PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

LyleO
10th May 2014, 10:03 AM
Hi Folks,

I have a 2008 manual CRD Patrol and I've recently had a 2.75" BD exhaust and DP chip installed. Big improvement, happy camper ... until I loaded up the Patrol, hooked the boat up and headed off to Darwin (from SE QLD). Not all that long into the trip I noticed the engine had developed an issue where it felt like it was not feeding fuel consistently and if I could liken it to anything it would be like travelling down hill in cruise control and the engine keeps backing off to maintain the set speed. The problem has got progressively worse and I'm now limping along at about 98-99 kph. I'm not game to attempt to pass a road train of even a caravan at the moment as the Patrol just dies as I try to accelerate. The strange thing is that the problem is intermittent and when not happening the vehicle goes like a rocket, although I suppose that's relative when talking about Patrols! I rang the installer and explained the problem and he was confident that the chip would not be the problem but it might be the MAF sensor. I'm not a mechanic nor do I know much about mechanics so I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the forum for an answer. Has anyone had a similar issue and maybe a fix?

Cheers Lyle

BigRAWesty
10th May 2014, 10:56 AM
Have you got nads fitted?
And code reading device like a scangauge?

threedogs
10th May 2014, 11:24 AM
Any idea what your max boost is.
the new exhaust may be throwing up an error.
you need a Scan guage or similar.
What is the chip set on??

LyleO
10th May 2014, 01:37 PM
No nads or scan guage fitted as yet. Is it worth doing a spray clean on the MAF to maybe eliminate that as a cause? I'm not getting any error messages or lights on the dash. The DP chip is set on 5.

Cheers Lyle

Clunk
10th May 2014, 01:42 PM
it certainly wont hurt to try it mate

mudski
10th May 2014, 06:56 PM
Try to replicate the issue again, once it happens let off the accelerator and then back on again. See if it goes away. If it does it maybe hitting limp mode. Which is an over boost protection device. The way to overcome this issue is to install a Dawes and needle valve. Your best off blocking the EGR too while your at it.
The Dawes will limit your boost level so you will never see limp mode again and the needle valve lets you control the spool up rate of the turbo, not letting the ECU do it. Then you can tune the engine to what you like, not what the ECU thinks.
You need a scan gauge or a boost gauge fitted up first though to set the dawes valve up.
Give the MAF a clean, its not going to hurt to do it. Well, you should clean it every service anyhow just to be sure...

Cheers.
Mark.

macca86
10th May 2014, 07:04 PM
To me it actually sounds like an egr problem as they are prone to cracking on the common rails. If the egr pipe isn't working right it throws everything off especially at highway speeds as that's when the egr happens

LyleO
12th May 2014, 02:59 PM
OK what's going on? I've tried to remove the MAF sensor with a T20 bit but it appears that there is a pin in the screw slot/hole which would require the T20 bit to be hollow or at least have a corresponding pin hole in it. Is there a 'special' bit available from Nissan or can I get one at any auto parts shop?

Robo
12th May 2014, 04:26 PM
OK what's going on? I've tried to remove the MAF sensor with a T20 bit but it appears that there is a pin in the screw slot/hole which would require the T20 bit to be hollow or at least have a corresponding pin hole in it. Is there a 'special' bit available from Nissan or can I get one at any auto parts shop?

try jaycar they sell a bute driver bit set 100pce kit .
you know the bits, type that suit a hex drill driver.
comes with adaptors so you can also use a 1/4 ratchet on em.
this particular kit comes in a red case about the size of a dvd cover.
have seen em elsewhere.
jaycar $19.95.
cat no , td2038

LyleO
9th June 2014, 02:39 PM
An update on my issue for those interested. After limping (mode) my way to Darwin I finally got around to getting my Patrol into a local diesel injection service to hook it up to their diagnostic machine. No fault codes of anything else so decided to remove the DP chip and guess what ... no more limp mode! An interesting observation was that, on removing the chip, we found that the protective casing on one of the harness arms was burned through where it fits into the plug. Was it overboost or an issue with the burn site? Berrima Diesel have agreed to test the chip and fit a new harness. Who pays for that is yet to be determined but for my money it has to be an install problem so we'll see if they (an outlet in QLD) come to the party on that one. More to follow.
Cheers Lyle

LyleO
8th July 2014, 12:07 PM
Update to my last update. Berrima Diesel tested and retuned the chip and then fitted a new harness at no cost to me ( a big thankyou to them) so now I'll have to have it re installed and we'll see what happens. Anyone know someone reliable, in Darwin, for DP chip installs?
Cheers Lyle

jack
8th July 2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the update Lyle, always good to get these. Sorry can't help with a contact but someone will be along that does.