PDA

View Full Version : Bad Knock 1998 GU 2.8

J&R Rovers
17th May 2014, 02:20 PM
Guys
First time here. We have owned this car for 14 years, early on we did some 4wdriving around SE Qld, now full time nomads currently in SW Western Australia. The car has only done 215k, well serviced, but at 100 k Nissan dealer replaced the timing belt. A year later it stripped the front crank keyway, mechanic said it needed a crank replacement which was done along with a complete bottom end.
Yesterday driving at 90 km/h, heard this tick tick tick noise. Unable to pull off and it turned in to a knock, pulled over, towed it into a workshop.
The mechanic hasn't been able to look at it yet, but suggested a dropped valve, big end gone, dropped glow plug etc.

Because the car was shaking from side to side when stopped I am wondering about the harmonic balancer. Is this possible that it has partially collapsed ? And if so would this cause a loud knocking sound ?
I would have thought if it was any of the mechanic's suggestions it would be more of a harsh vibration rather than the sideways shaking that it is.
I am not a DIY guy and am 30 km away from where the car is with no transport (road trains and a narrow road render the trusty bike unsafe)
I want to avoid the guy pulling the engine apart if all he needs to do is look at the front end, hence the question.
Thanks for any light that can be shed on this.
Cheers
John :D

oncedisturbed
17th May 2014, 03:44 PM
No idea on the knock unfortunately but there are a few of us in WA including the SW that may be able help you out if you need a hand during your roving in WA

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

J&R Rovers
17th May 2014, 04:29 PM
To oncedisturbed
Blown away by your kind thoughts and by the help we have had by locals so far, the RAC guy and the people who made two 30 k (each way) trips to get my wife and I back to Balingup. The car is now in Donnybrook, for how long we don't know.
Hopefully RACQ are getting us a rental car, but won't get us to Bunbury, the closest depo and the bus won't take our small dog. We are house minding and have to move to the next one at Serpentine in ten days time.
Thanks again for your thoughts
Cheers
John :D