PDA

View Full Version : Good place to get an exhaust for TB42?

Drewboyaus
2nd May 2014, 09:01 PM
Hi guys looking for a recommendation or three for an exhaust shop to do a full end to end exhaust system for my TB42e.
I'm in Melbourne north west but happy to travel to the right place. Good work at the right price is what I'm after.....might even do the install myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

AB
2nd May 2014, 09:07 PM
Shipping is pretty cheap Drew and install is a piece of pie if the manufacturer weld the hooks on in the exact spot.

I ended up getting mine of Scott's rods in nsw which was cheaper then local.

Try them and also try genie exhausts on here too. I actually had a chat to the owner today and they are very switched on with Patrols so get some prices and see what you think.

Winnie
2nd May 2014, 09:13 PM
Shipping is pretty cheap Drew and install is a piece of pie if the manufacturer weld the hooks on in the exact spot.

I ended up getting mine of Scott's rods in nsw which was cheaper then local.

Try them and also try genie exhausts on here too. I actually had a chat to the owner today and they are very switched on with Patrols so get some prices and see what you think.

Nobody does a kit for the TB42E. Plenty out there for the carby but the injected one is different. Unless someone has brought one out since I was looking.

AB
2nd May 2014, 09:26 PM
Nobody does a kit for the TB42E. Plenty out there for the carby but the injected one is different. Unless someone has brought one out since I was looking.

I thought I read Scott's were doing them last year. May be wrong though?

menace 2
2nd May 2014, 09:36 PM
I thought I read Scott's were doing them last year. May be wrong though?

no body was doing them last year when I tried AB...that's why I went to the bloke in Braeside....maybe they are doing them now ?
And if they did you had to be able to get the car to them ...but no kit form

Drewboyaus
2nd May 2014, 09:36 PM
Got mine from Braeside Drew..they sent it to Qld ..cant remember the postage but it was minimal...though you shouldn't need it...you would be able to pick it up yourself...supplied extractors to tail pipe ...all flanged together so I could just bolt it together...in 5 pieces ..with sports muffler and I also got a little small one near the rear..2.1/2 inch....all hooks in the right place...Right Price exhausts Braeside..Jamie...03 38089211...if you are interested....I th9nk it was about 1000.00 to 1100.00....cant remember if that included the postage to Qld...I went through them because I couldn't get beaudesert or redback to just make a system up all flanged without taking the car to them ...which I couldn't do....cheers

Thanks man.
How does it sound? Did you get much of a performance gain?
Too many if the ones I've seen need welding and it ain't got a welder. I like the sound of the mob you went to.
I might drop in and see them, they're sort of on my way to where my office is.....

Drewboyaus
2nd May 2014, 10:06 PM
Not too droney?

Bloodyaussie
2nd May 2014, 10:10 PM
Every place I have spoken to has been in favour of the 2 1/4 system and all have said the 2 1/2 is not suited unless running turbo...

I run 2 1/4 and it breaths very well...

See what prices you get ??? and let me know.. the secret to not running a hotdog at the end is to have a longer muffler.

My muffler is too short so I need that hotdog on the end and thats on 2 1/4 .......

Winnie
2nd May 2014, 10:10 PM
Drew on mine I had a 2.5 inch no cat with a sports muffler. It was droney, I would have liked to put a hot dog in it.

rusty_nail
2nd May 2014, 10:19 PM
Hey mate got my lwb exhaust done when I had one for about 400. Straight through 2.25"and hot dog muffler it sounded nice.

menace 2
2nd May 2014, 10:23 PM
yeh sorry Drew...mine could be 2 1/4...and forgot to mention ...it has a high flow cat after the extractors..really small one only about 4-5 inches long...cheers

Drewboyaus
2nd May 2014, 10:25 PM
Every place I have spoken to has been in favour of the 2 1/4 system and all have said the 2 1/2 is not suited unless running turbo... I run 2 1/4 and it breaths very well... See what prices you get ??? and let me know.. the secret to not running a hotdog at the end is to have a longer muffler. My muffler is too short so I need that hotdog on the end and thats on 2 1/4 .......

Yeah, George reckons 2 1/4 too and he knows his chit......
There are a lot of guys running 2 1/2 though too.....
I read one suggestion which was to have the outlet of the extractors at 2 1/4 into the Cat and then 2 1/2 out of the Cat......

Alitis007
2nd May 2014, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I read one suggestion which was to have the outlet of the extractors at 2 1/4 into the Cat and then 2 1/2 out of the Cat...... Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Normally people go bigger pre cat and smaller after because when the gasses pass thru the catalyst they actually get hotter. Also you'd be looking for a stainless steel core for the cat, i'd go for a 100cpi (Cell per square inch) over a 200 cpi unit coz if your motor starts to use oil it'll block it. What you need to remember is you want to increase the flow without loosing too much back pressure to help in low to mid range torque

Drewboyaus
2nd May 2014, 11:34 PM
Normally people go bigger pre cat and smaller after because when the gasses pass thru the catalyst they actually get hotter. Also you'd be looking for a stainless steel core for the cat, i'd go for a 100cpi (Cell per square inch) over a 200 cpi unit coz if your motor starts to use oil it'll block it. What you need to remember is you want to increase the flow without loosing too much back pressure to help in low to mid range torque

2 1/4 would be a bit cheaper too I assume.....

Pokey
3rd May 2014, 01:12 AM
AB when you got your exhaust from Scotts Rods did it take long?
Reason I ask. .......they were recommended to me as the absolute best exhaust on the market for what I need. I rang and talked through the requirements and ordered and paid on the day with a promised three week delivery time and they were to email me the tracking no after it was sent. Well that was just over 5 weeks ago. No email no exhaust....

AB
3rd May 2014, 07:41 AM
AB when you got your exhaust from Scotts Rods did it take long?
Reason I ask. .......they were recommended to me as the absolute best exhaust on the market for what I need. I rang and talked through the requirements and ordered and paid on the day with a promised three week delivery time and they were to email me the tracking no after it was sent. Well that was just over 5 weeks ago. No email no exhaust....

Yeah wow that's disappointing mate. To be honest I can't remember. I was collecting everything when I was putting the turbo on so after I got it, it still sat in the shed for a while.

Contact them on the forum and see what happens.

Winnie
3rd May 2014, 08:22 AM

When I got mine the exhaust guy said that it did not need a catalytic converter. I can't remember why something to do with gas?

Drewboyaus
3rd May 2014, 08:51 AM
When I got mine the exhaust guy said that it did not need a catalytic converter. I can't remember why something to do with gas?

EFI ones need to keep the cat to remain roadworthy.

Alitis007
3rd May 2014, 08:53 AM
Edit: it said post error earlier and i reposted more information :)

Parksy
3rd May 2014, 09:28 AM
There was a mob in Ringwood Vic that made and sold exhausts on eBay. I bought one last year for my tb42e and it was a simple bolt in job. Full kit, extractors, cat, mufflers, bolts, gaskets and everything else. Can't seem to find them anymore though.

Drewboyaus
3rd May 2014, 09:33 AM
There was a mob in Ringwood Vic that made and sold exhausts on eBay. I bought one last year for my tb42e and it was a simple bolt in job. Full kit, extractors, cat, mufflers, bolts, gaskets and everything else. Can't seem to find them anymore though.

Was that performance exhausts?
How does yours sound? Is it droney? Loud? Or is it quietist with a nice note ('cause that's the sort of thing I'm after)?

Parksy
3rd May 2014, 09:59 AM
It was droney at first at highway speeds because the muffler was just a straight through muffler, but I got this swapped out with a baffled muffler at our local exhaust shop. Now it is nicer. Though before, just driving around town and idling, it did sound tough!

As for the name I just can't remember it or find it on my eBay purchase history. The muffler was a Lukey brand if that helps.

Alitis007
3rd May 2014, 10:46 AM
2 1/4 would be a bit cheaper too I assume..... Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
The pipe is hardly worth anything, the money is in the mufflers. Cheaper mufflers have less packing material and are louder where more expensive mufflers have more packing material and are quieter for example a redback sports muffler is worth roughly $80 for 2.5" offset/offset 5"x9"x14" and the same size muffler made by magnaflow is worth $300, the sound difference is chalk and cheese mate!

The fine for removing a cat is upto $10,000, some extreme cases even jail time and some workshops have been even shut down if they are repeat offenders. Any car made after 1984 running on unleaded petrol needs to run a cat in aus, now even diesels have to run cats aka particulate filters to meet the current emission laws.

Alitis007
3rd May 2014, 10:48 AM
EFI ones need to keep the cat to remain roadworthy. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thats true, so they conform to the fuel and emission ADR's