PDA

View Full Version : GU8 ST rear diff lock

angelo
21st May 2014, 10:04 AM
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone else has the same problem. When i try to engage my diff lock sometimes it wont engage unless i turn my steering wheel from left to right while moving forwards a little and then you can hear it engage.
I spoke to the guys at Nissan and they said this is normal. :/

Angelo

jack
21st May 2014, 10:14 AM
Hi Angelo,

I've never had that issue. Does the diff lock light come on when you turn the switch or only come on when it engages?

angelo
21st May 2014, 11:55 AM
So when i put it in 4L and then turn the switch to engage it the diff lock light on the dash just flashes continuously.
To get it to engage, ill drive forwards and turn the steering wheel from left to right and you can hear it click into place then dash light stops flashing and stays illuminated and all is sweet.

jack
21st May 2014, 12:17 PM
Hi, I just went and tried this in the back yard. Started car, selected 4L, turned on Diff Lock and light stayed on, no flashing.
I had to use it over the weekend several times and can't recall it flashing then either, usually to much noise going on to hear it engage.
Maybe someone else can comment on their experience.

angelo
21st May 2014, 10:41 PM
well i was under the impression that once you turn it on it should just engage, ill take a video of it and upload it in the morning

BigRAWesty
22nd May 2014, 01:21 AM
Were talking diff lock and not stabiliser release???

I wouldn't have thought a left and right turn was needed to engage the diff??

Maxhead
22nd May 2014, 06:35 AM
Mine mostly engages on the flick of the switch but I have seen mine flash till I start driving on an odd occasion

angelo
22nd May 2014, 09:48 AM
I took this vid to help explain my issue lol http://youtu.be/GgLvpdx4yfM

jack
22nd May 2014, 10:55 AM
Angelo,
I've just watched the video and I've never had that issue (it may have flashed but not that I'm aware off), definitely never had to spin the wheel side to side to get it engaged.
It got a real workout last weekend and worked very well, that reminds me to post up some toymota recovery pics.

Bulbous
22nd May 2014, 03:14 PM
So when i put it in 4L and then turn the switch to engage it the diff lock light on the dash just flashes continuously.
To get it to engage, ill drive forwards and turn the steering wheel from left to right and you can hear it click into place then dash light stops flashing and stays illuminated and all is sweet.

Sometimes it just engages, sometimes you need to just wriggle the steering to engage it.
It depends how much stress is already on the drive line. if it's all relatively lined up, then the lock will probably just engage. If there's any sort of stress on the transmission then it won't, you have to release the stress by turning the steering.

angelo
23rd May 2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Jimbo4x4
28th May 2014, 07:34 PM
Sometimes it flashes and i have to move forward a few feet to engage, Normal i would say :-)

bindi
28th May 2014, 10:18 PM
Mines a GU8 too and I have the same, flashing diff lock light for ages, so you're not alone.

altech
1st June 2014, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys, tried my diff lock today . it stop flashing and as I drove a bit up the road a beep noise started ,no idea what it was or is it telling me that the diff lock on regards Alex

Bulbous
1st June 2014, 06:17 PM
Hi Guys, tried my diff lock today . it stop flashing and as I drove a bit up the road a beep noise started ,no idea what it was or is it telling me that the diff lock on regards Alex

It's a warning that sounds as soon as you go above a certain speed. 12 KM/H I think. Probably best not to engage it on a road or hard surface.

Yendor
1st June 2014, 06:18 PM

It will start beeping if you drive over 20Km/H with the diff lock engaged.

edit.......What Bulbous said :smile:

altech
1st June 2014, 10:04 PM
It's a warning that sounds as soon as you go above a certain speed. 12 KM/H I think. Probably best not to engage it on a road or hard surface.

yes I was on hard surface and was going slow at the time , pull over and turned it off = thanks guys for telling what it was cheers Alex :trink13:

angelo
26th June 2014, 03:05 PM
Nissan are dicks, i took mine back and again they said it doesn't have a problem and that i need to just go full lock left and right while moving forward on a hard surface till it stops flashing.. as if that is good for the transmission/drive train.. Grrr

bindi
26th June 2014, 10:37 PM
mine now seems to be operating properly, so suspect operator error on my part :)

Dales300exc
27th June 2014, 08:22 AM
Nissan are not lying. The diff lock will rely on a set of splines to engage. If those splines are not lined up when you engage it the light will flash warning it is not engaged. The turning is getting the axles to rotate at a different speed so the locking teeth can be lined up. The light when then go solid when the locking teeth have meshed.

Lifes a bitch sometimes.

threedogs
27th June 2014, 08:33 AM
wouldn't it engage if you pressed the button then drove off slowly, backed off a tad the just drove.

Had a similar prob with the vacuum diff lock on a Range Rover going to Cape York.
Waiting at the base of Gunshot the owner asked why so long to take off, I pressed the button but the light never came on
he said once button is pressed the diff lock is engaged. and yes made it up Gunshot first hit , but back in 1993, lol