PDA

View Full Version : Twin alternator

elmo4eva
6th May 2014, 08:06 PM
Hey all is it easy to do twin alternator installation

MudRunnerTD
6th May 2014, 08:18 PM
Do you just want to run a second 12v alternator or chasing 24v? What engine.

BigRAWesty
6th May 2014, 08:21 PM
Winnie has just removed his second alternator and is running a single high output (110 or 120A from memory) and has saved roughly 3-4l/100k

Winnie
6th May 2014, 08:30 PM
Winnie has just removed his second alternator and is running a single high output (110 or 120A from memory) and has saved roughly 3-4l/100k

Yes I am running a 120A alternator now and removing the second alternator has saved me about 2L/100km
What is your purpose for dual alternators? If it's just to have two 12V alternators then it's not a good idea, a lot of work to do it for very minimal gain.
If you want 24V then that's completely different and totally cool.

elmo4eva
6th May 2014, 09:09 PM
I just want a second alternator run appliances like oven fridge microwave etc stuff like that cause each dual battery setup ive had they hav stuffed up cause I alway run a loud sound system cause im partially deaf

Winnie
6th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Get a higher output alternator instead and other than that, the battery can only accept so much charge.

elmo4eva
6th May 2014, 09:16 PM
How much roughy do they cost

Winnie
6th May 2014, 09:25 PM
100A unit for the TB42 from Patrolapart, $295
http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/starter-motors-alternators/nissan-patrol-gq-petrol-alternator/

AB
6th May 2014, 09:29 PM
I just want a second alternator run appliances like oven fridge microwave etc stuff like that cause each dual battery setup ive had they hav stuffed up cause I alway run a loud sound system cause im partially deaf

If your in Melbourne the blokes at Piranha off road have an output compensator that can increase charge rate by 0.5 volts as well.

Another option anyway...

http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/news/index/article/27

elmo4eva
6th May 2014, 09:33 PM
Im in a small country town

Winnie
6th May 2014, 09:34 PM
If your in Melbourne the blokes at Piranha off road have an output compensator that can increase charge rate by 0.5 volts as well.

Another option anyway...

http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/news/index/article/27

I read on this forum once that they are not a good idea? I can't remember why but the person said they are great for newer model Toyotas because their alternator output is so low but no good for our Patrols.

elmo4eva
6th May 2014, 09:37 PM
I wish theee could be a place here that could do it

AB
6th May 2014, 09:44 PM
I read on this forum once that they are not a good idea? I can't remember why but the person said they are great for newer model Toyotas because their alternator output is so low but no good for our Patrols.

I was told our gq's are crap at low rpm's...lol

Hence the increase at lower rpm needed.

the evil twin
6th May 2014, 10:18 PM

More and more vehicles are now running their Alternator Output thru the ECU. This allows them to lower the voltage which means less load and saves fuel and reduces emissions

I wish theee could be a place here that could do it

There are any amount of them on Ebay, most are simply a diode in the Alternator sense fuse

I was told our gq's are crap at low rpm's...lol

Hence the increase at lower rpm needed.

No alternator puts out anything like max power at low engine RPM's so it's not just GQ's and the only effective way to fix it is to increase the pulley ratio so the Alternator spins faster.

The devices on Ebay et al for the "lower voltage" issues with new vehicles won't help. They don't increase the Alternator output per se just the voltage so they are more suitable for AGM and Calciium hybrid batteries

Drewboyaus
6th May 2014, 10:31 PM
I alway run a loud sound system cause im partially deaf

Must remember not to camp next to you......LOL

I have decided to run a third big-arse AGM in an ArkPak battery box as another option. Just a few more things to do to wire it in the vehicle and with a Ctek DC-DC charger will give good solar capability at camp too.
TB's suck for the piss-ant space they allow for the second battery under the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner