PDA

View Full Version : GU 7 Dash Lights

clubbyr8
16th May 2014, 11:34 AM
I rather like blue dash lights. When I had my VZ SS Ute I paid to get all the crappy standard colour SMD leds replaced with blue ones, except the indicator, warning and high beam which were changed to orange, red and white SMD leds. These were not globes and had to be soldered on the PCB of the instrument cluster. I notice on eBay there is a blue conversion kit for series 1 to 3 patrols. These are replacement globes with blue leds. Can someone tell me if Nissan changed the dash makeup from what it is in Series 1 to 3 to what I have in my Series 7? What I mean have they gone from replaceable globes to permanent leds soldered on to the instrument cluster, or are they using some other method? I'm not concerned whether the layout has changed, I'm just interested to know if the instrument cluster lights are replaceable and if they are different to the series 1 to 3, what fitting they use..... :)

threedogs
16th May 2014, 11:59 AM
Check Ebay you can get the colour of choice for a few $$$ led style is T10.
Don't know if later models had set leds

Jordo
28th May 2014, 01:53 PM
Hi Clubby and TD,

Did you end up changing the dash light colour? I've got a GU 7 as well and want to change the globes from yellow to white. Is it a hard job to do?

clubbyr8
28th May 2014, 04:49 PM
Hi Clubby and TD,

Did you end up changing the dash light colour? I've got a GU 7 as well and want to change the globes from yellow to white. Is it a hard job to do?

No mate, haven't looked at it yet......

Dave_GU_ACT
4th June 2014, 08:19 PM
I got the colours here, plenty of them.. It's a real easy job.. Dash facia out.. Then dash.. 6 screws total. Drop the wheel then undo the 2 screws under the top of the facia. Remove by stretching the top over the wheel. Then undo the 4 screws in the dash itself. Pull the dash forward and remove the little end caps. Place LEDs in, there should be 5. Highbeam, (mines blue but just a little too bright) then the 2 indicators, mine have green LEDs then whatever colour you want in the other 2.ive used blue there and it's nice and gentle on the eyes..

altech
10th June 2014, 11:29 AM
Hi Guys , did this to my GU year ago love it , better than plain white regards Alex

threedogs
10th June 2014, 12:17 PM
Great effect I'm waiting on Mudski to be free some time soon as besides changing the colour [red]
I have white face dials to be fitted,

Flex
11th July 2014, 11:16 PM
Guy's just a quick note, blue is the not the best colour for dash illumination. It's actually the worst to see at night, your eyes are the most sensitive to the colour blue and the least sensitive to red. It has to do with the colour spectrum.

Look at this image, which colour "burns" your eyes? Red or blue?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/07/44.jpg

Basically any colour which are close to red in the spectrum are easier to see at night e.g. orange which is why Nissan (and BMW) used orange colour for the dash. That's why they use orange colour street lighting on freeways as it's calming on the eyes (at night) compared to cool white lighting.

clubbyr8
12th July 2014, 08:20 AM
Guy's just a quick note, blue is the not the best colour for dash illumination. It's actually the worst to see at night, your eyes are the most sensitive to the colour blue and the least sensitive to red. It has to do with the colour spectrum.

Look at this image, which colour "burns" your eyes? Red or blue?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/07/44.jpg

Basically any colour which are close to red in the spectrum are easier to see at night e.g. orange which is why Nissan (and BMW) used orange colour for the dash. That's why they use orange colour street lighting on freeways as it's calming on the eyes (at night) compared to cool white lighting.

Interesting Flex. Makes you wonder why Holden used green then. I changed my VZ SS Ute to blue and never had an issue, it was easier on my eyes than the green. I find with my patrol the orange is woeful, maybe it's just not bright enough even with the dimmer turned fully up. At least with the patrol it's easy to change the globes and the leds are cheap as, so I'll just experiment with it to until I get it the way I want it. The VZ SS Ute had SMD leds that had to be taken out and the blue ones resoldered in place it was a bloody pain..... :)

Flex
13th July 2014, 07:56 PM
Holden used green LEDs because they where the cheapest (along with red) when they made the switch to LED from light globes. Now white LEDs are available for almost the same price as the green.

I do agree with the brightness of the orange in the patrol, it's pretty bad.

Question to the members, what type of LEDs do the series 6 - 8 use in the cluster to illuminate the speedo/tacho dial numbers?

clubbyr8
16th August 2014, 02:33 PM
Well finally got around to taking the dash out. Bought some Blue and White T10 leds. On my dash there are only 5 dash globes. Two for meter illumination and the other three are for blinkers and high beam. Unfortunately the T10 leds don't fit. The socket is way too small as is the hole in the circuit board. So if someone has done this mod on a 2010 GU 7, what leds did you use?

clubbyr8
16th August 2014, 04:25 PM
Looks like I need T5 leds with twist sockets.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-PC74-T5-LED-Twist-Socket-Blue-Instrument-Panel-Cluster-Plug-Dash-Light-Bulb-/151292873272?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2339c20a38&_uhb=1

LaughingBeagles
22nd July 2015, 04:28 PM
Mate,

Check my yptjread here:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?34288-2010-GU-Series-VII-Instrument-Panel-LED-Replacement-Learning-from-Mistakes&p=618610#post618610

Can't do the other LEDS in a GU 7.

clubbyr8
23rd July 2015, 08:48 AM
Mate,

Check my yptjread here:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?34288-2010-GU-Series-VII-Instrument-Panel-LED-Replacement-Learning-from-Mistakes&p=618610#post618610

Can't do the other LEDS in a GU 7.

Yeah I gave up on it for a couple of reasons. I didn't want to pull the dash cluster apart and I didn't want to unsolder and then resolder SMD Leds. It can be done, but I don't have the eyesight or the patience to do it. I had a VZ SS Ute that I paid a guy to change the dash to blue. He took out over 20 SMD Leds and these things are tiny. Even with magnified glasses they are too small for me, so the dash cluster will remain standard. Shame though, the blue looked really good in the SS Ute....

threedogs
23rd July 2015, 09:09 AM
If your eyesight is failing [over 40] they say red is better for night vision lol

clubbyr8
23rd July 2015, 10:27 AM
If your eyesight is failing [over 40] they say red is better for night vision lol

I don't think my eyesight was ever good enough to solder surface mount components. When I started with the PMG, everything was big and clunky, worked in SxS (Step by Step) and Xbar (Crossbar) exchanges. MDF terminations were on tag blocks and the soldering irons had massive tips, no finesse required. When electronic exchanges were introduced, we never repaired the boards, they were simply replaced and sent away. I did play with electronics as a hobby and built many, many things, especially for model railways, amplifiers etc. With the introduction of SMD, it became too difficult for me to solder the components and I fully appreciate the skill some people have in this area.

Yes, I've heard red is the "go to colour" but I like blue leds..... :) and I'm way over 40...lol

my third 256
23rd July 2015, 04:10 PM
i got some led stip light cut from a roll bought off ebay and put it behind steering wheel cover so it shines on instrument face
put a wire to it and down to the cigarett lighter for power
good when sun shines through drivers window and makes it hard to see