PDA

View Full Version : 2010 GU Patrol High Mount Stop Light

clubbyr8
22nd May 2014, 12:08 PM
Trying to replace the high mount stop light with a led globe. Easy as I thought. Took the 21w globe out, put the led globe in, nada. Read somewhere that the wires are reversed on some patrols, so I buzzed the black wire and it goes to earth and to the case of the globe. Tried different led globes, none of them work. Tested them on a 12v battery, they all work fine.

Is there something unusual about the brake light wiring circuit? Looks straight forward in the manual. I assume they're not canbus (I couldn't find any mention of it). The led globes are Bay15s so reversing them doesn't make a difference.

Any suggestions???

Yendor
22nd May 2014, 12:58 PM
The wires for the high mount light have been incorrectly installed into the wrong pins in the connector. The black wire is still an earth.

You either need to remove the pins from the connect and swap them over or cut the two wires and join the green and yellow wire to the black wire and vice versa

Yendor
28th May 2014, 03:40 PM
How did you go with this?

happygu
28th May 2014, 03:53 PM
Did the old light work before you installed the new LED Globe?
Is there 12V at the globe holder?

If the answer is no to both, then check for voltage, and check fuses / wires.

If the answer is yes to the first one and no to the second, then check polarity at the holder

clubbyr8
28th May 2014, 04:16 PM
Did the old light work before you installed the new LED Globe?
Is there 12V at the globe holder?

If the answer is no to both, then check for voltage, and check fuses / wires.

If the answer is yes to the first one and no to the second, then check polarity at the holder

How did you go with this?

The old globe works fine. The led globes work in other sockets. The outside of the holder buzzes to earth, this is the black wire. The centre pin wire, which is red has +12v on it. I'll pull the door panel off when I get a chance.

Yendor
28th May 2014, 04:22 PM
Did you remove the other stop light bulbs from the circuit when you did the "buzzes to earth" test? Did you also try this test on the red wire? get the same results.

Put a voltmeter across the red and black wires at the bulb holder, you will find it will read negative 12 volts when brake lights are on.

Yendor
28th May 2014, 04:26 PM
Have a look at this thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14856-Brake-LED-not-working-properly&highlight

clubbyr8
28th May 2014, 04:36 PM
Did you remove the other stop light bulbs from the circuit when you did the "buzzes to earth" test? Did you also try this test on the red wire? get the same results.

Put a voltmeter across the red and black wires at the bulb holder, you will find it will read negative 12 volts when brake lights are on.

Yes the globe was out of circuit, didn't try that with the red wire..

Yendor
28th May 2014, 04:42 PM
Yes the globe was out of circuit, didn't try that with the red wire..

What about the other 2 brake light bulbs in the circuit?

clubbyr8
28th May 2014, 04:46 PM
What about the other 2 brake light bulbs in the circuit?

No they were still in circuit. Where is the connector for this light, in the back door? I'll take the panel off tomorrow.....

Yendor
28th May 2014, 04:51 PM
It's shown in post 15 in the link I posted above.

Remove the large barn door trim and it's about 5 inches in from the right hand side.

Or you can just cut the red and black wires at the bulb holder and swap them over.

clubbyr8
28th May 2014, 04:52 PM
It's shown in post 15 in the link I posted above.

Remove the large barn door trim and it's about 5 inches in from the right hand side.

Or you can just cut the red and black wires at the bulb holder and swap them over.

Thanks mate :)

clubbyr8
29th May 2014, 10:46 AM
It was reversed on the connector in the rear door, so I swapped the pins. Led globes now work although they not as bright as the tungsten globe. So I'll get some brighter ones.

Looks like it buzzed out because of the parallel lights. Thanks for all your help Yendor... :)