PDA

View Full Version : Auto Elec Gurus - Help Please

shaun100
14th May 2014, 07:04 PM
Hi All,

I have just bought a pair of spotties which incorporate a park light type thingy.

The question I have is:

Does anyone know how I could setup a single rocker switch so if i flick one way, the parker thingys will switch on, and the other way the spotties will turn on with the middle being off for both?

Thanks in advance

04OFF
14th May 2014, 07:47 PM
You just need a 3 way switch, http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SK0991

Heaps of different toggle or rocker versions, all with centre off, and 2 different outputs each side of centre.

Just connect the spotties as normal ,(through a relay and using high beam trigger), but use one side (side 1) of the 3 way toggle as the on switch.

For the incorporated parkers, you again use a relay, and wire these lights exactly the same way you did for the spotties (complete separate circuit , except now the relay power comes from cars parker lights) then wire this trigger wire to the other side of your toggle switch (side 2)

megatexture
14th May 2014, 10:15 PM
The Parkers on the spotties are prob led and more then likely wouldn't need a relay for such low power draw.

the evil twin
15th May 2014, 01:18 AM
The Parkers on the spotties are prob led and more then likely wouldn't need a relay for such low power draw.

If it is the same as mine then Yes, thats true.

You can also consider using the spottie "parkers" as DRL's if they are LED as they will be plenty bright enough.

04OFF
15th May 2014, 04:55 AM
If it is the same as mine then Yes, thats true.

You can also consider using the spottie "parkers" as DRL's if they are LED as they will be plenty bright enough.

Only problem I can see doing that is, im pretty sure to be "legal" (meet ADRs) ,DRL's need to go OFF automatically when your headlights come on, can be done but may still need a relay anyway.

the evil twin
15th May 2014, 10:56 AM
Only problem I can see doing that is, im pretty sure to be "legal" (meet ADRs) ,DRL's need to go OFF automatically when your headlights come on, can be done but may still need a relay anyway.

Pretty much agree with you Cobber,
However the specific regs differ from state to state for retro fitted DRL's versus OE so not sure that is the same for every state.
OE DRL's can remain on whenever the ignition is on but also must have "E" marking etc etc etc.

What I was getting at (and assuming the lights are around 600mm apart or more which many spotties aren't) was people could consider wiring them as DRL's and leave the spottie circuit as normal.

Bottom line is it would need a pretty switched on dude to know the spacing distances, retro fitting regulations etc so even illegal DRL's such as LED strips are rarely defected. I would like to think most officious types would probably give you the benefit of the doubt for at least trying to do your bit for road safety

04OFF
15th May 2014, 01:04 PM
Yeh 100% hear/know what you are talking about ET, that may be fine in other states, but here in QLD we have to dot our "I"s and cross our "T"s so to speak, i know someone in a patrol who got pulled up for aftermarket DRLs, they checked the switching off with headlights, also the E symbol, and also DRLs are restricted to wattage, and i reccon yeh ,spacing and height limits will also apply.

I realise it may Sound like i might be nit picking or being anal, but seriously, if the OP lives in QLD, and the fact they can take your car off you for just 2 defects, i feel its important to stress to the OP that we know such mods are NOT legal (or explain how to do it legally)

In the old days in QLD id have taken the same casual attitude, realising id have to be very unlucky to have a problem with such petty things, and even if caught out, at worst id just have to fix it (not loose my car for a week, + loose points + fine + towage + storage costs etc)

I can tell you we get no benifit of the doubt, "ignorrance is no excuse" is the reply you will hear.

To give you a idea, I have personally been defected for something that was/is 100% legal on my patrol, when the're out to get 4x4s, look out, i carry pages of ADRs and Australian Standards regulations in my glovebox, (all relating to my car) to help address those who "think" they know all the rules.

Nanny state it is, i still don't want to live anywhere else but QLD, but you just need to stay aware of the rules if you want to modify a vehicle here.

04OFF
15th May 2014, 01:10 PM
On another note, above is a good reason why people should at least have what state they live in "location" :(

threedogs
15th May 2014, 01:55 PM
WOW 4OFF they can take your Patrol eh! tough indeed
what is the Max wattage for DRLs in Qld will be fine.

the evil twin
15th May 2014, 02:01 PM
On another note, above is a good reason why people should at least have what state they live in "location" :(

Gotta agree 100% with that...

and 3D... I think the min is 25 and max is 40 but that is not applicable to LEDs (but I am a mighty Blues supporter so I wouldn't trust me if I was one of then there maroon Toad lovers)

gaddy
15th May 2014, 02:41 PM
What 04OFF said , I've been pulled up in a rbt . (Blew zero ) and then had spotties checked for switching , tire sizing , even checked that the dummy tail lights were not connected , did two laps of the car and boat , finally got me for not having tie downs on the rear of the boat ,

lhurley
15th May 2014, 02:53 PM
What 04OFF said , I've been pulled up in a rbt . (Blew zero ) and then had spotties checked for switching , tire sizing , even checked that the dummy tail lights were not connected , did two laps of the car and boat , finally got me for not having tie downs on the rear of the boat ,

Checked the dummy lights werent connected? I know in QLD at least, you need to have you lower lights working, but i didnt know that you couldnt have the uppers wired up? Sorry for letting people behind me know my intentions i guess.

And 04OFF, the can impound you on the spot after 1 offense, to the police officers discretion. (Happy to be corrected) So basically in QLD if a cop doesnt like you, your screwed.

04OFF
15th May 2014, 04:04 PM
I guess the uppers are not ADR approved as "lights" Lachlan, so not legal ?

Heres some reading for you...... :smile:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L03991

Yes first offence, but think its still 2 defects = impound

@ gaddy: Bet you thought you would be fine as you entered a RBT Steve, because you were sober :redface:

Very recently they have been targeting anyone for the uncovered load law, i challenge anyone in brisbane to find a tray back ute driving around "without" some sort of net covering everything in the back.

gaddy
15th May 2014, 05:12 PM
I guess the uppers are not ADR approved as "lights" Lachlan, so not legal ?

Heres some reading for you...... :smile:

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L03991

Yes first offence, but think its still 2 defects = impound

@ gaddy: Bet you thought you would be fine as you entered a RBT Steve, because you were sober :redface:

Very recently they have been targeting anyone for the uncovered load law, i challenge anyone in brisbane to find a tray back ute driving around "without" some sort of net covering everything in the back.

Steve if someone is going to get fined for something it will be me , i even cleaned the mud of my number plate and light after glasshouse , the copper seamed to know his stuff , when I asked about the tail lights he said the lights never passed ADR because of the way the spare tyre sits ?

Lachlan I was in manly when I got checked ! :):beer:

megatexture
15th May 2014, 05:25 PM

Yep I can vouch for this one but I got done speeding and then he decided to give me a fine for a milk crate that wasn't tied down 300 odd bucks no points but he said he gave me a private one as if he gave me a commercial one it would have been a hell of a lot more and points also..... I think the moron thought he was being nice ...

shaun100
15th May 2014, 05:41 PM
Ok so I have an idea in my head, as follows:

2 x relays, 1 switched by parkers, 1 switched by hi beam.

3 way toggle in cabin each outer pin connected to each relays earth, with the centre pin earthed to car.

Parkers on, i flick toggle one way and it switches parkers in Spotties.

Hi Beam on, flick toggle switch other way and it will turn on spots.

Does this sound feasable?

Cheers

the evil twin
15th May 2014, 07:08 PM
Ok so I have an idea in my head, as follows:

2 x relays, 1 switched by parkers, 1 switched by hi beam.

3 way toggle in cabin each outer pin connected to each relays earth, with the centre pin earthed to car.

Parkers on, i flick toggle one way and it switches parkers in Spotties.

Hi Beam on, flick toggle switch other way and it will turn on spots.

Does this sound feasable?

Cheers

Yes, that will work fine