PDA

View Full Version : Head removal l28 lwb mq

grahamap
1st May 2014, 08:35 PM
Engine has been chewing copious amounts of oil and coolant so I removed the head to take a gander and I was met with this:

Some of the holes in the head were filled with rust and crud. Basically this is my first project so its all a learning experience, that being said getting her running efficiently is the main goal. Will be changing gaskets and seals and probably piston/rings but I hope someone can chime in with an experienced eye and point out some other things that look to be suspect
Cheers!

Parksy
1st May 2014, 08:49 PM
When you removed the head did the head gasket have any obvious damage? If it looked complete and intact you may need to get the head crack tested. Grab a steel rule (1m) and check with a feeler gauge that your head is flat. I don't know what the limit is off the top of my head, but anything over 0.2mm is too big I believe(to give you an idea of how little warpage is too much).
Make sure you completely clean the mating surfaces. Must be completely clean before reassembly.

grahamap
1st May 2014, 09:00 PM
The coating of the metal was worn and rubbed away but no full on splits. The area of the gasket that goes around the timing chain was flimsy and creased. After a long coast downhill it would pump smoke and I could see water and oil squirting lightly from what appeared to be the intake gasket around the center of the head (perhaps crack? But I cant obv see one). Compression was low in cylinders 4 and 3 so that seems to be the troubled area

grahamap
2nd May 2014, 07:44 AM
Just curious on what some of the gunky build up would tell, also the colour difference. Hard to judge by pictures but how are the bores looking? Best case id just want to replace rings and not have to go for oversized pistons!

Anyway gonna attempt to compress the valve springs with vice grips today, we will see what happens hah

grahamap
2nd May 2014, 03:52 PM
Couldnt find vice grips for the life of me but still managed to sort it out!
However all the seals look brand new!! Gonna have to dig a little deeper..

grahamap
4th May 2014, 07:05 AM
Well ive decided to pull the head of the datsun in the backyard and im gonna go with that.. was pretty interesting pulling a head in the rain, almost went cunt up in the mud!! The water jackets are all clear, the ones on my old one were almost nonexistent. . Which makes me think water wasnt cooling at all and the head has become stressed and cracked. I never noticed a spike in temperature but then I thought, the thermostat wont give a temperatuee reading if there is no water left!! Ah well lets hope this head is a winner. Next job is to pull the pistons out and see if a simple ring replacement will suffice..

grahamap
5th May 2014, 06:30 PM
New head on and car is running! Thats the good.. the bad is head gasket appears to be seeping oil slowly and im still getting smoke when I rev hard.. also the idle is very rough..

Tomorrow ill give the head bolts a bit more love and see if I can torque them some more. Didnt take any pictures I was in a pretty stressed mood and just wanted to get it done haha

Parksy
5th May 2014, 08:54 PM
I know the feeling grahamap. When you torqued the head bolts, did you follow a set sequence? Ie start in the centre and work your way out. Starting at a low torque, then worked your way up? The manual should have a torquing procedure.

grahamap
5th May 2014, 09:39 PM
Yea followed the sequence however I could have put a bit more force so hopefully that is all it is! Ill be tearing into the motor again soon, I have another head im thinking of trying and ive still got to replace piston rings just waiting on sump gasket.

grahamap
7th May 2014, 05:08 PM
Solved the head gasket issue, and a valve lash adjustment got the engine purring ! Runs awesome.. however we will see how she handles with the morning frost. Pretty chuffed anyway, last issue to resolve is piston rings and im cheering