Well this is what I have done:

Precision Alloy airbox
New radiator
New tyres
New brakes disks and pads front and back
New shocks
New springs

Guess what?

I've done a head gasket. The oil was like chocolate milkshake. Drained the oil and added new so I can take it to a mate to help me fix it up.
I would appreciate any helpful tips that anyone may give me.
I was quoted by a few mechanics between 2 and 4 grand. Thus I will do it myself.

Cheers

Clive

90mav
16th May 2014, 06:31 AM
I assume we are talking about an rd28? Hopefully the head has not cracked as is usually the case. I had to replace mine which cost $1500 including swapping all the valves, cam etc.,setting clearances and new head bolts gaskets and so on. I also pulled the engine out which made it heaps easier to work on. I was able to assemble it with the manifolds, pump and all the fiddley bits without leaning over the guards. I also did the clutch and flywheel at the same time which was totally worth it.
Hope this helps!

clivelm
19th May 2014, 09:53 PM
No petrol 4.2 6 cly

Dales300exc
19th May 2014, 10:12 PM
Chances are its a cracked head. Its a relatively easy job. With a workshop manual and a small amount of mechanical ability it should be a walk in the park.

clivelm
23rd May 2014, 11:48 PM
The head is not cracked. No corrosion. Replace gasket etc all good.
So far so good. Plus a shimmy for the head.
Thanks Dales300exc rather a walk in the park.

Cheers

Clive

clivelm
2nd June 2014, 02:05 PM
The head has been tested and decked. Parts acquired. Now I just need to put it together.

happygu
2nd June 2014, 05:38 PM
Excellent Clive,

Youre on the home straight now....!

clivelm
6th June 2014, 10:55 PM
Well the head is back in. Now just working out where the hoses and cables go etc.
Then radiator, fan, belts, battery, oil blah blah. I hope to have it ready by Sunday.
I was quoted 2 to 3 Grand. By doing it myself $700 with a lot of blood sweat and tears.

clivelm
6th June 2014, 11:18 PM
Does anyone know if there is something I can use to flush the motor and old oil filter.
There was water in the oil previously. I will put the new oil filter in after.
Or how should I flush the oil etc properly.
Thanks Clive

grahamap
7th June 2014, 05:32 AM
Nulon oil flush worked for me 2 for 20 at supercheap I think.. but if I were you id jjst replace filter and oil and go!

Edit: maybe change oil/ filter, flush then change it again.. might be a waste but thats how id do it to be sure all the crap was gone

Roscoe
7th June 2014, 12:08 PM
If you need to flush oil from the radiator and cooling system,use handy andy dish washing liquid,works well,we use it on the trucks at work,good luck.

clivelm
10th June 2014, 02:03 PM
45565Hi Guys,

Please help. Head just replaced.
I have run the car for 300kms.
The oil was white with some water left over from the change. The oil is now as good as gold. Perfectly clean.
The light came on this morning showing low oil pressure. Please help. Could it be a dirty oil filter after the change?

Bushy674
10th June 2014, 03:36 PM
That's a bit odd mate, the filter should bypass if blocked, how much crap went into the sump? IE old gasket etc. before you go to far is the wiring to the oil pressure sender unit ok? After a job like you have done its possible to have disturbed it, and is the sender unit working, they can shit em selves and throw the light on. Very cheap to replace too. Get somebody to put an oil pressure gauge on it to confirm.

clivelm
30th June 2014, 09:05 PM
I will update shortly. Everything is good. Love the World.

clivelm
2nd August 2014, 07:51 PM
Changed oil filter, oil etc.
The car is running well after the head gasket change.
All is running well since.
Thankyou all for your help.