PDA

View Full Version : Looking at GU patrols

OFFIGO
19th May 2014, 10:37 AM
Hi guys, Just wondering what I should look for in a early model GU.

I have read a lot about the ZD30 problems but my budget will be for a model with this engine. I will be looking at a few with all the anti grenade gear, so that will help, however any that don’t what are tell tail signs of engine issues?
What should I be looking out for with the car its self, any known rust spots etc I should check over?
any noises from gb, diffs or steering that will tell me its had a hard life.
Never touched a diesel engine in general so what should I look out for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Shane

threedogs
19th May 2014, 10:42 AM
Google anything written by Chaz Yellowfoot considered here as one of the Gurus when it comes to these motors.
Pay someone to go over it that knows about 4x4.
If its leaking oil anywhere walk away, even if it sounds like a good deal.
If you had put your location in the right spot a member may be able to help you find a suitable example that fits in your budget

OFFIGO
19th May 2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the heads up, only just joined...
I will search this bloke. I will be getting a local mechanic to check out the car, but not if I can walk away first from knowing a bit more about what to look for.
Oil leaks are of concern obviously...
any know body issues or suspension etc?

Clunk
19th May 2014, 01:44 PM
Check the rear spring towers for signs of cracking and also the welds.

What sorted have budget do you have to play with....... You may or may not want to think about a TD42 GQ, good ones go quickly, so have your money ready

OFFIGO
19th May 2014, 02:32 PM
I have $15000 to spend. but cheaper the better, its not the primary family wagon. Its just for me, if anything minor goes wrong I can fix it. But I still want a few newer luxuries that the GU offers.

Thanks for the info on the towers. What will this tell me? hard off road life?

Clunk
19th May 2014, 02:59 PM
Yes can point to having a hard life. They are a known week spot on patrols

threedogs
19th May 2014, 03:18 PM
$15K will see you in a great series 1 or two Diesel if thats your choice
or a later Ti, plenty of power and buttons,,,,,,,,,,,,or
an AWESOME GQ 4.2 turbo charged with the lot and a bit of change too.

Towing and big weights leads to the chassis cracking, but kits are available both bolt on and weld on.

MudRunnerTD
19th May 2014, 04:09 PM
$15,000 is a good Budget, $20,000 is a better budget though to be honest. One of our members Rusty went through the exact same thing a few months ago with the same budget. He ended up spending $17,000 and got a GUIV 3.0 with Bull bar, side rails, winch, rear drawers, roof rack, lift roof lights.

Dont aim low and dont be in a hurry.

Here is Rusty's ride thread mate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27326-Rusty-s-GUIV-Upgrade&highlight=rusty

OFFIGO
19th May 2014, 07:45 PM
$15K will see you in a great series 1 or two Diesel if thats your choice
or a later Ti, plenty of power and buttons,,,,,,,,,,,,or
an AWESOME GQ 4.2 turbo charged with the lot and a bit of change too.

Towing and big weights leads to the chassis cracking, but kits are available both bolt on and weld on.

Thanks. Yeah just looking for a cheapish patrol but don't want a lemon. A friend has a car yard has a 99 patrol with a rebuilt 2.8l td. St model with bull bar lift kit big wheels for 10k I want to look at. But not sure on the 2.8

OFFIGO
19th May 2014, 07:47 PM
$15,000 is a good Budget, $20,000 is a better budget though to be honest. One of our members Rusty went through the exact same thing a few months ago with the same budget. He ended up spending $17,000 and got a GUIV 3.0 with Bull bar, side rails, winch, rear drawers, roof rack, lift roof lights.

Dont aim low and dont be in a hurry.

Here is Rusty's ride thread mate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?27326-Rusty-s-GUIV-Upgrade&highlight=rusty

Yeah that's nice dude 15 is the budget though unfortunately. Been looking for several months getting a feel for the market. Have to say there is so much variance in price and models etc. I feel like I might just have to jump in one. Haven't driven enough though.

MudRunnerTD
19th May 2014, 08:00 PM
Mate if you can step into a series 4 your will be in a better car that is current shape. Any variant in a Series 4 will be a winner mate.

If you consider Rusty's one has $10k bolted to it it was a steal!!! Your kind of right at the threshold now at $15k as the GUIvs are coming on the market in your price range. If your in that price bracket you'd be nuts to buy a flogged out 2.8 GUI or even worst a GUI ZD30

OFFIGO
19th May 2014, 08:24 PM
Mate if you can step into a series 4 your will be in a better car that is current shape. Any variant in a Series 4 will be a winner mate.

If you consider Rusty's one has $10k bolted to it it was a steal!!! Your kind of right at the threshold now at $15k as the GUIvs are coming on the market in your price range. If your in that price bracket you'd be nuts to buy a flogged out 2.8 GUI or even worst a GUI ZD30

Yeah that's what I've come to think myself. There is too much out there to go that option.

OFFIGO
22nd May 2014, 07:39 AM
So checked out a 04 gu 3 dx. Was a bit rough but for only 10500 had to look. Had a pill leak from about half way down the block. Fairly extensive. Was fresh oil... Also the sump was weeping from the gasket sealant.
Apparently gets the car looked after from a 4wd mechanic but he's never seen that? Think I'm walking away from this one. Also sump looked really small is that normal?

I want to look at a r51 pathfinder aswell anyone know much about how these handle off road?

outback
24th May 2014, 11:00 PM
I want to look at a r51 pathfinder aswell anyone know much about how these handle off road?

They are a half chassis vehicle from memory. body shell front half. Not something I would push too hard on off road.

Others may have a different perspective and more upto date.

Dave_H
25th May 2014, 04:31 PM
I had a R51 petrol and it was a great car and good for light to medium 4wding but keep in mind there clearance aint very good which is what holds them back alot. If you buy an automatic R51 get the transmission
Checked as they had problems with the tranny cooler they are inside the radiator and use to split contaminating the tranny oil with coolant which is why i got rid of mine.