PDA

View Full Version : Cheap repair for stripped window winder on GQ

kevingalloway
4th May 2014, 09:04 PM
hi, I have just completed a repair on the passenger window winder. It went down and wouldn't come back up. After removing the assembly, I disconnected the spring and then drilled out the rivets. Carefully removed the winder shaft assembly and dismantled it. I drilled through the alloy and through the axle with a 2mm drill. Hammered a 2mm roll pin in carefully as the alloy is brittle. Reassembled the winder shaft unit and refitted it with 2 of 6mm bolts and 2 steel rivets, rivets are used because of the limited clearance on winder assembly,refitted the spring. You have to wind the winder along the assembly to make it easier to refit the spring. See photos below. Use duct tape to hold window into the door frame while doing the repairs. I can't know how long the repair will last but I have done one other window about 2 years ago. I needed my bus to get to work tomorrow so it is all good to go. Any questions just ask. Cost 20c for a roll pin, the other bits I had in the shed.

mudnut
4th May 2014, 10:41 PM
That is an excellent bit of ingenuity. Thanks for taking the time to post up step by step pictures of the repair. It will be good to hear how long it lasts.