PDA

View Full Version : Grenade finally blew

Teamdjbilo
12th May 2014, 11:17 AM
Unfortunate i do not got on here as often as I like and most of the time I am lurking.

Anyway the grenade finally blew on my 02 patrol 305k on the clock. Really does suck!.. Was expecting it
As I not fully mechanical minded it had to go the shop which I have given them he go a head to pull he engine out! And officially tell me.
I only replaced the turbo less than 12 months ago so it has taken a really big hit to me with hope in patrols let alone cars in general! Especially when both times it broke down I wasn't driving!..
I do know that if I fix it which is looking at around $7000 to fix that I can then and shouldn't have a problem selling it off for $19,000 especially since even the mechanic said it is a shame because the rest of the car is on really good nick(except the paint)
I just don't know what I am meant to do as it seems I am always spending money on cars!. Do I rebuild then keep it or maybe I should sell it and just use my push bike (seems more reliable), but then I have the problem with how to tow my camper trailer around!..

Any help with how I can would be greatly appreciated

I am just south of tweed heads New South Wales.
Simon

rusty_nail
12th May 2014, 11:20 AM
mate, no matter what way you go, you will be loosing money on it. did you have NADS done on it? if your considering keeping it, look at how much it will cost to put in a TD42, and the difference between fixing it or replacing the engine MAY not be too far apart.

Teamdjbilo
12th May 2014, 11:35 AM
Yeah had the nads kit in it!

And the td42 would cost round $9000 from memory and as I am short for cash that might be out of the option!.

And all cars you lose money on but for some reason this seems to be the worst I with the number of cars I have owned!..

Thanks for the reply tho

rusty_nail
12th May 2014, 11:38 AM

And the td42 would cost round $9000 from memory and as I am short for cash that might be out of the option!.

And all cars you lose money on but for some reason this seems to be the worst I with the number of cars I have owned!..

Thanks for the reply tho

can you afford to take it off the road and do it on your own time? another member on here is currently doing an engine swap from a wrecked car he bought. hes taken the car offroad for 12 months to do the whole process himself... that would save you a bit of coin if you have to time to keep the car off the road for abit

mudski
12th May 2014, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear about this bud, always a bummer when crap like this will happen.
A few ways at looking at it mate. If the engine was good firstly. Did you want to keep the car? And with the engine now how it is. Do you want to keep the car? If no to either, sell it as is I reckon and cut your losses. Or fix as cheap as possible and then sell it. If you want to keep the car I would seriously consider looking at the TD42t conversion. It could probably be done for around the 10k mark and the motor will still be running in even with 300thou on the clock. Or look at a second hand 3ltr motor, same again though. Are you just buying a grenade that just hasn't gone off yet? More coin to lay out but if you want to keep the car, thats what I would do... I have spent I reckon close to purchase price on my car since owning it. I have NO intentions of ever selling it so what I spend doesn't matter. Just a way of looking at it I suppose.

Cheers.
Mark.

mudski
12th May 2014, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the reply tho
Any 4wd is just a money pit mate. Doesn't matter what brand it is.

threedogs
12th May 2014, 01:01 PM
a shame to hear it went bang,,, surely a fresh motor with Nads would be fine
Touch wood but I have just over 200,000 and never laid a spanner on it other than
services and changing an alternater

Rickie3
12th May 2014, 10:36 PM
Sad to here about your engine Team not a good thing at all. I still think just NADS is not enough, I did the glow plug mod on mine also, and i'm glad I did, when I removed the glow plugs one had just lost a small piece off the tip, my glow up is now 30 seconds apposed to the original 5 minutes, and she starts perfectly on a cold morning

kevin07
13th May 2014, 10:03 AM
for 7g theres a td42t waiting for you to install and by doing this you should get back about $2 for every $1 you spend on this conversion

Teamdjbilo
13th May 2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys for the replys

Everyone I talked to has said the same and said buy the td42 said spend the extra money!.. I suppose the question I have is as I have a turbo which I replaced in August September on the zd30 so could I use it with the td42 and also I have. Tig welded intercooler or should I sell them off or use them on the td42 if they compatible?

happygu
13th May 2014, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys for the replys

Everyone I talked to has said the same and said buy the td42 said spend the extra money!.. I suppose the question I have is as I have a turbo which I replaced in August September on the zd30 so could I use it with the td42 and also I have. Tig welded intercooler or should I sell them off or use them on the td42 if they compatible?

Turbo is different, and will be too small for the 4.2.

Intercooler is similar, but mounts are different between the 4.2 and 3 Litre Di, as the intercooler mounts on the motor of a 3 L Di, and on a sub frame for the 4.2

Mic

macca86
14th May 2014, 07:30 PM
Sell your turbo iñtercooler injectors exhaust etc to help bridge the gap just on the cooler and turbo you should get 500/1000

Hodge
14th May 2014, 07:56 PM
Go for a TD42t mate, if the rest of the car is in good nick. My old neighbours patrol grenaded, and he opted for a cheaper option, and replaced the zd30 like for like, cost him something like 5-6k from memory. He was half way up to sydney 4 months later and the engine took off again. His back then quote for a fully rebuilt and fitted td42t was 10k.
Point being, he could have saved some serious $ and a whole lot more inconvenience and pain had he have taken that route. You just never know with the 3L. I hope my one lasts me for a while longer, but I'm well aware that even with the NADS these motors are volatile, but if and when it does, TD42t all the way.

Teamdjbilo
14th May 2014, 10:38 PM
I have a lot to think about

The mechanic at work and a few others have been talking to me too and have said throw another zd30 second hand in and sell it!..
But they also said get a td42 and put it in!..

Mechanic at work told to try look zd30 long motor for the head the block and the timing gear as everything else I have then sell it off and try get something newer like his which I think is a 2011 or something?

Unfortunately the mechanic at work lives 5 hrs from me otherwise he would of done the job for $500 for the labour part mmm sucks big time

macca86
15th May 2014, 08:17 PM
If he can do it fir that price plus parts I'd be getting a car transporter to his place right now

BigRAWesty
15th May 2014, 08:36 PM
If he can do it fir that price plus parts I'd be getting a car transporter to his place right now

X2. Contact a local engineer in his neighbourhood while on the drive, and get it done

Teamdjbilo
20th May 2014, 08:38 PM
So the mechanic come back with 3 quotes for me

2nd hand 6700 from south side wreckers in brissy

6500 for brand new engine but then I would need to send my injectors water pump and timing belt away to get it tested for the warranty

Or $10700 for brand new zd30 engine with injectors water pump timing gear with this comes warranty

I can find cheaper 2nd hand ones but the problem is what people say the motor is eg km wise and what is really on it all comes down to it mmm.

Then labour and freight on top

He is was calling Nissan today he said and when I go see him tomorrow he was going to give me a price from Nissan

I am still looking at the td42 conversion but in saying that I then have the same problem with 2nd hand