PDA

View Full Version : Oil for CRD

Dave_H
2nd May 2014, 06:43 AM
Hi All,

I'm doing a service on my Patrol this weekend and can't decide on what oil to use. I am leaning towards the Nulon Semi Synthetic High Torque Diesel Oil - 15W-40, 10 Litre for $70.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-Semi-Synthetic-High-Torque-Diesel-Oil-15W-40-10-Litre.aspx?pid=343509&menuFrom=60105#Cross

Has anybody used this oil or does anyone recommend not using it ?

Cheers in advance, Dave

kevin07
2nd May 2014, 07:24 AM
im not knocking this oil but I believe you should be using 10w-40 this is what is recommended in book I personally use penrite 10-40 semi synthetic and change it every 5000

Dave_H
2nd May 2014, 07:42 AM
Probably should of checked the book first hahaha. First service it's needed since I bought it. I was on the nulon website and that's what it recommended but if it's 10w 40 I might try castrol magnatec.

NT09ST
3rd May 2014, 12:45 PM
This is what ive been using in my CRD since ive had it withe no issues, changing it every 10,000km

and its on special atm

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-Hi-Tech-Fast-Flowing-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-10W-40-6-Litre.aspx?pid=164751&menuFrom=60104#Cross

Remdogg
29th June 2014, 09:07 AM
Ive used mobil and elf from the dealer but magnatec seems to make the engine run a little quieter and seems to stay cleaner longer. Dont know how. Maybe less blow by the piston.

Maxhead
29th June 2014, 09:15 AM
Hi All,

I'm doing a service on my Patrol this weekend and can't decide on what oil to use. I am leaning towards the Nulon Semi Synthetic High Torque Diesel Oil - 15W-40, 10 Litre for $70.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Nulon-Semi-Synthetic-High-Torque-Diesel-Oil-15W-40-10-Litre.aspx?pid=343509&menuFrom=60105#Cross

Has anybody used this oil or does anyone recommend not using it ?

Cheers in advance, Dave

This should do the trick mate. It meets all the standards required for the CRD 3l.

I use DELO 400 15-40 and the truck runs fine.

EDIT: just noticed the thread is form MAY,,,lol Better late then never :)

Dave_H
29th June 2014, 08:59 PM
Cheers mate. I ended up buying Nulon fully synthetic 10w 40 but went to do the oil change last weekend not knowing
I needed a 1/2" hex key to remove the sump plug so had to leave it, hopefully this weekend lol.

Patrol-Guy
29th June 2014, 09:21 PM
So dumb question time - when everyone says they change their oil every 5000kms, is it only the engine oil that is changed?

If so then how many litres does the 3ltr ZD30 take? Also is there a better oil filter to use or just a run of the mill one?

Hodge
29th June 2014, 09:29 PM
I get the engine oil changed every 5k. All others are as per their respective kms or time between changes.
The crd takes 8.3 L, i'm not sure if the Di is any different.

Also I'd use the genuine filter personally.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Forum Runner

happygu
29th June 2014, 10:40 PM
Hodge,

I have never done 5K oil changes ever .... in Europe they do 15K on the same oil / same motor, so I figure 10K is just fine

Mic

Dave_H
29th June 2014, 11:11 PM
Yeah i agree with Mic, i'll be doing mine every 10k as 5k seems very excessive to me for what i generally use it for (wifes shopping trolley:)

Hodge
30th June 2014, 08:21 AM
Hodge,

I have never done 5K oil changes ever .... in Europe they do 15K on the same oil / same motor, so I figure 10K is just fine

Mic

Yeh, definitely agree these can go a while between changes. Even though my oil is fairly clean, especially after the EGR got blocked. But I got into a habit of doing it as I don't do many Ks, so it's a long time between the 10k marks for me. That's why I just change engine oil and filter at around 5k, just to freshen it up a bit.

Patrol-Guy
22nd November 2014, 04:52 PM
Ok so thought it about time I done an oil change myself. Done it many years ago but that was petrol vehicle.

I bought the oil and filter today. The filter has me a tad baffled as its only a filter, not the actual metal container with the thread on it. So I'm guessing the case is part of the vehicle and you just unscrew that, pull out the old filter and replace then re screw the casing to the engine. Any care to confirm?

Dave_H
22nd November 2014, 04:56 PM
Yes that's correct. Unscrew the casing and replace filter cartridge then screw back on.

nipagu7
22nd November 2014, 06:42 PM
when you remove the old oil filter be aware that there is a black plastic fitting in one end of the filter , you need to fit this into the new filter . if you loose it you will be up for over 200 bucks as nissan only sells it with the metal housing and you can't get it any where else .

Dave_H
22nd November 2014, 07:14 PM
I've never priced the housing/cannister until now that you have mentioned it. That is quite expensive but then again nothing is cheap these days.