PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak from above oil filter , any idea's

altech
22nd May 2014, 12:48 PM
Hi Guys, Notice that there was a oil leak on driveway , had a look couldn't see where it was coming from , So I clean area where I think it was leaking . Started the car and as you can see in photo's , maybe above the oil filter or the oil filter seal is nicked and under pressure oil sparying out maybe . Any idea's guys regards Alex

p.s. car was running only 15 mins for that amount of oil on driveway

MudRunnerTD
22nd May 2014, 01:24 PM
How long ago was the oil filter changed? Is it tight?

menace 2
22nd May 2014, 01:26 PM
looks like it might be coming from behind the pump gasket

altech
22nd May 2014, 01:31 PM
How long ago was the oil filter changed? Is it tight?

about 6 weeks ago , this is a new thing from a couple of days ago , just city driving

altech
22nd May 2014, 01:35 PM
looks like it might be coming from behind the pump gasket

are there easy to change over and whats with the pipes on top could they have a crack rubber at the cramp end

menace 2
22nd May 2014, 01:46 PM
are there easy to change over and whats with the pipes on top could they have a crack rubber at the cramp end

the only way to tell is to rely on our sight..completely clean the whole area...over it , under it , around it...if the car is high enough , chock the back wheels then just start it , get under it and see where it is coming from...take a rag under with you and keep wiping it off until you are sure you have where it is coming from...if it isleaking that much in 15 minutes then it wont be hard to see it mate

altech
22nd May 2014, 02:02 PM
the only way to tell is to rely on our sight..completely clean the whole area...over it , under it , around it...if the car is high enough , chock the back wheels then just start it , get under it and see where it is coming from...take a rag under with you and keep wiping it off until you are sure you have where it is coming from...if it isleaking that much in 15 minutes then it wont be hard to see it mate
Yes done all that, just can't get my big head in closer --lol to see where !!! one of those moveable stick cams would be great and the top air intake doesn't help either as blocks view ..

mudski
22nd May 2014, 02:09 PM
Just change the oil filter again (leave engine oil in car)and clean the area up and re check for leaks. Its possible the filter has a small hair line crack or split in it. That would be what I'd do first. If you do change the oil filter make sure the rubber seal on the filter has some oil on it so the seal doesn't grab when you tighten it up.

Alitis007
22nd May 2014, 02:24 PM
It looks like its leaking from that oil cooler that the oil filter bolts onto. My 45 is starting to sweat from around there so i haven't taken it off to see exactly where its leaking from. But be aware there are 2 x heater hoses that attach to it coz the coolant is what cools the oil.

If you can get another car to drive i would pull it off and give it a closer inspection to see what can be separated to be resealed.

altech
23rd May 2014, 12:08 PM
Just change the oil filter again (leave engine oil in car)and clean the area up and re check for leaks. Its possible the filter has a small hair line crack or split in it. That would be what I'd do first. If you do change the oil filter make sure the rubber seal on the filter has some oil on it so the seal doesn't grab when you tighten it up.

OK changed the oil filter ,but leak seems to above the filter case , so I have take off the oil filter unit off

altech
23rd May 2014, 12:13 PM
It looks like its leaking from that oil cooler that the oil filter bolts onto. My 45 is starting to sweat from around there so i haven't taken it off to see exactly where its leaking from. But be aware there are 2 x heater hoses that attach to it coz the coolant is what cools the oil.

Hi 007, are they coolant or are they oil pipes that go to a radiator in front of main radiator regards Alex

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2014, 12:14 PM
if you cant get your head in there use a mirror.

Alitis007
23rd May 2014, 12:36 PM
Hi 007, are they coolant or are they oil pipes that go to a radiator in front of main radiator regards Alex
Those 2 hoses are water hoses mate, the oil comes from the block.

You might be able to have a better look if you took off the rubber splash guards from the wheel well. That should give a direct look at that cooler/ oil filter housing but you might need to remove the wheel to get your head in closer.

altech
23rd May 2014, 12:44 PM
Those 2 hoses are water hoses mate, the oil comes from the block.

You might be able to have a better look if you took off the rubber splash guards from the wheel well. That should give a direct look at that cooler/ oil filter housing but you might need to remove the wheel to get your head in closer.

thanks for that info , I thinking leaking oil hose , trick that of list :thumbup:

altech
23rd May 2014, 01:23 PM
Hi Guys ,I think I have on top of the oil filter unit there the water cooler unit on top , in the middle of pipes there a 16mm bolt which I could tighten up a mm which it slowed it down abit , but if there a seal they I think whole thing has to come out . Guys you think im on the right track or not regards Alex

altech
23rd May 2014, 01:41 PM
Hmmmm should check the Manual next time lol cheers Guys for help :cheers:

Alitis007
23rd May 2014, 04:18 PM
Your better off changing that "o" ring coz if its gone hard it will still leak even if you tighten the retaining bolt further

altech
23rd May 2014, 07:28 PM
All clean and sealed . I wait 24 hours to dry and it was a good thing anyway one of the water hoses cracked up as I was taken it off , So I replaced both regards Alex

altech
24th May 2014, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys , oil cooler/filter unit back on block and No leaks . thanks for input over the days Cheers Alex :trink13:

Alitis007
25th May 2014, 01:30 AM
Great outcome mate!! And thanks for letting us know you rectified the problem. Cheers!