PDA

View Full Version : hard to start/ bad fuel economy

DilboBaggins
20th May 2014, 02:52 PM
G'day guys, as you've all probably seen, im on me way to perth with my older brother in his 1999 2.8lt turbo diesel patrol. He use to get 800km+. Just a few weeks ago it was put in at the mechanics to get a major service, and now his getting real bad fuel economy on highway driving, also it was hard to start, so we replaced the glow plugs, still hard to start plus a big cloud of smoke once it does start. Any chance this could be injectors? Thanks

Col.T
20th May 2014, 07:16 PM
G'day Bagman,
don't have a clue about the old 2.8. Never had one so haven't got any advice.
BUT, seems a bit strange that the wagon's all good, get a full service and then it's cactus.
Reckon the first thing I'd be doing is going back and saying something like 'hang about fellas, what's going on here'. Why'd you replace the plugs? Did it blow big smoke before the service?
Start polite and work your way up. Unless you or the bro have done something you've not mentioned here I think I can smell something fishy

Luck,
Col

statok
22nd May 2014, 01:47 PM
Mate mine was the same. I just bought a new number 1 injector as in the 2.8s they are electric and the needle lift sensor is stuffed. The best i can say to you is take it to a mechanic and get them to plug it in for a diagnostic scan. If you need any more info ill pm you my number

90mav
23rd May 2014, 07:10 AM
Have you tried the advance plate replacement? Having said that I tried it and hasn't done a thing for me. I spoke to a diesel pump repairer and he reckons I need to spend up on a reco pump at $1600.
Does it start ok cold? Mine is great when cold but a bigger to start hot. I often will leave the bonnet up when I stop so it cools quicker and starts easier

DilboBaggins
23rd May 2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks everyone, it drives fine, but just the bad fuel economy part. Its hard to start hot or cold but when I do that glow plug trick (ingition on, then off 3 times) starts alot easier. We haven't done anything to it which would cause such problems, we got into perth lastnight with no problems (took 3 days)

DilboBaggins
19th September 2014, 10:46 AM
So this problem is still with me but is getting worse. Im going to check glow plugs this weekend. So I have power to the buzzbar, not exactly sure how much, but power Is there, ive cleaned the main feed wire to the buzzbar. New battery, glow plug light only stays on for 3 seconds, is that right? Starts easier when cold, starts even easier when parked on a hill with nose down. Pressure is in the fuel lines and when its hot, the only way to start it is to roll start or some deodorant in the airbox which I dont like doing either of them. Once it starts, especially cold, it wont idle unless I give it a boot full or have the glowplug switch on (the switch which ups the revs) and bubbles and farts and what not untill its warm. The problem is only getting worse, any other ideas I can try? Thanks

gubigfish
19th September 2014, 06:49 PM
Give United Fuel Injection a call they might have some ideas, hopefully without it costing you too much.

DilboBaggins
19th September 2014, 08:17 PM
Ill give them guys a call on monday, would it be worth running some injector cleaner through it? Or wouldnt the problem not have anything to do with injectors? Cheers