PDA

View Full Version : Tb42e power and response up grades

healy
4th May 2014, 11:16 PM
So im not the most mechanical minded person around .
So Ive done a snorkel im assuming that will help abit compared to a restricted airflow setup in the guard.
Im after cheap mods to get up and going abit quicker knowing im probably around the high 2s in weight.
First one is what bigger throttle body can I get on??
Im planning an exhaust upgrade eventually not sure if Im gonna turbo, supercharge or just add some little things to it so im leaving exhaust for awhile its already got 2 1/2.
So im after tips and opinions on leads spark plugs throttlebody etc

nissannewby
4th May 2014, 11:20 PM
Do you have a budget?

healy
4th May 2014, 11:36 PM
Do you have a budget?

Yeah mate its a long time project so im not in a hurry im just trying to knock of a few cheap things first.thsts why I was thinking leads spark plugs throttlebody etc first. Im more trying to get response first with a few kw. Im not trying to build a monster lol im more looking at max of 300kw one day but im running an auto and I really want to lose the lag I guess you can call it.

Robo
5th May 2014, 05:06 AM
As a slow build, long time project "so im not in a hurry" as you say, this kinda make it hard to advise on which way to go as doing things 2 or 3 times happens to happen when ya build over time and a 300kw plan in mind, this won't go with that etc.

premiun $$ plugs.
new leads, dizzy cap and rotor.
extractors, but need to be changed for turbo (what I was getting at cost wise x2).
injectors serviced.
new radiator and hoses.
adjust valves.
auto trans, valve body upgrade and install cooler.
a turbo will want a oil return to sump so if sump come off for any reason then that's the time to have oil return fitted.
choose a turbo in advance and oil return size pipe to suit welded into sump.
insulate, screen, exhaust from inlet and hoses etc.
things get hazy try to plan long term.
lots ya can do, but will redo or change over a long time frame.
and it will cost lots and lots more.
cheers

billyj
5th May 2014, 06:34 PM
you really need to decide now if you want to go turbo or stay na, a turbo is a fairly easy way to more power/torque but if you really want to make 300kw expect to spend 10k doing it, im currently running 4psi of boost into my tb42e unintercooled for 100kw at the rears on 33"s, thats with a restrictive 2.5 inch exhaust. the setup currently owes me 6k, but thats with a bigger fuel pump and injectors to support 300kw. tuner reckons a 3" exhaust and intercooler and it should be some where around 180kw at the rears at about 10-12psi.

as for a bigger throttle its probly possible given the top half of the tb42e intake is the same as the top half of an rb25. that said when i ran na with a vac gauge
it didnt show the std throttle being a restriction.

a 2.5 inch exhaust is plenty big enough for a naturally aspirated engine paired with a good set of extractors you will get a decent gain but it still wont be a rocket pushing 2.5t+.

std plugs are fine or one range colder for lpg and any decent brand leads will work fine.

other things are maybe put some injector cleaner through it and maybe even get the fuel pressure checked ive had a couple of std pumps die slowly over the years and when they start to go you will feel a bit down on power but the engine still runs smoothly

healy
5th May 2014, 08:02 PM
I can get a garret gt42 off a mate as he has about 30 sitting in the garage I think he said its good for well over 800+hp for free. Thats whats got me thinking more about this stuff. He also has a fairly nice sized front mount intercooler off a WRX that I can have but I dont want to grab this stuff if I dont get it done. I know if I run a setup like this im gonna basically have to do a full rebuild and upgrades. Piping is an easy fix I can source that easily. The thing im worried about is the turbo to big for a standard engine setup?. What kind of manifold would I need? Obviously need exhaust not sure on size. My biggest issue is the standard ecu im assuming that would be the killer. What would be max boost on a standard block 9 maybe 11pound?? Im just trying to get the options in front of me as its all abit confusing lol

billyj
5th May 2014, 08:35 PM
i got told on a std engine about 12-13 is safe if you rebuild it to suit boost then you can go nuts, a gt42 does sound big realistically you want to be making boost nice and early for good low down torque and a tb42 isnt exactly a screamer 5k is about all they go to

Robo
6th May 2014, 04:25 AM
Have a talk to Bigrig about his build-up, power,acc used, cost etc .
your lucky enough to have a mate with parts he can spare or at least mates rates.
out of curiosity do you intend to keep vehicle for long, 300kw would proberly see a quick demise to your bank balance, and not just petrol costs, keeping clutches up to it, std gq cv's not strong enough.

Alitis007
6th May 2014, 08:36 AM
300kw is a fair bit of power to make from a tb42 without doing some pretty full on mods healy. If you haven't noticed the quicker patrols make high torque figures because of the rev range they get used in. Imo you'd be better off fitting taller gears to give you better acceleration or even drive around with smaller rd tyres and fit your muddys when you go off rd

healy
6th May 2014, 09:07 AM
300kw is a fair bit of power to make from a tb42 without doing some pretty full on mods healy. If you haven't noticed the quicker patrols make high torque figures because of the rev range they get used in. Imo you'd be better off fitting taller gears to give you better acceleration or even drive around with smaller rd tyres and fit your muddys when you go off rd

Sorry fellas 300 would be the absolute max it was more of I dont want more than that 200 to 250 would be ideal and im not talking at the wheels so im guessing around 190 at the wheels would be where it probably ends up I think from memory the tb42e is roughly 145 standard no doubt its lost around 10 over the years. By taller gears you talking diffs? Or gearbox? Or both? Im gonna change my 3.9s to 4.3s as ive still got the crown and pinions from my old rb30 I dont want to go bigger because I already have 4.3s ive set my car up so far on an unbelievable budget to get it where it is she is a very heavy girl at the moment George. Power isnt my main concern but as I understand you cant just add torque with no powergains. Thats why I am asking you blokes as I have no knowledge in this field. I really want response off the pedal and torque obviously in my mind power has to come with that. Am I right or wrong? Id much prefer a supercharger as thats gonna put the torque up more than a turbo I think but then again the turbo is cheap. im fn confusing myself now. Sorry if Im making no sense

healy
6th May 2014, 12:51 PM
Why wouldnt a 4.2 carb exhaust fit on a efi?? Or even a td42 set up obviously no dump.

Alitis007
6th May 2014, 02:55 PM
Sorry fellas 300 would be the absolute max it was more of I dont want more than that 200 to 250 would be ideal and im not talking at the wheels so im guessing around 190 at the wheels would be where it probably ends up I think from memory the tb42e is roughly 145 standard no doubt its lost around 10 over the years. By taller gears you talking diffs? Or gearbox? Or both? Im gonna change my 3.9s to 4.3s as ive still got the crown and pinions from my old rb30 I dont want to go bigger because I already have 4.3s ive set my car up so far on an unbelievable budget to get it where it is she is a very heavy girl at the moment George. Power isnt my main concern but as I understand you cant just add torque with no powergains. Thats why I am asking you blokes as I have no knowledge in this field. I really want response off the pedal and torque obviously in my mind power has to come with that. Am I right or wrong? Id much prefer a supercharger as thats gonna put the torque up more than a turbo I think but then again the turbo is cheap. im fn confusing myself now. Sorry if Im making no sense

Why wouldnt a 4.2 carb exhaust fit on a efi?? Or even a td42 set up obviously no dump.
efi extractors need a o2 sensor bung mate, they're only worth $5 so if you got a cheap set off a carby or td you could just drill and weld in the bung.

Yeah heals, i was talking diff gears mate. Mist people go turbo coz it's cheaper to setup even tho a charger would work better i haven't seen many, actually 1 td42 with all plasmaman gear on it. I was pretty sure the tb42 had 125kw at the flywheel so probably only around 80rwkw if your lucky lol. I can see that your doing what you can for sweet eff all mate but that gt42 is a massive turbo and wouldn't start spooling till 5k i rekon haha . Anyway mate your pretty limited with what you can do without spending a fair few $$$ but imo you should forget about power figures for now and focus on what the long term use of the truck is going to be to work out how your going to set it up. Think of torque as pulling power, the more torque you have it should accelerate faster and hp/kw is the by product of that at the peak of your rev range. Imo for now just fit the diff gears, that should make it quicker off the line and make it a bit more responsive for the time being. BUT remember everything is about sacrifice so tall diff gears will make you have less top speed, more power = more fuel consumption so work out what you want so you can find the happy medium.

healy
6th May 2014, 03:38 PM
efi extractors need a o2 sensor bung mate, they're only worth $5 so if you got a cheap set off a carby or td you could just drill and weld in the bung.

Yeah heals, i was talking diff gears mate. Mist people go turbo coz it's cheaper to setup even tho a charger would work better i haven't seen many, actually 1 td42 with all plasmaman gear on it. I was pretty sure the tb42 had 125kw at the flywheel so probably only around 80rwkw if your lucky lol. I can see that your doing what you can for sweet eff all mate but that gt42 is a massive turbo and wouldn't start spooling till 5k i rekon haha . Anyway mate your pretty limited with what you can do without spending a fair few $$$ but imo you should forget about power figures for now and focus on what the long term use of the truck is going to be to work out how your going to set it up. Think of torque as pulling power, the more torque you have it should accelerate faster and hp/kw is the by product of that at the peak of your rev range. Imo for now just fit the diff gears, that should make it quicker off the line and make it a bit more responsive for the time being. BUT remember everything is about sacrifice so tall diff gears will make you have less top speed, more power = more fuel consumption so work out what you want so you can find the happy medium.

Cheers thats what I was thinking about the exhaust. Thanks for the info aswell mate I appreciate it. Gears It is then. I thought that turbo sounded abit big. Hopefully parts will come past in time and I can collect and store over time.

billyj
6th May 2014, 05:48 PM
yep generally 70-80kw at the rears from a stocker.

if your running 3.9 gears even with 31's it will feel slow, very rough guide 33"s are best on 4.3 diffs and 35"s on 4.6 thats to keep the gearing at around std levels,

the exhaust is the same tb42, tb42e, tb45e, td42 only catch is you may have to add the bung for the o2 sensor but thats about a 10 min job

billyj
6th May 2014, 05:49 PM
and yes that means a td42 turbo kit will bolt up, just gotta fab a few pipes and oil lines

healy
6th May 2014, 06:34 PM
yep generally 70-80kw at the rears from a stocker.

if your running 3.9 gears even with 31's it will feel slow, very rough guide 33"s are best on 4.3 diffs and 35"s on 4.6 thats to keep the gearing at around std levels,

the exhaust is the same tb42, tb42e, tb45e, td42 only catch is you may have to add the bung for the o2 sensor but thats about a 10 min job

Yeah I know ratios on diffs etc lol I thought he ment geaebox as get it worked with a shift kit etc thanks

gooch
19th August 2014, 12:33 PM
If u turbo the efi do u need a piggy back ecu. Can I convert my carby tb42 to efi and turbo?

Chappy
19th August 2014, 01:02 PM
Anything over 3-4 psi you will need an aftermarket ECU. The stock ECU can't handle much at all. It will be a costly exercise to convert to EFI then turbo. Cost wise you'd be better off going straight gas research turbo. I was in the same boat as you, only mine was already EFI. It worked out cheaper to just buy a TD42t. I have a complete TB42e setup for gas sitting in my garage if you're interested.

gooch
19th August 2014, 08:07 PM
Wat you chasing for the gas setup?

Irish
19th August 2014, 10:32 PM
If you turbo you'll need to either go piggyback(wolf, megasquirt etc) or Nistune.

Nistune is good because it isn't very intrusive and is local.
Wolf are based out of Bayswater VIC, so you can get local support if need be.
Megasquirt is very customisable and you can build it yourself to your specs.

billyj
21st August 2014, 01:12 PM
you can use a nistune board on a stock ecu on plenty more than 4psi, just have to upgrade the maf once you hit about 150kw at the rears