PDA

View Full Version : 88 GQ TD42 wiring issues

Bulldozen
22nd May 2014, 11:38 AM
Fellas how's it goin. I picked up a 88 sivertop gq ute problem with it was a fire had started under the dash burning and melting dash loom and heater ducts was a full mess I poped the dash out started sorting it out most of the harness survived and it was only a few wires that had melted together so I isolated rewired those melt ones which I thought was pre straight forward and now I got wipers lights (only 1 headlight is working ) heater fan blah blah prob is that I have no dash lights and gauges aren't working except for when I hit the lights and the dash back light comes on. If any one could help me with some info on were to look or why they may not be working would be legendary also because this dash cluster hasn't got a rev taco was wondering how I wire a aftermarket one to to tD42 I want to run a turbo so having a rev tacho will help me tune diesel pump any help much apperciated :))

mudnut
22nd May 2014, 12:18 PM
Hello, Bulldozen, and welcome to the forum. At this stage, all I can offer you is get your 25 posts up, and download the free manuals. As for the tacho, I reckon Yendor would be the man to talk to. Maybe send him a private message in case he has missed this thread.

Yendor
22nd May 2014, 03:31 PM
Fellas how's it goin. I picked up a 88 sivertop gq ute problem with it was a fire had started under the dash burning and melting dash loom and heater ducts was a full mess I poped the dash out started sorting it out most of the harness survived and it was only a few wires that had melted together so I isolated rewired those melt ones which I thought was pre straight forward and now I got wipers lights (only 1 headlight is working ) heater fan blah blah prob is that I have no dash lights and gauges aren't working except for when I hit the lights and the dash back light comes on. If any one could help me with some info on were to look or why they may not be working would be legendary also because this dash cluster hasn't got a rev taco was wondering how I wire a aftermarket one to to tD42 I want to run a turbo so having a rev tacho will help me tune diesel pump any help much apperciated :))

So when you turn the headlights on the dash warning lights and gauges start working?

Have you checked for a blown or missing fuses in the fusebox inside the vehicle?

Bulldozen
22nd May 2014, 04:36 PM
Cheers mud runner. Nah when I turn head lights on just the standard back light lights up I'll check fuses cheers but if not the fuses where should I be looking?? Also how do I send yendor a msg ??

Bulldozen
23rd May 2014, 09:53 AM
Got dash lights now only issue is indicators there not working and unsure why

Yendor
23rd May 2014, 11:13 AM
Did you check all the fuses? Do the hazard lights work? Did you reconnect the hazard light switch when putting the dash back together?

Bulldozen
24th May 2014, 05:41 PM
Cheers I found that the connections to the indicator fuse weren't there so I bridged power and hooked up hazard switch and all is good thanks also how can I test if the temp gauge is working with out taking if for a drive only because tray and guards are off ATM don't really want to go cruising lol

Bulldozen
14th June 2014, 08:33 PM
Soo nobody knows how to wire up a rev tacho in 88 mav ??

peekinggq
27th March 2015, 10:31 AM
what was the issue bruv?