PDA

View Full Version : LED Bar - where to run wire to roof rack

Headhoncho67
14th May 2014, 07:00 PM
Hi there,
I've picked up a 30 degree 32" light bar & want to mount it on the roof basket.
I'm struggling to find where to run the wiring to the roof.

Anyone have a suggestion on how/where?

(On a separate note - Coax back into cab to UHF too!)

1989 LWB - petrol - Auto

Appreciate any help

Thanks!

lhurley
14th May 2014, 07:04 PM
Could run it up the snorkel (if you have 1) or just loop it over the gutter just about the b pillar

Headhoncho67
14th May 2014, 07:28 PM
No snorkel.....

b pillar??

MudRunnerTD
14th May 2014, 07:39 PM
Yep mine is on the B Pullar.

The A Pillar is the first pillar at the windscreen
The B Pillar is between the front Nd back doors
The C Pillar is where the back doors close
And the D Pillar I'd the rear corners of the car

I have run the power up the B pillar and installed an Anderson Plug next to the grab rail there then out the back door and up onto the roof. I have my light bar mounted over the B Pillar and have no light on the bonnet

mudski
14th May 2014, 07:41 PM
This is what I did...

Headhoncho67
14th May 2014, 07:57 PM
Ahhh - fantastic!
Really appreciate your help!

mudski
14th May 2014, 08:02 PM
No probs. You then run the wire inside the roof lining and down the left pillar and under the dash to your switch. Nice and neat...

FNQGU
14th May 2014, 08:07 PM
Mudski is that cable wearing through or is it just dirt? Those two parallel light coloured marks.

mudski
14th May 2014, 08:11 PM
Dirt mate from the door rubber. Its been this way for over twelve months and there is no signs of wear. I used 4mm twin core wire. You could even use 3mm twin core if you can find it I reckon. But the 4mm I used is fine.

FNQGU
14th May 2014, 09:01 PM
Cheers.

Did you just notch it with the angle grinder?

I imagine you could just run that wire right down the inside of the B-Pillar and then along the floor channel too. Might be a metre or so longer of cable required I suppose.

Where did you tap into your power source?

mudski
14th May 2014, 09:13 PM
Cheers.

Did you just notch it with the angle grinder?

I imagine you could just run that wire right down the inside of the B-Pillar and then along the floor channel too. Might be a metre or so longer of cable required I suppose.

Where did you tap into your power source?

Get yourself a Dremel mate. Best tool on earth! As for power source, its wired the same as you would for spotties. Its own switch where it can only be activated via high beams.

my third 256
15th May 2014, 08:48 AM
isnt it illegal to have the lights behind the drivers head and ontop of the bull bar
thought i read it somewhere not that long ago

BigRAWesty
15th May 2014, 09:28 AM
isnt it illegal to have the lights behind the drivers head and ontop of the bull bar
thought i read it somewhere not that long ago

Driving lights yes, work lights no..

threedogs
15th May 2014, 12:07 PM
I did basically the same as Mudski but put a 50amp Anderson plug on
so I could remove light bar or roof rack. Cables then went down inside "B" pillar to switch on dash
Wired to my Aux battery via a fuse/thermo coupling

firm351
15th May 2014, 01:38 PM
This is what I did...

G'day mudski, I was thinking of mounting a light bar the same way you have done it under your roof rack.

How far back from the top of the windscreen is the light bar and do you get any light shining on the bonnet?

mudski
21st May 2014, 06:28 PM
G'day mudski, I was thinking of mounting a light bar the same way you have done it under your roof rack.

How far back from the top of the windscreen is the light bar and do you get any light shining on the bonnet?

Hey mate. I had to mount it down as low as possible and it sits just forward of my head. I had it up higher but I was blinded by the reflection off the white bonnet. All good now. I can also unplug mine when I want to remove the roof rack. I just used those Narva waterproof connections for this...

firm351
21st May 2014, 08:18 PM
Hey mate. I had to mount it down as low as possible and it sits just forward of my head. I had it up higher but I was blinded by the reflection off the white bonnet. All good now. I can also unplug mine when I want to remove the roof rack. I just used those Narva waterproof connections for this...

Cheers buddy looks like that's where I'll be mounting one when I finally get around to getting one.

bindi
26th May 2014, 11:39 AM
So if you mount your light bar on your roof rack, doesn't the light shine right on your bonnet and provide glare (i have a silver car so it could be some reflection)?
cheers
Mark

lucus30
26th May 2014, 12:39 PM
So if you mount your light bar on your roof rack, doesn't the light shine right on your bonnet and provide glare (i have a silver car so it could be some reflection)?
cheers
Mark

Mount it far enough back on your roof and you won't have a problem.

mudski
26th May 2014, 05:05 PM
cheers
Mark

Mylight bar sits about 5mm off the roof and is just forward of my head. the light just misses the bonnet where it is now. I had it higher up and was blinded by the shine on a white bonnet.

megatexture
26th May 2014, 06:54 PM
If you have a white fibreglass antenna you will need to paint it or heat shrink it or it will blind you also

mudski
26th May 2014, 07:19 PM
If you have a white fibreglass antenna you will need to paint it or heat shrink it or it will blind you also

Yeah I spray painted mine satin black.

Darryl Weber
26th May 2014, 07:28 PM
Just read the full thread on lightbar wiring and have to say. Down the b pillar what a great idea:-)would never have thought of that. Know how I will be doing mine now,thanks.

Headhoncho67
27th May 2014, 06:01 PM
Works great!