PDA

View Full Version : front driveshaft bolts

Fakeofergbo
21st May 2014, 07:45 PM
hi guys and girls, so today i decided to put in new front drive shaft uni joints. all was going well until i went to unbolt the front drive shaft in which all 8 bolts had seized up and it made it very difficult to get them off so in the process i managed to wreck 6 out of the 8 bolts, now i rang Nissan for some replacements but he said he couldn't get any for a week, so i went to my local fasteners and got some 8.8x40mm bolts and proceeded to fit them up. my question is that here were no spring washers or lock nuts on the origional Nissan bolts so should i get lock nuts or spring washers and put them on, or just use some loctite, which is what it looks like was on there?

Fakeofergbo
21st May 2014, 07:47 PM
by the way its a 1999 GU patrol wagon

mudski
21st May 2014, 08:02 PM
I would use a spring washer and loctite if it were me. You don't intend of removing it again...

nissannewby
21st May 2014, 08:20 PM
Where are you located? I have a full set.

tikashooter
21st May 2014, 08:26 PM
Hello Fakeofregbo,
I would think as long as the nuts are the same as the original ( ie nuts with a flange )and same grade bolts it would be ok to use loctite and tighten them up to the recommended bolt tension of 68.6-78.5 Nm ( as per the manual I have). If not add a washer and tension them up the same. I'm sure someone else could clarify further.
cheers
Tikashooter