PDA

View Full Version : installing spot lights?

DilboBaggins
12th May 2014, 09:54 AM
G'day guys, im currently visiting my brother here in melbourne and we should be leaving next week some time to drive back to perth. Now, before we leave, I need to put some spotties on and a new head unit in. With the spotties, can I just find which wire is live when high beam is on then tap into that wire and run the spotties off that? Or does is have to be done through the switch with a relay and fuses ect? Can anyone please explain to me on how to do this? Cheers

Family4x4
12th May 2014, 12:18 PM
Legally it needs to be done through a switch and relay.

threedogs
12th May 2014, 12:55 PM
Most quality Driving lights will come with their own loom and relay, very easy DIY

DilboBaggins
12th May 2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks mate, does it have to be a specific relay? And how would I get to the switch? Thanks again

Family4x4
12th May 2014, 02:03 PM
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/driving-light-harness

The first one (74402) on the link above.

Otherwise you can buy the components in the wring diagram separately and make your own harness.

the evil twin
12th May 2014, 02:42 PM
G'day guys, im currently visiting my brother here in melbourne and we should be leaving next week some time to drive back to perth. Now, before we leave, I need to put some spotties on and a new head unit in. With the spotties, can I just find which wire is live when high beam is on then tap into that wire and run the spotties off that? Or does is have to be done through the switch with a relay and fuses ect? Can anyone please explain to me on how to do this? Cheers

Head Unit... use the search on here to find the latest posts and they will detail the adapters etc you will need to make the new Head Unit plug and play

Spotties... buy decent ones and they will usually have the loom already in the box. If not you can buy looms at Supercrap etc.
In either case you will need to pick up the high beam power for teh relay switching and by far the easiest spot is the drivers side headlight plug.
There will be an earth connection usually one of the nuts near the headlight is easiest
Power is self explanatory and the loom should have a fuse so connect it to the battery is OK
All that can be done and mounted near the washer bottle

That leaves the switch which is just two wires thru the firewall (or one if you know what your doing and switch earth)

Whatever you do...don't power the spotties direct off the high beam power IE make sure you use a relay or you are ony asking for problems