PDA

View Full Version : Gu axles under gq whats involved ?

Buschmaster
3rd May 2014, 08:54 AM
I have been reading the following things have to be done for the conversion;

-adjustable draglink

-steering box/pitman arm

But as the gu axles are wider do you also have to modify the brackets for the four link-shoks-coilsprings for example ?

Can sombody who has done the conversion before explain how you done it ?

(could be a nice sticky but thats only a suggestion)

MudRunnerTD
3rd May 2014, 09:05 AM
Hi mate they bolt straight up.

So the tie rod end taper on a GQ and a GU is a different angle so anything with a tie rod end will need to have the tie rod end changed or the item changes.

You need a GU tie rod

You need an adjustable drag link with a GU Tierod end on one end and you won't need the GU steering box. Or grab the bigger GUbox for the win.

I is recommended to find a GU brake booster but my GQ booster is working fine.

Everything else bolts straight up.

Make sure you buy the smaller rear diff off the GU H233 as the centres are interchangeable with the GQ centres. The H260 is a larger rear diff and not recommended.

Have a look through the back half of my build thread in my sig line as I have done this conversion.

threedogs
3rd May 2014, 09:59 AM
might want to think about laminating the front diff while its out

Robo
10th August 2016, 03:56 PM
Hi mate they bolt straight up.

So the tie rod end taper on a GQ and a GU is a different angle so anything with a tie rod end will need to have the tie rod end changed or the item changes.

You need a GU tie rod

You need an adjustable drag link with a GU Tierod end on one end and you won't need the GU steering box. Or grab the bigger GUbox for the win.

I is recommended to find a GU brake booster but my GQ booster is working fine.

Everything else bolts straight up.

Make sure you buy the smaller rear diff off the GU H233 as the centres are interchangeable with the GQ centres. The H260 is a larger rear diff and not recommended.

Have a look through the back half of my build thread in my sig line as I have done this conversion.

You mention H260 not recommended.
Is that purely cost related or something else?

MudRunnerTD
10th August 2016, 10:04 PM
You mention H260 not recommended.
Is that purely cost related or something else?

no nothing really. It becomes an issue if you want to use your existing Airlocker and Centre, it won't bolt in. I also think you may have trouble with some Ratios into the H260 too. Not sure on that though. Tough Diff! if it has the right ratio for you and you have not bought an airlock yet then it will do just fine though.