PDA

View Full Version : Auto or Manual for towing 2Tonne caravan - so confused

bindi
3rd May 2014, 10:07 PM
Hello all

I am seriously thinking about buying a 2012 gu8 for towing my 2T caravan, so i did the obvious thing and test both auto and manual ones at my local dealer. The auto seemed gutless, not even towing, going up a fairly steep hill, but the manual one seemed to go up the same hill comparatively effortlessly.

So, I was just about set on getting a manual, when on here and on caravan forums I have totally confused myself reading conflicting opinions on which way to go. Some saying the Patrol has 'tiptronic' which i didn't think it had. I am now also wondering whether the auto I tested was in the wrong setting (if there is such a thing).

To either ease my mind or confuse me even more I would really value the opinions of forum members on here who use their patrols to tow either caravans or horse floats/heavy boats etc in terms of whether manual or auto is best?? (i know the manual has increased towing capacity of 3.2T vs 2.5T but don't think that will be a problem to me either way).

What I will do is test drive another auto, even though the one I tested was new.

So..........Auto OR Manual for towing my 2T caravan??

Many thanks
Mark

gaddy
3rd May 2014, 10:16 PM
Is that 2T dry or loaded with water food clothes , full gas bottles spare tyres tools etc , easy to add an extra 500 Kg ,

bindi
3rd May 2014, 10:19 PM
Hi, great question, thats 2T with gas and water, but need to add more for food and tackle etc

gaddy
3rd May 2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah don't forget awning , poles , pegs crockery maybe a small genny , batteries etc , gets heavy quick when you add it all up , to be sure head to your local public weigh bridge , unhook it from the car to get a true weight

kevin07
3rd May 2014, 11:13 PM
either one for that tow bigger exhaust block the egr and you will crap your pants with the power increase

Clunk
4th May 2014, 12:03 AM
Thought it was only the tb48 auto that had the tiptronic?! Happy to be corrected though....... No problems towing with either of my GQ tb42 auto ot td42 manual........ Can't help with the GU 3ltr wheezers though ;-)

2TROLLFAM
4th May 2014, 12:12 AM
I'm adding to the confusion. My 2006 Navarra D40 was a 3ltr turbo diesel manual and didn't even know my camping trailer (fully loaded) was there.

My patrol is stock standard 3ltr auto (2008) and it hates my camping trailer, is fine on flat road but hit a hill and I was crawling by the time I got to the top ... Blew the turbo hose when towing a double horse float with a little pony in it (that could have just been coincidence) and was the same power wise as soon as I hit an incline it was gutless ...

Then again - on the beach at slower speeds and in 4WD it handled the trailer no problems. Got through the cuttings without a any issues whatsoever ??

Good luck with the decision - I still haven't decided if an auto was the right thing to do :)

jack
4th May 2014, 01:23 AM
Can't help regarding towing 2T but did tow my 1500kg van with a fully loaded Auto for 13,000kms last year.
Engine is stock and I had plenty of power. Did the Bloomfield track, Bulli Pass and a pretty long step climb up to Atherton table lands (can't remember the road but steep and long). Also did heaps of other steep hills and can't fault the auto, as a bonus it really comes into it's own in 4WD.
As I said only 1500kg but wouldn't imagine another 500kg would make that much difference. Try another test drive and raise your concerns with the dealer.

kevin07
4th May 2014, 05:11 AM
Thought it was only the tb48 auto that had the tiptronic?! Happy to be corrected though....... No problems towing with either of my GQ tb42 auto ot td42 manual........ Can't help with the GU 3ltr wheezers though ;-)

clunk what do mean by 3lt wheezers

Maxhead
4th May 2014, 08:33 AM
clunk what do mean by 3lt wheezers

I think he was talking about the size of he's you know what...LOL

Anyway, as said above if you are going to be close to the 2500kg mark fully loaded then I would definitely go with the manual. I would love my auto back for towing or 4x4, but as I tow 2.7T I had no choice but to go to the manual. You wouldn't want to be overweight and have an accident. Also the Patrol carry on weight is small as it is and reduces with more towball down weight.

If you ever upgrade your van and get something heavier, you will be legal with manual. Put a bigger exhaust on and off you go :)

Good luck

BigRAWesty
4th May 2014, 08:50 AM
Yea unfortunately wife and I have the same issue.

She wants a manual as the new one will be the daily driver.
But I'd prefer a manual as it has a much better towing capacity but also I feel more comfortable with the engine braking..

Is there an option for an older gu?
The ultimate rig for towing is the td42 turbo, but many quiver at the asking price for such an old car.
There was a steal the other day though, $16,000 in adelaide.. Bargain..

Anyway auto's do feel sluggish as the trans is slipping.. But as mentioned an exhaust and egr block and you'll have a noticeable power rise..

threedogs
4th May 2014, 09:10 AM
You say 2.5t max for the auto and your van will come in at 2.5t plus.
IMO you have the wrong vehicle for your campervan.
why would you want to subject your Patrol to its Maximum, it will only put extra strain on other components.
If this is your only option then the manual would be better, but not by much

growler2058
4th May 2014, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=Westy's Accessories;503078]
QUOTE]

Wasn't turbod Westy and was a transplant from a zd30 that imploded, hence cheap asking price

FNQGU
4th May 2014, 07:39 PM
Yea unfortunately wife and I have the same issue.

She wants a manual as the new one will be the daily driver.
But I'd prefer a manual as it has a much better towing capacity but also I feel more comfortable with the engine braking..

Is there an option for an older gu?
The ultimate rig for towing is the td42 turbo, but many quiver at the asking price for such an old car.

Anyway auto's do feel sluggish as the trans is slipping.. But as mentioned an exhaust and egr block and you'll have a noticeable power rise..

Sorry Westy - the ultimate for towing is not the TD42 turbo... LOL.

the evil twin
4th May 2014, 08:08 PM
ROFL... I know what you reckon is better Ben.

Anyway, technically, he engine is irrelevant, Auto boxes are "best" for towing... they have to be by virtue of how they work.

Yes they run hotter, yes they are usually spec'd for a lighter load but (properly set up mechanically or electronic) they utilise the available power better as they are a variable Torque output device IE a manual has 'X' Torque at 'Y' RPM at 'Z' speed but an Auto can produce optimum torque within a wider RPM band at 'Z' speed by virtue of the Torque Converter.
BUT...
that doesn't mean they are suitable for every application or individual.

BigRAWesty
4th May 2014, 09:29 PM
Sorry Westy - the ultimate for towing is not the TD42 turbo... LOL.

What factory engine would you choose??
Factory lol

ROFL... I know what you reckon is better Ben.

Anyway, technically, he engine is irrelevant, Auto boxes are "best" for towing... they have to be by virtue of how they work.

Yes they run hotter, yes they are usually spec'd for a lighter load but (properly set up mechanically or electronic) they utilise the available power better as they are a variable Torque output device IE a manual has 'X' Torque at 'Y' RPM at 'Z' speed but an Auto can produce optimum torque within a wider RPM band at 'Z' speed by virtue of the Torque Converter.
BUT...
that doesn't mean they are suitable for every application or individual.

I agree the auto knows what's best, but the lost power threw the auto is a downer.. And most auto's make the engine rev.. Sweet for petrols, but a diesel is just getting into peek power and the box is dropping a gear.

That's my experience anyway, lol. MANUALS RULE!!! ;-)

FNQGU
4th May 2014, 09:32 PM
just a different Factory mate... Two factories might be better than one.

BigRAWesty
4th May 2014, 09:54 PM

Lol.. Yea it's not the best motor around but you can't knock em for reliability..
I'm might drive a slug but it's a reliable slug which keeps us entertained and get us home each time

nissannewby
4th May 2014, 10:53 PM

Id still prefer any factory Nissan donk over that gm rubbish they call a 6.5 chev "diesel" lol :p . Took them 60 years to get it right in the duramax though. A duramax with an Allison would by far be the best for towing, nothing really comes close that goes into a patrol. 2.5t pfft duramax wouldn't even know it was there.

FNQGU
5th May 2014, 07:39 AM
I know you love em deep down.... stop denying it. LOL.

redbarron
10th March 2015, 05:21 PM
Hi all i have a 4.8 auto and tow a 31/2 ton off road van. no problems using auto, was told by rodney that with the heavy duty valve body & man lock up let the auto do its job
I have done 30000ks in the top end so far this year with no worries