PDA

View Full Version : Antenna question

Chefpatrol
22nd May 2014, 05:13 PM
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what is the best antenna to use I have a pic of my current one I will be crossing the Simpson Desert in July and just need to be sure. Thanks 44844

TPC
22nd May 2014, 06:20 PM
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what is the best antenna to use I have a pic of my current one I will be crossing the Simpson Desert in July and just need to be sure. Thanks 44844
The antenna you have is a Polar ground plain independent and should be a good antenna.

You can remove the short whip on top and change it for a 3dB gain antenna when you want to transmit over a long distance on reasonably flat ground.
Did it come with a longer whip?

Chefpatrol
22nd May 2014, 06:28 PM
No it didn't. Thank you for your help.

lucus30
22nd May 2014, 06:34 PM
The antenna you have is a Polar ground plain independent and should be a good antenna.

You can remove the short whip on top and change it for a 3dB gain antenna when you want to transmit over a long distance on reasonably flat ground.
Did it come with a longer whip?

That looks like a 3dBi whip on it to me. Get a higher gain whip and you'll have the best of both worlds depending on terrain. Short 3db for hills and 5-9db for flat

TPC
22nd May 2014, 06:47 PM
That looks like a 3db whip on it to me. Get a higher gain whip and you'll have the best of both worlds depending on terrain. Short 3db for hills and 5-9db for flat
That is a unity gain antenna on there.
There is a lot of confusion when referring to antenna gain as some will quote dBi figures which make the antenna sound like it has more gain.

threedogs
22nd May 2014, 06:52 PM
Wont need the rod holders they might/will frown on them interstate

nissannewby
22nd May 2014, 06:58 PM
Wont need the rod holders they might/will frown on them interstate

Not if they have a rod in them :).

Avo
22nd May 2014, 07:05 PM
Not if they have a rod in them :).

they still threaten to fine me last year even with rods in them..think the cop was having a bad day...I asked where would I put my rods and she said that aint her problem but they aren't allowed out fornt,I even said if they went straight up I would hit every power line..13-15 foot rods.....still didn't care....

Mind you it was one cops out of about a dozen we had seen over a distance of about 10,000km.like I said having a bad day

lucus30
22nd May 2014, 07:17 PM
That is a unity gain antenna on there.
There is a lot of confusion when referring to antenna gain as some will quote dBi figures which make the antenna sound like it has more gain.

Yeah mate I should have said 3dBi. Antennas should always be listed with the gain in dBi otherwise it doesn't make any sense
Excuse my laziness