PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard gauges stop working when car gets hot??

Dboman
5th May 2014, 01:50 AM
I have a Patrol 2001 4.5 petrol here in Jordan. Since I've had it the dash gauges have packed up after about 3 hours of driving. Didn't know why. Now the weather here is F hot again I've realised it is the temperature that seems to cause it as when the car has been parked in the sun the dials don't start working until some air has passed through the engine and cooled it a touch.
Any ideas where I can look first as to a solution?
Thanks
D

kevin07
5th May 2014, 07:49 AM
you will have to check the earth wire on the cluster and sorry I don't know where it is.

Dboman
5th May 2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks Kevin, it's a start!

mudnut
5th May 2014, 08:26 PM
G'day, Dboman. Check that all of your wiring, especially your fuse and that the holder is okay. I 've had some that look good but go open circuit when hot.

hillclimber
6th May 2014, 07:27 AM
The heat may be causing expansion of weak components in the dash. The cluster is just a flimsy film with soldered joints on it. There are some labled as ground. it clean it all up and test the joints with a multimeter. Also as sujested run a extra ground to on of the screws in the back of the cluster. There are quite a few posts on this problem from all years of the patrol. Im busy pulling my 94 gq apart for simular reasons.