PDA

View Full Version : advise needed on this patrol

madmacca
9th February 2011, 06:22 PM
hey guys ,
my mate after seeing how im enjoying "getting out there" is looking at this

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-van-ute-1992-GQ-Nissan-Patrol-Turbo-Diesel-Excellent-work-horse-W0QQAdIdZ259222926

he has arranged for the guy to drop around here (mate is here for dinner) tonight for us to look at it

any thoughts or things i should look at for my mate ?

cheers Macca

Bob
9th February 2011, 06:29 PM
Hey Tony are you on Air
Red Book Price $7,100 for ave K's however this has not that many K's for the Year

YNOT
9th February 2011, 07:05 PM
Sorry fellas I was in the pool.

Not sure what the marks are in the sills under the front doors, something to look more closely at. Also looks a bit rusty under the bonnet near the bonnet hinges.
The Donaldson air filter is good but needs to be connected to a snorkel.
The turbo set up looks a bit shall we say primative. He says the turbo is perfectly matched to the engine it does not need a wastegate, I'm not comfortable with that idea and would rather see a wastegate fitted-that's just me,it may work fine as is. I find it very odd that he went to all the trouble of fitting the turbo system then didn't wind up the fuel.
Non genuine heater hoses fitted, looks untidy. Coolant lines to turbo need to be secured, I would prefer to see the T-pieces in the heater hoses relocated to near the back of the cylinder head for neatness. At the moment one of the turbo coolant hoses sits on the oil filler cap.
Does not appear to have a radiator overflow bottle fitted.
Very dark around the back of the rocker cover on turbo side (4th photo), thermostat housing has simiar marks?
PCV hose from back of rocker cover looks to be vented to atmosphere, needs to be plumbed back to inlet.
Exhaust temperature gauge has a range of 200-1200 degrees, 0-1000 would be more useful.
Towbar may be home made-difficult to tell due to photo quality. Homemade towbars are an insurance nightmare.
As mentioned in the ad the tray is rusty, I'd scrap it and start again.

Over all it appears to be quite a good buy for the money considering it's a TD42.

Tony

Woof
9th February 2011, 08:05 PM
Do not like the way that the Odometer numbers are not all aligned, could be an attempted wind back but not sure, just my comment.

madmacca
9th February 2011, 08:12 PM
all great comment guys my mate is here now just waiting for the guy to rock up

keep em coming if you think of anything else

cheers Macca

YNOT
9th February 2011, 08:18 PM
What exhaust does it have and where does the exhaust end, and where is the spare wheel?

Tony

AB
9th February 2011, 09:12 PM
Great reply from Tony!

Like doggy mentioned the km's are extremely low so check for general wear. If km's are legit then there should'nt really be much wear on the steering wheel (looks like he has cover on it), pedals, seat, gear stick, interior door handles, arm rests, general condition of commonly used parts, etc....The GQ i just got with 210,000km has an almost perfect interior with no wear and It's a 90 model....But this one is a ute not a avergae Joe family car.

madmacca
10th February 2011, 12:28 AM
Cheers for the advise Guys
where to start ,
I think the dash had been changed out
no muffler exhaust stoped just after the cab (recons he will change this)
was rough for 8500 imho
he had aparantly put some rust converter on the chassis it had reacted and left a whiteish residue . put me off

I told my mate to offer him 5 max

it also made my mate realise that he would prefer a wagon or swb so he will continue to look

The Quokka is out tomorrow always good for a bargain

Thanks again

Macca

AB
10th February 2011, 07:53 AM
Cheers for the advise Guys
where to start ,
I think the dash had been changed out
no muffler exhaust stoped just after the cab (recons he will change this)
was rough for 8500 imho
he had aparantly put some rust converter on the chassis it had reacted and left a whiteish residue . put me off

I told my mate to offer him 5 max

it also made my mate realise that he would prefer a wagon or swb so he will continue to look

The Quokka is out tomorrow always good for a bargain

Thanks again

Macca

I would be walking away from this one myself mate...

Bigrig
10th February 2011, 08:02 AM
Do not like the way that the Odometer numbers are not all aligned, could be an attempted wind back but not sure, just my comment.

I agree with doggy - I'm usually ok with the last couple of numbers being slightly out of whack as there is continuous movement and the mechanism can slightly wear over time, but to have the first 3 digits looking skewed sort of rings alarm bells for me. Could be paranoia but I just don't trust people that much.

MQ MAD
10th February 2011, 08:29 AM
Seems a touch steep,although its a ute and depending command better money
Mate just bought a 1989 GQ ute (leaf spring jobie)
TD42 just on 200K on her
RWC no reg

Oh forgot to add
It has a hyraulic tipper tray as well

wogboy
12th February 2011, 08:52 PM
Walk away.There are better ones around.