PDA

View Full Version : Reversing Camera

Fuzzy250353
2nd May 2014, 07:50 AM
I have tried to install a second camera to my factory fitted GPS 2008 Patrol. I made the mistake of cutting the lead at the back of the
vehicle while the camera was on. I now have nothing on the camera circuit but the GPS still operates fine.

Can anyone give me some ideas on trouble shooting. I have the dash out of the car and can access the connections on the back of the unit.
I believe I may have put a short onto the video input as I still have a 12 volt feed to the camera.

MudRunnerTD
2nd May 2014, 08:30 AM
Do your reverse lights still work? The camera will take power from the reverse switch. Given that it is factory fitted though it might be a little different but I would check your fuses if you have not already?

Fuzzy250353
2nd May 2014, 11:47 AM
I have an electrical background. I have removed the unit and traced every wire back to its source. Being factory fitted I cannot find a schematic on the web. I am convinced I have damaged the unit internally by cutting the camera supply while the unit was operating. As I have the unit out I am going to send it away to an expert to check it out.
Thanks for the advice.

the evil twin
2nd May 2014, 12:00 PM
I have an electrical background. I have removed the unit and traced every wire back to its source. Being factory fitted I cannot find a schematic on the web. I am convinced I have damaged the unit internally by cutting the camera supply while the unit was operating. As I have the unit out I am going to send it away to an expert to check it out.
Thanks for the advice.

I agree with your first post.
When you cut the wire it is very likely that 12 volts shorted to the 1 volt P-P video signal.
Did you manage to rule out that it is the Camera video out is cactus as well or that maybe the display is OK and the it is only the Cam?

Nissan changed the "Factory" Nav systems around 2005 when the supplier went bust to VDO gear and again around 2008/9 so not sure if yours is a VDO Dayton or the later one.
If it is the Dayton then bits are getting hard to source but there is a few mobs still fixing or reconditioning them.
Nissan tried to get mine fixed about 18 months ago but ended up getting a reco one from somewhere over east in the end.