PDA

View Full Version : New Telstra Ute Advice

rafa
14th May 2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Guys.

As you know I've been having a few issues lately with my. 02 42Td ex Telstra ute. While the engine etc is holding up well the rest of the ute is hurting with the week in week out rough work I need it to do.

I have to seriously look at upgrading ASAP and love the ute I have. So here's the thing I hear horror stories about the 3.0L ute but just wondered if they are justified.

I'm going to start looking at Pickles for a newer model but wondered if there was a particular year they got better or what I should look for.

I'm thinking buying at around 80,000 km and out of it 180,000 my 42td was fine up to 200K

I'll transfer over most of my mods to the new pod.

Any advice gratefully received.

Marty

threedogs
14th May 2014, 10:08 AM
IMO you already have the best,,, you can beef up the chassis at the rear.
You may have to upgrade your GVM rating, do you know what you weigh ATM
I don't think buying newer will solve your problem, same weight smaller motor

MudRunnerTD
14th May 2014, 10:25 AM
Yeah I agree. What damage are you sustaining? The TD you have is the ducks guts mate, you can do a few things to it and it will purr. It will still be good for another 300,000kms no problems.

Unless you need to turn it over for Tax reasons I'd be spending a little on it to brace the chassis weak points (you should do this with the new one anyway) and stick with the one you have.

What sort of tyre pressures are you running? Yours is a Leaf spring rear yes?

Cuppa
14th May 2014, 01:50 PM
I believe Ex Telstra will already have the necessary extra chassis bracing?

I also doubt that buying a newer Patrol will improve things except in the short term & would think that the money might be better spent on fixing/replacing what is worn/tired on the current vehicle. At least that way you still have a more readily fixable vehicle in remote areas.

As MR suggests, tyre pressure could be an issue, as could average speeds & driving style. If these are part of the story & you can’t afford to slow down then perhaps a replacement vehicle with a different suspension set up might be the go. Eg. OKA’s can go all day on the roughest roads at 100kph & cope well because of their suspension set up, but of course they still need good regular maintenance.

So what sort of things are you finding are becoming problems? I guess any vehicle which gets a hard life is going to deteriorate quicker than one which is mollycoddled.

rafa
14th May 2014, 07:11 PM
Yeah I have to agree with you as does my wife.

I actually drive pretty steady. Usually 50-80 on gravel on sit at a 100 on hard top.

Tyres I run at 60 all round. ((Advice from tyreshop)

I'll know more when the mechanic call me tonight. (I'm still out bush)

Thanks Guys.

I think she's a keeper eh.

Maybe new suspension required.

What else can I replace in anticipation, I just need to reduce the risk of a failure like this so remote again.

Marty.

MudRunnerTD
14th May 2014, 07:31 PM
Wholly Bat Sh1t mate!!! What tyres are you running? Your tyre shop man is a Goose!! How much do you weigh?

Man I'd be at 25psi mate max. And that would be the hot temp. Wow you must be smashing your car to bits mate!!!

MudRunnerTD
14th May 2014, 07:32 PM
Air down to 25 when you hit the gravel and airup when you hit the had top

rafa
14th May 2014, 07:39 PM
Wholly Bat Sh1t mate!!! What tyres are you running? Your tyre shop man is a Goose!! How much do you weigh?

Man I'd be at 25psi mate max. And that would be the hot temp. Wow you must be smashing your car to bits mate!!!

Not sure what the pod weighs. But 200L fuel 85L fridge plus honda gen and about 200Kg tools n stuff. Oh and added roof top tent

What would you run on bitumen.

I have a tyredog pressure monitor and hot pressure gets up to high 60's

I have split rims and Kenda tyres

MudRunnerTD
14th May 2014, 07:51 PM
How are your tyres wearing? How many kms on them?

If they are wearing in the middle then they are over inflated.

I would have them at at least 45

rafa
14th May 2014, 08:20 PM
How are your tyres wearing? How many kms on them?

If they are wearing in the middle then they are over inflated.

I would have them at at least 45

Pretty even. I think he was saying the higher pressure would attract less tyre wall damage / punctures, but if it's shaking my ute to buts I'll drop the pressure like a hot rock.

I'm not a mechanic so just go with what I know.

Cuppa
14th May 2014, 08:24 PM
I had to run my tyres at 68psi when I had the split rim ‘cheese cutters’ (235/85) which came fitted from Telstra. When mentioning these pressures here I received the ‘jaw drop’ response from others unused to heavier Patrols on narrow tyres. It was the main reason for changing to wider tyres. (265/75) I now run 40psi front & 45 or 50psi rear, & would drop this a bit when on long stretches of dirt. The lower pressures has made a big difference to driving comfort & will treat the car more kindly. I would suggest that if you are going to get new suspension that you get some new rims & tyres too. Ensure the rims have sufficient load rating.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?21191-New-wheels-etc&highlight=wheels

rafa
15th May 2014, 06:02 PM
Ok so I'm going to keep her.

If I upgrade/renew the suspension does it have to be ARB to keep the increase in GVM?

Cheers

threedogs
15th May 2014, 06:06 PM
have a talk to Iron man on this Forum then you can tell them exactly what you do and what you want,
cause what works for one may not work for another

Cuppa
15th May 2014, 11:00 PM
Ok so I'm going to keep her.

If I upgrade/renew the suspension does it have to be ARB to keep the increase in GVM?

Cheers

To keep the increase in GVM? Are you saying that you already have an upgraded GVM? Or are you assuming that the ARB Old Man Emu suspension fitted by Telstra gives an increased GVM? If the latter, this is not so. GVM (legal total weight of vehicle including everything it carries) is not the same as ‘load carrying capacity’. It is my belief that Telstra, renowned for carrying heavy loads, would have commonly run these Patrols at over the GVM & that they likely took the view, as a large corporation, that if any claims were made against them resulting from any accident where weight was considered an issue that the risk of a payout was probably less costly than compliancing all of their vehicles. As I don’t have a corporate bank balance I felt it more prudent to get the GVM increased (3400kg to 3900kg) & to stay within it.

As far as I know there are only two companies who do bolt in kits to increase GVM, Lovells & another who’s name escapes me at the moment. These kits are made for the 3.0 litre Patrols (same chassis & brakes as ours) & intended to be fitted before the vehicle is first registered. However they can be fitted to our vehicles to gain an increased GVM but because it is retrospective & being fitted to a different model it requires inspection & approval by an engineer, obviously costing over & above the kit. The same could be achieved without a kit, but the engineering costs for such a one off would be horrendously high. Note that getting a complianced increase in GVM is probably not going to increase the load carrying ability of that provided by the OME HD 10 leaf suspension, but it does make it legal for insurance purposes. Nice to know in the event of an accident. If the OME suspension is knackered (likely) the new suspension all round (springs, shocks, bushes etc) will make quite a difference. Cost to me was $5200 to have the full kit fitted, brake proportioning altered & all the ‘engineering’. (Engineering was $1200 - Some folk have used engineers who charged less, depends upon the luck of the draw as to how much the engineer local to you charges). Since then I fitted the wider tyres & upgraded front brakes. So not cheap ........ but it’s a much better car.

Before doing anything else you should load your vehicle as it would normally be, including full water & fuel tanks & get it weighed (including yourself). I reckon you might be surprised at how heavy it is. Most of the blokes here would be looking at up to 3 tonnes in everyday use, & up to 4 tonnes fully packed for occasional trips. I’m guessing you will be close to 4 tonnes most of the time like me. There is a price to pay for this weight - every kilo means additional wear & tear on the vehicle.

The following two threads may be of interest:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18755-I-finally-did-it-stressful-day!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19386-Lovells-suspension

Cuppa

rafa
16th May 2014, 07:44 AM
To keep the increase in GVM? Are you saying that you already have an upgraded GVM? Or are you assuming that the ARB Old Man Emu suspension fitted by Telstra gives an increased GVM? If the latter, this is not so. GVM (legal total weight of vehicle including everything it carries) is not the same as ‘load carrying capacity’. It is my belief that Telstra, renowned for carrying heavy loads, would have commonly run these Patrols at over the GVM & that they likely took the view, as a large corporation, that if any claims were made against them resulting from any accident where weight was considered an issue that the risk of a payout was probably less costly than compliancing all of their vehicles. As I don’t have a corporate bank balance I felt it more prudent to get the GVM increased (3400kg to 3900kg) & to stay within it.

As far as I know there are only two companies who do bolt in kits to increase GVM, Lovells & another who’s name escapes me at the moment. These kits are made for the 3.0 litre Patrols (same chassis & brakes as ours) & intended to be fitted before the vehicle is first registered. However they can be fitted to our vehicles to gain an increased GVM but because it is retrospective & being fitted to a different model it requires inspection & approval by an engineer, obviously costing over & above the kit. The same could be achieved without a kit, but the engineering costs for such a one off would be horrendously high. Note that getting a complianced increase in GVM is probably not going to increase the load carrying ability of that provided by the OME HD 10 leaf suspension, but it does make it legal for insurance purposes. Nice to know in the event of an accident. If the OME suspension is knackered (likely) the new suspension all round (springs, shocks, bushes etc) will make quite a difference. Cost to me was $5200 to have the full kit fitted, brake proportioning altered & all the ‘engineering’. (Engineering was $1200 - Some folk have used engineers who charged less, depends upon the luck of the draw as to how much the engineer local to you charges). Since then I fitted the wider tyres & upgraded front brakes. So not cheap ........ but it’s a much better car.

Before doing anything else you should load your vehicle as it would normally be, including full water & fuel tanks & get it weighed (including yourself). I reckon you might be surprised at how heavy it is. Most of the blokes here would be looking at up to 3 tonnes in everyday use, & up to 4 tonnes fully packed for occasional trips. I’m guessing you will be close to 4 tonnes most of the time like me. There is a price to pay for this weight - every kilo means additional wear & tear on the vehicle.

The following two threads may be of interest:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18755-I-finally-did-it-stressful-day!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19386-Lovells-suspension

Cuppa

Ok thanks Cuppa, I'm not sure what you mean about engineering etc that you paid, mine has a 2nd compliance plate for the GVM increase, do I need to renew it? Or was it that some Telstra Utes didn't have it?

I will take your advice and weigh it for sure. The Old Man Emu suspension standard on the Telstra troll is also a lift??

I really appreciate your input

Marty

threedogs
16th May 2014, 08:24 AM
What is your new GVM as written/stamped on the compliance plate ?

rafa
16th May 2014, 08:36 AM
What is your new GVM as written/stamped on the compliance plate ?

From memory (ute in Darwin being fixed) I think it's 3800

threedogs
16th May 2014, 08:43 AM
So you already have an up graded GMV, so I take it the Patrol sits nice and level.?
If not I would suggest some bellows/airbags in the rear to level it out.
Also the chassis strengthening kit comes it a bolt on or weld on kit;
Give Michael a call at Superior. I would also be fitting rebuildable Koni extreme shocks
Pricey but very good shocks, or some kind of remote canister shock.

My mate had this very problem on a GU Tipper ute with a tray-on camper top fitted all coil.
we got it sorted quickly over a few beers lol

Cuppa
16th May 2014, 04:09 PM
From memory (ute in Darwin being fixed) I think it's 3800

Lucky you if you already have an increased GVM/2nd compliance plate. Many don’t. In fact this is the first Ex Telstra Patrol I’ve heard of with an uprated GVM.
I would think that strictly speaking if it was complianced with the OME gear, you should probably stick with that. However if you’ve got the plate you’ve got the plate & in that situation provided you ensured that whatever you replaced the old suspension with had at least the same load carrying capacity you should be ok ------- but I’m not a lawyer.

Cuppa

EDIT. Based on the info I was given by the people who fitted my GVM upgrade air bags are to be avoided like the plague on leaf sprung Patrols. They had a fair bit of experience trying to beef up Patrol utes for the copmpanies servicing local mines. These utes run very heavy, up to 5 tonnes. Their experience with airbags was a disaster - broken chassis’ being a common outcome. Problem apparently is that the airbags focus all the forces into one section of each side of the chassis, rather than spreading the load as the leaves are designed to do. I expect that this is less of a problem on Patrols running less weight, but in Rafa’s case he’ll be heavier than many AND using it over consistently rough ground, so I think airbags would not be a good option. Airbags used in conjunction with coil sprung Patrols may be a different ballgame.

DX grunt
16th May 2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Cuppa.

I'm seriously considering upping my towing capacity from 2500 to 3200kg and I was told that I could upgrade the towball/towbar and put in airbags. But first I must seek govt approval, do the mods and then put it over the pits. Eventually I wanna buy a caravan with most of the fruit, but I still want the freedom of DX grunt for remote camping.

Rossco

rafa
17th May 2014, 08:03 PM
Have you seen these from ironman. Bought one $99. Worth a shot.

Cuppa
17th May 2014, 08:27 PM
. Worth a shot.

Hmmmm, unless it lets you down far from anywhere!
Have just been reading comments about them on other forums. Mixed reviews. The bits which caught my attention were ‘harsher ride’ & ’snapped u bolts’. I’ll be interested in how you find them.

What are the suspension problems you’ve experienced?

rafa
17th May 2014, 09:37 PM
Hmmmm, unless it lets you down far from anywhere!
Have just been reading comments about them on other forums. Mixed reviews. The bits which caught my attention were ‘harsher ride’ & ’snapped u bolts’. I’ll be interested in how you find them.

What are the suspension problems you’ve experienced?

I haven't really had any. Just said it assists in rough conditions with load distribution so thought worth a shot. Am pricing up replacing all suspension.

Rear leaves look flat when loaded

the evil twin
18th May 2014, 12:33 AM
I am always somewhat perplexed about many points or solutions in discussions around mods and after market fixes to suspensions on heavily loaded vehicles of any description.

Pretty much the entire vehicle is engineered around the designed loads and then specified accordingly by the manuf. The braking system, transmission from clutch to wheel studs and every bit in between and of course the suspension.

The manuf then comes up with some figures such as GVM but is also very specific about loads on the particular axle groups.
Now, of course the engineers have put in a design factor (same concept but not the same magnitude as a rated shackle for example) BUT remember strength increases weight, is expensive, reduces performance and affects fuel and emmissiosn so you can be assured they don't build in all that much overhead.

So these numbers become an equivalent to the SWL and everyone here knows what the response would be to someone who suggested we fudge SWL on Snatch Blocks, Shackles or whatever.

If a Ute is dragging it's arse like a dog with worms then something is wrong. OK, it may just be worn out springs so get them reset or go after market or whatever.

If you need to exceed the max manuf specified inflation pressure of tyres then something is wrong. OK, you may just need to change the tyre size or load rating BUT if those tyres are spec'd by the vehicle manuf then something is absolutely wrong (not saying thats what you did Cuppa just using an example)

If you carry a load that exceeds the weight allowed for the axle group then something is wrong. OK, thats easy to point the finger at the cause , its the operator.

My first point is that you can easily be under GVM but overload a Tray and therefore the rear axle especially if you have load levelling devices.
Sure they make the vehicle steer a lot better and maybe even brake better but probably not by much and certainly not for long under repeated brake applications BUT the forces generated by the load still have to go somewhere and where they go is the spring hangers/towers, chassis rails, brake effort, increased torque loads in the diffs, axles etc, increased shear on the wheel studs etc just to rattle a few off.

In the last year I have had to deal with a Navara with a bent chassis (6 degrees) that never went anywhere near GVM loads but DID have very uneven loading practiced by the operators. I am still embroiled in a bitter dispute with another operator who cannot understand why you can't carry 11 people in a Troopy and an extra fuel tank and a steel winch bar and winch and 3 batteries and 200 KG on the roof and 150 KG under the troop seats and tow a trailer.

So... my second point. GVM upgrades are available. Some of the very modest ones require minimal engineering but still need attention regarding axle groups.
Others require very intensive engineering and modifications to chassis, braking systems, transmission components etc.
I believe that, for example, one figure is a minimum of 0.5 G braking at the new GVM
That may entail new tyres, rims, brakes, rotors, booster etc etc

Bottom line is IMHO, rafa, you may need to consider that the Patrol is possibly not the right vehicle and an LR/MR or F Truck or whatever is more appropriate.
I am a big fan of the Iveco Daily 4x4 Cab Chassis for example. I have been assisting in evaluation of these for Gov't here in WA and jeez, they are a very very capable bit of kit.
Chasing extra GVM out of a Patrol can be a very expensive exercise on a $ per KG ratio.

threedogs
18th May 2014, 09:09 AM
Have you seen these from ironman. Bought one $99. Worth a shot.

These are in the states but adjustable they were to stop body roll and flex
I personally think you need decent air bags or if leaf spring get add a coil fitted to the rear to level out your Patrol

OOI how many leaf springs are on your ute Rafa

Cuppa
18th May 2014, 11:08 AM
I totally agree with everything you said ET. Good post.

I consider my uprated GVM modest in comparison to the loads I know some Patrols like mine carry, but nevertheless still think it prudent to avoid subjecting my vehicle to any more 'stress' than necessary. It is a tourer, & I know that if I used it as an off road toy, seeking obstacles as challenges rather than taking the 'easier' way round whenever possible that it's life would be far more limited. On long distance rough roads I am happy to drive slowly. 80kph may well be easy to maintain across the corrugations, but I am happy to stick at half that or less. It is the difference between being on a schedule or not. I can well imagine many here may be unable to comprehend driving 100’s of kms at such slow speeds, but I've done it & had a ball. You see so much more & the trip becomes far more than just 'getting there'...... and importantly it places far less stress on the vehicle.

The difference between the impact of a one off outback trip @ 80kph + & regular similar trips in a heavy Patrol is likely significant. In my case, wanting the vehicle to last me another 10 years plus of outback touring, or in Rafa's case - regular Arnhemland travel, has the potential to take a heavy toll on a heavy Patrol. This leads me to the same conclusion as yourself ..... that it is possible that unless Rafa has the 'luxury' of taking longer to get to places (unlikely I guess) that he either needs a far more expensive vehicle suitable for the purpose, or has to accept more regular repairs & replacements than others whose Patrols are not subjected to the same weight & regular harsh conditions. If his choice is the Patrol a serious Jenny Craig approach would probably be a wise move.

Regarding the tyre sizes fitted by Telstra, these were I believe used in order to utilise the split rims, & were narrower than those specified by Nissan. The pressure needed in them was indeed high, but within the tyres specification. Seems like an curious choice to me, but the only reason I can think of is that Telstra valued the virtues of the split rims over the reduced longevity of a vehicle, caused by the harsher ride in vehicles they had no intention of keeping long term. I imagine the use of these rims & tyres did not result in increased puncture rates though, or presumably they wouldn't have persisted with them.

Cuppa

ps. TD - they are 10 leaf spring packs. If sitting flat when loaded they are either knackered, or the vehicle is seriously overloaded, or both. Either way I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before a spring pack breaks, regardless of those helper springs. In the sort of places Rafa is driving the consequences of this could be more than an inconvenience. Airbags also wont fix knackered springs.

threedogs
18th May 2014, 12:32 PM
If you think the Telstra utes break have a look at one of those CAT service utes.
10 leaf pack would be Mine spec wouldn't they ?
Next time youre in town Rafa drive over a weigh bridge and see what you get,
that will be a good starting point,
@ Cuppa as for driving slow up FNQ it took 8hrs to travel 30 odd Ks, that was back in '83
and we still talk about that road to this day.
Every dirt road has its happy spot be it 30k on the Gibb river rd before the grader or 60k going out to the dig tree.
Drive to conditions what and where ever they are

Cuppa
18th May 2014, 02:09 PM
Drive to conditions what and where ever they are

The point I was trying to make is that the cumulative impact of rough roads driven regularly on a heavy Patrol could be mitigated to an extent by driving at a lower speed than 'to the conditions, if the driver has the 'luxury' of time.

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2014, 02:22 PM
Regardless of this being a Nissan Patrol Forum i think ET may have the best call mate. unfortunately!

Something like this OKA

Or for the win an Ex Army UNIMOG

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2014, 02:31 PM
This would make the start of a Sik Build Rafa! sort out a decent Camper / service body on the back and your set mate!

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0002-5009980/transport-trucks-and-trailers/mercedes-benz-unimog-ul1700l-flat-top-4x4-cargo-truck-11-1986

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2014, 02:40 PM
Wow one of these Canter500/600 with the Ambulance service body would be a bloody rippa mate!! Near ready to go!!

You could spend some serious Coin though!!

threedogs
18th May 2014, 03:15 PM
Wow one of these Canter500/600 with the Ambulance service body would be a bloody rippa mate!! Near ready to go!!

You could spend some serious Coin though!!

Not so squeezie but a great choice

threedogs
18th May 2014, 03:18 PM
The point I was trying to make is that the cumulative impact of rough roads driven regularly on a heavy Patrol could be mitigated to an extent by driving at a lower speed than 'to the conditions, if the driver has the 'luxury' of time.

That's what I thought you said, there is nothing between the lines
All I was saying our most memorable drive was the slowest

rafa
18th May 2014, 10:16 PM
The damage

Water in diff seems to be culprit?

rafa
1st June 2014, 09:10 PM
I am always somewhat perplexed about many points or solutions in discussions around mods and after market fixes to suspensions on heavily loaded vehicles of any description.

Pretty much the entire vehicle is engineered around the designed loads and then specified accordingly by the manuf. The braking system, transmission from clutch to wheel studs and every bit in between and of course the suspension.

The manuf then comes up with some figures such as GVM but is also very specific about loads on the particular axle groups.
Now, of course the engineers have put in a design factor (same concept but not the same magnitude as a rated shackle for example) BUT remember strength increases weight, is expensive, reduces performance and affects fuel and emmissiosn so you can be assured they don't build in all that much overhead.

So these numbers become an equivalent to the SWL and everyone here knows what the response would be to someone who suggested we fudge SWL on Snatch Blocks, Shackles or whatever.

If a Ute is dragging it's arse like a dog with worms then something is wrong. OK, it may just be worn out springs so get them reset or go after market or whatever.

If you need to exceed the max manuf specified inflation pressure of tyres then something is wrong. OK, you may just need to change the tyre size or load rating BUT if those tyres are spec'd by the vehicle manuf then something is absolutely wrong (not saying thats what you did Cuppa just using an example)

If you carry a load that exceeds the weight allowed for the axle group then something is wrong. OK, thats easy to point the finger at the cause , its the operator.

My first point is that you can easily be under GVM but overload a Tray and therefore the rear axle especially if you have load levelling devices.
Sure they make the vehicle steer a lot better and maybe even brake better but probably not by much and certainly not for long under repeated brake applications BUT the forces generated by the load still have to go somewhere and where they go is the spring hangers/towers, chassis rails, brake effort, increased torque loads in the diffs, axles etc, increased shear on the wheel studs etc just to rattle a few off.

In the last year I have had to deal with a Navara with a bent chassis (6 degrees) that never went anywhere near GVM loads but DID have very uneven loading practiced by the operators. I am still embroiled in a bitter dispute with another operator who cannot understand why you can't carry 11 people in a Troopy and an extra fuel tank and a steel winch bar and winch and 3 batteries and 200 KG on the roof and 150 KG under the troop seats and tow a trailer.

So... my second point. GVM upgrades are available. Some of the very modest ones require minimal engineering but still need attention regarding axle groups.
Others require very intensive engineering and modifications to chassis, braking systems, transmission components etc.
I believe that, for example, one figure is a minimum of 0.5 G braking at the new GVM
That may entail new tyres, rims, brakes, rotors, booster etc etc

Bottom line is IMHO, rafa, you may need to consider that the Patrol is possibly not the right vehicle and an LR/MR or F Truck or whatever is more appropriate.
I am a big fan of the Iveco Daily 4x4 Cab Chassis for example. I have been assisting in evaluation of these for Gov't here in WA and jeez, they are a very very capable bit of kit.
Chasing extra GVM out of a Patrol can be a very expensive exercise on a $ per KG ratio.

I just ordered a 4x4 dual cab Iveco. Thanks for the heads up on it. Extended test drive on rough corrugated roads was amazing. Standard equipment is unreal. So sadly the patrol days are numbered. Wonder if I can stay in this forum.

Thanks again.

Marty.

MudRunnerTD
1st June 2014, 09:35 PM
I just ordered a 4x4 dual cab Iveco. Thanks for the heads up on it. Extended test drive on rough corrugated roads was amazing. Standard equipment is unreal. So sadly the patrol days are numbered. Wonder if I can stay in this forum.

Thanks again.

Marty.

Your very welcome to hang around Marty. Good luck with the new bus mate.

Cuppa
1st June 2014, 10:19 PM
Looking forward to seeing pics of your new wheels.
A mate is currently getting a single cab 4x4 Daily converted to a camper by TravelTrucks.

45250 http://traveltrucks.com.au

rafa
1st June 2014, 11:08 PM
I was amazed at what comes standard. Even has switch to turn off fan for deep water crossings. 3 air lockers standard and 2 air suspension seats plus 4 accros the back. I'm going to put my pod on the back so it's still sort of connected to this forum family. :)

rafa
12th June 2014, 02:00 PM

It's nearly ready for pick up.

threedogs
12th June 2014, 02:08 PM
that looks the goods what is going to happen to the Patrol Cab chassis now, when its all repaired?

MudRunnerTD
12th June 2014, 04:59 PM
Wow that pod goes on there real nice mate. Just sits down under the roof line of he can nicely. Are you swapping out the wheels and tyres for something a little more aggressive? Bull bar or any other bar work planned?

rafa
15th June 2014, 11:45 PM
Wow that pod goes on there real nice mate. Just sits down under the roof line of he can nicely. Are you swapping out the wheels and tyres for something a little more aggressive? Bull bar or any other bar work planned?

Bull bar. Dual winch. Heaps to do. But does look it's meant to be there eh !

threedogs
16th June 2014, 09:01 AM

It's nearly ready for pick up.
what rim/ tyres are suitable, what stud pattern do they use.
and you're right looks like its meant to be there

rafa
17th June 2014, 12:40 AM
I'm going to run these tyres for the dry. Then add 6x39" muddies for the wet. Not sure which yet.

Bull bar etc on way. Fair bit still to do but will post pics when I get it done.

I'm going to get a new tray made for the ute and sell it.

rafa
14th July 2014, 01:25 PM

It's an amazing vehicle so far

threedogs
14th July 2014, 01:28 PM
we hate you lol
Plenty more room too I'd imagine.
Did all the gear fit without much fuss. good to hear from you too BTW
As for weight whats your max now. and what does the lot weigh
looks a lot less stressed, You have picked the right vehicle for the job at hand IMO

Cuppa
14th July 2014, 02:26 PM
Yep, envy here too. I reckon your decision was a good one ........ enjoy.

macca
14th July 2014, 06:38 PM
That is a good work set up for you. What a fantastic package, how do you go accessing the pod for your gear?

rafa
15th July 2014, 09:59 AM
It certainly seems boss of the job so far. Weight us no issue now. GVM 4500. The ride on the parabolic suspension is amazing. Ha re the pod height. Is a bit of an issue. But bought a wheel step. The folding type. Fuel out to Ramingining on sh@t roads was 13.3/100 so pretty fantastic. Lots of power too. Over all very very happy

Hardyards
15th July 2014, 10:17 AM
Damn you,
Haven’t finished my Ute, and now I like your setup..... Money means I stay with what I have (and I still do like my 4.2).
Well done on your new rig mate

macca
15th July 2014, 10:24 AM
13.3 litres a hundred, not a hope in hell in my fun buggy LOL
Averaged 17.1 for last years outback trip!

threedogs
15th July 2014, 12:43 PM
13/100 just shows how un stressed your set up is .
sounds like you are driving around empty,
Horses for courses and you picked the right horse.

can you remember your fuel figures for the Patrol??

rafa
15th July 2014, 01:16 PM
On the 42TD is was around 18.5 /100 average.

threedogs
15th July 2014, 01:26 PM
That's a huge difference when you consider the Ks you are doing.
Is it as easy to work out of or does the step help.
A nice long step the length of the pod might work

rafa
15th July 2014, 01:55 PM
I always get all my stuff out when I get there. Use the step. Easy. No issue at all. Being 6'1" helps I guess. :)

MudRunnerTD
15th July 2014, 02:10 PM
Very very cool!! Bring on the 39" boggers!! I wanna see pics on 39s

rafa
15th July 2014, 03:14 PM
Very very cool!! Bring on the 39" boggers!! I wanna see pics on 39s

They will be in only for wet season. Going on in Oct. 39x12 times 7 = $$$

threedogs
15th July 2014, 03:21 PM
They will be in only for wet season. Going on in Oct. 39x12 times 7 = $$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.75 cents give or take a dollar