PDA

View Full Version : Diesel particulate filter?

2TROLLFAM
17th May 2014, 11:22 AM
DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER (DPF) - do I have one?? LOL

Brad was looking at Penrite oil on the net and a few types said "not suitable for vehicles fitted with DPF" He'd never heard of it & as I'm the message courier I jump on here to ask the experts :).

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

growler2058
17th May 2014, 07:07 PM
With clunkster, WTF is a particulate filter

Clunk
17th May 2014, 07:08 PM
or is it a particular filter???????

growler2058
17th May 2014, 07:14 PM
I had to get testing done on site for diesel particulate so Im just guessing

nissannewby
17th May 2014, 07:41 PM
DPF- diesel particulate filter. Just more envirnomental rubbish that causes drama. In most cases it will have a regeneration cycle so when the soot load in the filter becomes high it uses temperature to then burn the carbon and "clean" the filter.
As far as I know patrols don't have them, in aus anyway. I could be wrong do if anyone has info on if they do that would be great.

megatexture
17th May 2014, 09:43 PM
I know iveco trucks have them and from what I've herd you don't want to be parked on grass when it burns off.

Drewboyaus
17th May 2014, 09:58 PM
It might seem like environmental rubbish but diesel particulate matter is a carcinogen, particularly harmful and has been recognised as such. I have no issue with something that is designed to reduce the damage that diesel particulate matter might do to the lungs of my kids.

Alitis007
18th May 2014, 12:03 AM
With clunkster, WTF is a particulate filter
It might seem like environmental rubbish but diesel particulate matter is a carcinogen, particularly harmful and has been recognised as such. I have no issue with something that is designed to reduce the damage that diesel particulate matter might do to the lungs of my kids. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Diesel particulate filter is just like a catalytic converter for petrols, its a catalyst to change harmful gases into neutral gases but mostly change them into water.

the evil twin
18th May 2014, 12:53 AM
Diesel particulate filter is just like a catalytic converter for petrols, its a catalyst to change harmful gases into neutral gases but mostly change them into water.

You are correct but that describes a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) Filter.

Most versions of DPF's don't handle gases or water conversion as such. They are soot burners.
They trap the soot in the filter and burn it off at high temps of either:
600 degrees or higher (regeneration) which they achieve thru hi speed operation or raising EGT's by late fuel injection or injecting extra fuel
Or...
400 degrees or so by the use of a catalyst such as "adblue" which allows the lean off of the fuel to reduce soot and then the Adblue handles the spike in NOX because of the lean burn.
Adblue (or it's counterparts) are in those placcy drums you sometimes see the truckies using when they fuel up.

Pretty sure thats the guts of it... could be wrong tho

nissannewby
18th May 2014, 07:34 AM
You are correct but that describes a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) Filter.

Most versions of DPF's don't handle gases or water conversion as such. They are soot burners.
They trap the soot in the filter and burn it off at high temps of either:
600 degrees or higher (regeneration) which they achieve thru hi speed operation or raising EGT's by late fuel injection or injecting extra fuel
Or...
400 degrees or so by the use of a catalyst such as "adblue" which allows the lean off of the fuel to reduce soot and then the Adblue handles the spike in NOX because of the lean burn.
Adblue (or it's counterparts) are in those placcy drums you sometimes see the truckies using when they fuel up.

Pretty sure thats the guts of it... could be wrong tho

Pretty much spot on there ET. However a diesel can run just a catalytic converter like a petrol then you move into the more involved DPF,DOC and adblue systems.

nissannewby
18th May 2014, 07:40 AM
It might seem like environmental rubbish but diesel particulate matter is a carcinogen, particularly harmful and has been recognised as such. I have no issue with something that is designed to reduce the damage that diesel particulate matter might do to the lungs of my kids.

I understand what your saying mate but petrols create carbon monoxide which isn't good for anyone either. Things like oil aren't good for you either. When I say envirnomental rubbish is the offset of something a dpf worth added environmental costs of the materials used?? It's like electric cars mate there are some serious chemicals and materials used in those that aren't good for the environment but there is less pollution coming out the tail pipe. Is there enough offset?

If you really looked into what's good and what's bad for you, you would never leave your house.

Drewboyaus
18th May 2014, 07:41 AM
I wondered what all the signs for Add Blue were at servos......now I know! LOL

Drewboyaus
18th May 2014, 07:55 AM
I understand what your saying mate but petrols create carbon monoxide which isn't good for anyone either. Things like oil aren't good for you either. When I say envirnomental rubbish is the offset of something a dpf worth added environmental costs of the materials used?? It's like electric cars mate there are some serious chemicals and materials used in those that aren't good for the environment but there is less pollution coming out the tail pipe.

I hear you mate. I wasn't having a go. Just seeing as much diesel soot and crap on the window sills at my old place (that was nearby to a freeway) as we did makes me thankful for the more widespread use of such catalytic converters in diesels. The gasses and stuff aren't good but the micro particles can be particularly nasty.
One of the reasons I wanted to move from that house.

the evil twin
18th May 2014, 12:59 PM
I wondered what all the signs for Add Blue were at servos......now I know! LOL

Yeah... that means they have Adblue available and often in a pump supply so the truckies can fill their Adblue tanks at the bowser instead of arrsing around with containers.
That type of technology to reduce particulates is heaps better than a hi-temp soot burner but it isn't really viable in a car or even a light truck.
Uses too much space and is too complex. Works OK in the big rigs 'cept the dicking around pisses the drivers off hence the addition of pump dispensers at the truck stops etc.

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2014, 01:47 PM
rebuilt and cleaned the thread guys, very interesting. thanks for the contributions from all.

Hodge
18th May 2014, 01:50 PM
The Isuzu trucks we have at work all have this DPF feature. And every now and then they need to burn it off. There is 2 modes, green and orange. Orange mode is when you have to pull over and park the truck and let it burn off and green is where you can keep driving while it's burning off. If you miss some of these burn offs the truck goes into limp mode and does not let you go over 40kmh. Sometime it's a PITA as it wants to do its thing at the most awkward times, but yeah.

We are not allowed to park anywhere near grass or anything that can catch fire easily as the exhaust gets super hot while this thing does it's burn off.

Rumcajs
18th May 2014, 04:28 PM
Yeah... that means they have Adblue available and often in a pump supply so the truckies can fill their Adblue tanks at the bowser instead of arrsing around with containers.
That type of technology to reduce particulates is heaps better than a hi-temp soot burner but it isn't really viable in a car or even a light truck.
Uses too much space and is too complex. Works OK in the big rigs 'cept the dicking around pisses the drivers off hence the addition of pump dispensers at the truck stops etc.

The tech is called SCR or Selective Catalytic Reduction and Adblue or urea solution is used to reduce NOx content and not PM (Particulate matter or soot) however both can be directly related as efforts to limit one increases the other.

Also this type of technology is already available in cars as well e.g. Mercedes Benz "BlueTEC" engines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueTec), BMW and VW have similar stuff.

I hate to say it but what is coming to Diesels is going to be their death knell especially in private passenger vehicles as the costs of operating them will outweigh the benefits.

Here is the latest craze coming if not there already to Diesel engines near you: SCR, EGR, DOC, DPF and AHI all working together to makes sure that the air the engine inhales is dirtier and the one coming out of he exhaust pipe.

Downside is: say goodby to engines lasting 500,000 km with minimal maintenance costs...

Just guess why is Nissan so impotent in regards to Y62 and Diesel engine in it.

Australia is only catching up to this stuff but this is normal in the US, Japan and Euro nations.

Cheers

Rock Trol
1st June 2014, 10:31 PM
That's true Rumcajs. We have had to meet Euro 4 emissions since 2007 and hence why the TD42 could no longer be sold here. 2016 is the year when all new cars move to Euro 5 and then in 2017 the Euro 6 standards will be mandated. This will also mean the end of the ZD30 and probably the Y61 Patrol. What will replace it? By then all new diesels will have DPF's as the only way to meet emissions targets.

My CRD is already too complex.....might be looking at petrol or hybrid in the future.

mudnut
24th January 2019, 03:43 PM
John Cadogan method of presentation really annoys me, but he has some very poignant points about DPFs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOlDFFhuPM