weigh bridge and get a fare weight to ensure I was not over GVM and why is GVM on our rego forms, even as a non commercial vehicle.

Not questioning what this guy told you, just questioning his facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wizard52
23rd May 2014, 07:00 PM
IMO if you cant tour safely in a GU wagon and I'll say two up and stay legal you may have the wrong Vehicle.
See it all to often here of PPl buying campers and caravans up to their towing limit before they set of..
Pack smart and travel light, less wear and tear on everyone, and take your time you'll see more.

Spot on TD although I'm going to be close to the limit.