PDA

View Full Version : Low power Where to start

ptcb
5th May 2014, 10:06 AM
G'day all, I need your help again!
I have a 2005 GUIV, 3.0 Patrol. Now I know they are not the most powerful thing out there but I like it!
But mine seems to be not running properly. From take off I have to rev it up a bit and ride the clutch a
little to get it going. Otherwise it just sits there. Other Patrols seem to take off more vigorously than mine.
Interestingly though, every now and then it just seems to take off! A little like perhaps it should. She has
as yet no mods. I have replaced the intercooler and checked the hoses and all seems ok. I do however
hear a turbo sound in the cab. I'm unsure where to look first before taking it to a mechanic who may not
be as quick to solve it as charge me. I have been wondering if it is the MAF Sensor!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Phil

threedogs
5th May 2014, 10:25 AM
The MAF will cause all manner of problems, whip down to SuperCheap and pick up a can of MAF cleaner.
spray the wire inside MAF do not touch with your finger, let it dry and re-install.
Also check all the small vacuum hoses, could be brittle and cracked

ptcb
6th May 2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks Threedogs, MAF is clean will check the hoses today

rusty_nail
6th May 2014, 09:29 AM
Hi Phil,

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for around 16 hours? that has helped a few people on here...

cheers

nic

ptcb
7th May 2014, 08:20 AM
I have tried for an hour or so, but not 16 hours. Will give it a go, thanks cobber.

Alitis007
7th May 2014, 01:52 PM
Has your fuel economy changed in the time you've owned your patrol?? How long has it been since you changed your air and fuel filters?? Do you have a boost gauge fitted ?? If you do where does the boost go to ??

If i was you i'd start by changing the filters and start looking at fitting NADS to it. The NADS not only helps prevent the earlier zd's from grenading but also help keep your motor running at its optimum by not allowing the intake to fill with carbon and oil and help you keep an eye on things.

That should give you a starting point, let us know the results after you change the filters.

The turbo noise inside the cab is normally a alternator wind coming thru the speakers and it should get higher in pitch as the engine rpm increases, thats easily fixed with a noise suppresser on the power cable on the radio or on the power cable on the alternator.

Hodge
7th May 2014, 06:50 PM
Hey ptcb.
What you describe, is exactly how my 2009 CRD behaves. The car has mood swings more than the missus. When I bought the car it was doing it a lot. I don't loose all power as I still have plenty of go, just need to up the revs a bit. But sometimes it goes 10x better, and it's now been a year since I've owned the the car and I haven' figured it out. This can happen when the car is cold, warm, up hill down hill, if I'm gunning it or if I'm just taking it easy... Just never know.
I've fitted a bigger exhaust which gave it more go, but still had mood swings. Then, I changed the intercooler, and fitted up the NADS, dawes valve and needle valve. This gave the car a new meaning. It was a completely different car, much more go and smoother spool up, much lower EGT's too...
Ive had all oils and filters changed and I dont know what to look at any more. Changed MAFs, cleaned existing ones.... However, it still has mood swings. I've just learnt to live with it and I've somewhat given up on it.

Just follow what Alitis said mate. Start with the most basic stuff and hope yours is something simple.

Bloodyaussie
7th May 2014, 07:02 PM
Good on ya Hodgey....... pfft to a certain someone !!!!! you know who you are...... in your box.

Alitis007
7th May 2014, 10:34 PM
What comes to my mind is these motors have a variable boost sensor which controls the boost and spool rate, by doing the NADS you can sort of eliminate that sensor by manually controlling the boost and spool rate. In most cases the engine light should come on if that boost sensor is failing.

I think i forgot to mention a Pyrometer should be close to the top of your list to aid you in monitoring you engine.

ptcb
8th May 2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks Fellas, some good advice there. I don't have NADS(well the car anyway:) ). Perhaps its time to get on to it. I'll get the filters changed first and then butter up the missus!!
Hodge, you are right she is a moody ól girl. When she is going well she's great until she starts playing up.
Altis, thanks for the advice on the turbo noise being the speakers. I'm three parts deaf so you could be very right so i'll do that fix aswell.

Just a question, how much do you think a nads setup should cost?
NADS it is