PDA

View Full Version : Reverse light install

Chefpatrol
7th May 2014, 06:07 PM
Hi guys,
I need help I have a round Lumen trailer plug at the back of my Patrol and I want to tap into the wires to run a 6" LED light bar for reversing at night. It's a 7 pin plug.i can't tap into my regular reverse light wires because I have storage draws and fridge slide in the back and to get to the reverse light wire would mean pulling out all my draws.

TimE
7th May 2014, 06:15 PM
Check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailer_Connector/Australia#Round_7-pin_trailer_connector_Type_1_.28AS_2513.29) for the Aus standard

sooty_10
7th May 2014, 06:17 PM
google images is your friend...... pin 2 black?

Alternatively put multi meter across the points and then get someone to put it in reverse for you and see which one gets voltage.

threedogs
7th May 2014, 06:18 PM
You should be able to access the wires from underneath.

Chefpatrol
7th May 2014, 07:31 PM
No.. I have tried can not access from underneath

Chefpatrol
7th May 2014, 07:33 PM
I tried that but the funny thing was I'm getting voltage from all connections at all times if it's in reverse or not. I haven't ever had a trailer hooked up so I don't know what's going on.

gaddy
7th May 2014, 07:54 PM
Black is reverse / aux pin 2 , I reckon chances are its not hooked up to reverse , that plug is not looking to flash , does it work 44253

mudski
9th May 2014, 11:20 PM
I tried that but the funny thing was I'm getting voltage from all connections at all times if it's in reverse or not. I haven't ever had a trailer hooked up so I don't know what's going on.

You haven't use the DMM properly I would say. Get a test light for this type of testing. Turn ignition on, chuck it in reverse, attach the earth clip to the body of the car, unpainted section and test the black wire connector. If it works the re attach the earth clip to the white wire (earth wire) of the trailer plug and try again. Why? Just to make sure the earth wire is connected.
DMM's are great but a test light is small and shoit easy to use.

Yendor
9th May 2014, 11:29 PM
Looking at the size of the red and black wires in pins 2 and 5 I would say that trailer plug is wired for electric brakes and or possibly a 12 volt feed to the trailer.