PDA

View Full Version : Ti Tweeter crossover preinstalled

daanish
6th May 2014, 06:21 PM
G'day guys,
Planning on replacing the splits that are in the front doors of the '99 Ti wagon.
The splits that I've bought come with a passive crossover so I wanted to know if I could just run the cables that are currently connected to the factory woofer in the door into it the crossover and then run the new woofer and tweeter from that or has the cable that comes out in the door already come out of a crossover somewhere else.

I've checked a lot of other threads on front split installs but they all seem to be for models that never had splits to begin with so there's no other option but to run the door cables into your crossover, but since the Ti comes with tweeters from the factory I'm not sure if Nissan have already run them through a crossover or if they've just run the full range of frequencies to the tweeter and speaker. Given the consensus of generally poor quality audio equipment from factory I'm betting that Nissan didn't spend the money on a crossover but if anyone knows the answer or could suggest a way for me to test that'd be much appreciated.

If it helps, I've also got an aftermarket headunit installed but I haven't had a look at the wiring in the back of it yet as it came that way when I got car.

Cheers

Alitis007
6th May 2014, 07:57 PM
In my Ti i installed a set of Alpine type R 6.5" splits which i ran the factory wires from the head unit to the woofer then from the woofer thru the rubber grommet to the cross over and new wires to the tweeters. Thats how these Type R's are meant to be wired and they sound great so i'm happy. What speakers are you planning on running and how are they supposed to be wired up ?? On my other car i ran and amp which i needed to run new speaker wire to the cross over then new wires to the woofer and tweeter.

daanish
7th May 2014, 12:57 AM
I'm installing a pair of JBL 6" splits which need to have the factory wires run into the crossover and then new wires out to the woofer and the tweeter as two separate cable runs. I know how to wire them up, I just wanted to check if the factory wire coming out in the door had already been passed through a crossover before it come out in the door. I had a look at the back of the tweeter and there's what I think is a capacitor soldered in parallel across the terminals. I'm reasonably sure that's an indicator of no actual crossover as the cap acts in a similar nature as a frequency cutoff. Will have to have a closer look at the component soldered onto the tweeter tomorrow morning.

04OFF
7th May 2014, 08:04 AM
Remove a tweeter, connect a full range speaker to its wires, if the full range now sounds like a tweeter, you have a crossover or frequency limiting somewhere, if it works correctly as a full range speaker, then obviously you don't have a crossover on those wires ;)

daanish
7th May 2014, 08:40 AM
Ahh, the simple solution I completely overlooked.

Alitis007
7th May 2014, 10:30 AM
Remove a tweeter, connect a full range speaker to its wires, if the full range now sounds like a tweeter, you have a crossover or frequency limiting somewhere, if it works correctly as a full range speaker, then obviously you don't have a crossover on those wires ;)

Lol i didn't even bother trying that but nice trick mate, thanks for the info!

Flex
11th July 2014, 11:29 PM
The tweeters in the TI have a simple crossover in them, however you should always use the crossover that comes with your new splits as they are designed with the correct cross-over frequency for your tweeters.

menace 2
11th July 2014, 11:53 PM
whats a crossover ??

04OFF
12th July 2014, 06:18 AM
In Basic terms, a "crossover" is a electronic device/box that separates, or limits the frequencies of audio signal for use with a speaker/s.

The amount of times per second (frequent cycles) a speaker can move backwards and forwards, is called its frequency.

Frequency is generally measured in Hz (Hertz), the higher the number of Hz, the more "frequent" the speaker will move through its cycle (back and forth).

Big speakers (like subwoofers) generally like to only move SLOW (say around 20-200 Hz, or cycles per second), because they are BIG and bulky, stopping and changing direction is more difficult for them.

Tweeters of course are small, so they can move very fast (often over 20 thousand cycles per second)

As you can imagine, a music track may range in frequency from 20- 22,000Hz (very slow to very fast), a "single" speaker trying to move fast "and" slow, all at the same time, makes for a "mushed up" sound, so the simple answer is to use multiple speakers of different sizes, then we can have the all speakers moving at different speeds (or frequency's) so together they can make a cleaner overall sound, as they are not fighting themselves over speed like a single speaker does.

Obviously we only have "one" single music signal coming from our music source (e.g. a CD Player), and this contains "ALL" the frequencies together in a song, so to run different speaker sizes effectively ,we need to separate the frequencies from the song , and only feed the correct frequency to the correct size speaker.

So to do this, we use our electronic box (a crossover) to allocate each speaker with only a certain frequency range, if we are using 2 or 3 speakers (e.g. woofer and a tweeter) at some point, we need to split the signal/frequency's between the woofer and the tweeter (high and low frequencies), this dividing point, is where one speaker stops ,the other speaker takes over the signal/frequency range.

That Particular frequency when the signal crosses over from one speaker to another, is called the "crossover point", and is exactly why a crossover is called a "crossover".

Many crossovers sold packaged with speakers, have fixed frequencies to suit the speakers, but some crossovers you can adjust the crossover point manually, these are called "Active" crossovers, and are what most audiophiles like to use, as you can "tune" the system for better/individual sound.

There are other ways of separating speaker frequencies using capacitors as a simple "choke", this is a simple but effective way of choking out frequencies above or below a certain level, they are not really a true crossover, as they do not have a crossover point, more just a choke point.

There is a lot more I could go on about, but have attempted to keep it "understandable" , I hope it reads that way ?

Sorry if it does not :tongue:

menace 2
12th July 2014, 07:06 AM
cheers..thanks 4off..I didnt realize I had asked such a complex question lolololol

that helped me to understand a sh#t load..appreciated mate

04OFF
12th July 2014, 02:21 PM
Yeh sorry, it turned out a bit longer than I expected as well, I felt the need to explain why a crossover is called a crossover, so you could hopefully better understand what it is actually used for.

If you understood what I was saying, then it was all worth it ;)