PDA

View Full Version : Uhf radio recommendations?

Wizard52
8th May 2014, 05:00 PM
Hi all

Looking for recommendations for brand and in need models to put in dash under existing CD/radio of the Ute.

GME are advertising their TX3500S with a bonus 6.6 dbi antenna this month although I doubt it fits in dash. They have another model TX4500 (I think) which looks like if fits perfectly.

Being Aussie made earns GME a couple of bonus points but I'm prepared to be guided by more knowledgeable people on this forum.

Also are the fitting instructions simple to follow?

cheers

mudski
8th May 2014, 05:11 PM
Hi all

Looking for recommendations for brand and in need models to put in dash under existing CD/radio of the Ute.

GME are advertising their TX3500S with a bonus 6.6 dbi antenna this month although I doubt it fits in dash. They have another model TX4500 (I think) which looks like if fits perfectly.

Being Aussie made earns GME a couple of bonus points but I'm prepared to be guided by more knowledgeable people on this forum.

Also are the fitting instructions simple to follow?

cheers
What do you need instructions for? Theres two wires, +ive and -ive to power the unit. I have mine hooked up to direct power with an inline fuse so it can be used without the ignition on. As for Brand GME and Uniden are both good brands. I have the GME TX3345 and love it. I have the unit hidden under the centre console and use an external mic. The hand piece plugs into the dash mount RJ45 socket I made up. So when its not in use I remove it and it not there for wonderers to see.
http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-communications/uhf-477mhz-cb-radios/TX3345

threedogs
8th May 2014, 05:53 PM
X 2 with wiring it live to Aux battery any of the remote
head UHF would suit your needs the main part is fitted under the dash.
Not convinced 80 channels are needed though.

megatexture
8th May 2014, 06:27 PM
I'm sure I have a tx 3500 and I put mine in the sunglasses holder as that's just a waste of space and the mic/ cord is mounted on the dash pics can be found in this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?24711-that-useless-centre-panel-with-flip-up-cover&highlight=Sunglasses+holder

TimE
8th May 2014, 06:57 PM
I've used GME and Uniden, prefer GME (Holden/Ford Nissan/Toyota sort of thing). Bought all my radios from Prestige Communications in Perth, great service and prices (delivered to Canberra in 2 days from order), look here (http://www.prestigecom.net.au/GME-UHF-CB-Packages)for their GME bundles

the evil twin
8th May 2014, 08:35 PM
Think of something else to put in the single Din dash space and buy a remote set up with controls on the Mic and the Transciever shoved behind the dash somewhere.

In the great Uniden V GME debate I give GME the vote for quality and Uniden the vote for price but in actual fact the brand of the gear matters little in performance.

CB performance is 75% Antenna, 20% installation and 5% what brand Transciever and most transciever perfomance differences will only be picked up in the lab. I've seen people with the most busted arse antenna duct taped to the bull bar at 45 degrees blame their top of the wozza "Uniden/Icom/GME" as being a POS because they can't get more than 1/2 a K range.

Bottom line is buy whatever brand gives you bang for buck/best fit/matches your dash lighting or best deal at the time or whatever and hook it up to a quality Antenna.
It will work as good as most and better than some and you will be happy.

lucus30
9th May 2014, 07:30 AM
Think of something else to put in the single Din dash space and buy a remote set up with controls on the Mic and the Transciever shoved behind the dash somewhere.

In the great Uniden V GME debate I give GME the vote for quality and Uniden the vote for price but in actual fact the brand of the gear matters little in performance.

CB performance is 75% Antenna, 20% installation and 5% what brand Transciever and most transciever perfomance differences will only be picked up in the lab. I've seen people with the most busted arse antenna duct taped to the bull bar at 45 degrees blame their top of the wozza "Uniden/Icom/GME" as being a POS because they can't get more than 1/2 a K range.

Bottom line is buy whatever brand gives you bang for buck/best fit/matches your dash lighting or best deal at the time or whatever and hook it up to a quality Antenna.

X 2 with this. Use your single DIN for other stuff. In mine at the moment I just have a pocket in it but when I eventually get round to it I'll have Carling switches in there for lights and stuff

Wizard52
11th May 2014, 09:51 AM

Thanks ET. Sounds good advice to me. Will probably go GME if price is right so what type and brand of antenna do you suggest for general open country travel. I have a couple of trips planned to the Cape and NW West Aust this and next year and then mainly local over on Fraser and central Qld coastal arrears. Doubt if I will be going to the High country

threedogs
11th May 2014, 10:25 AM
A good quality 6DB antenna for large open spaces,connect that to a 5 watt UHF,, forgotten the name of the white antenna's I think they are GME.
I use long for the HWY and short for mountain areas

the evil twin
11th May 2014, 02:20 PM
I don't recommend the big Co-linear fibreglass radome broom sticks unless you are after every metre of range you can get.
Don't get me wrong I have two of them (a 6 and a 9) but IMHO they are ugly and create a suprising amount of drag.
The 9 has so much drag it is almost useless on the highway as it leans back from the drag and transmits over the top of anything in front of you.

Easily the best vehicle antennas for value, versatility, aesthetics and with performance only just shy of the big co-linears are the elevated feed whips like the "Explorist pack" from RFI.
They are much cheaper and you can swap radiating elements in seconds (or buy new ones if you somehow stuff one)

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/RFI-CD923-Chrome-6-5dbi-3dbi-UHF-CB-Antenna-Pack