PDA

View Full Version : Wanted UHF aerial

Family4x4
30th April 2014, 09:40 PM
I am after a bull bar mounted uhf aerial.

I am in vic and will organize postage if possible.

thanks

NissanGQ4.2
30th April 2014, 09:45 PM
Are you after just the aerial or base as well?

And anything specific?

Family4x4
30th April 2014, 10:13 PM
Aerial and base, my knowledge on uhf aerials isn't great.

Anything over 1m plus base will clear the roof of my patrol, (will roof racks make a difference)?

Preferably something durable.

Thanks Niss

rkinsey
1st May 2014, 08:49 AM
G'day Family4x4fun,

I have this one mounted to my GQ

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Benelec-UHF-Antenna-3dB-6-5dB-Dual-Elevated-Feed-All-Terrain.aspx?pid=4824#Cross

From Supercheap Auto at $130.00

Comes with two antenna. A 3db (small antenna) and a 6.5 db (Longer one about 1m) to cover all sorts of terrain. Easy to install. There is no cutting or splicing of wires, its just bolt in, run the cable and screw on the end piece. Simple!

Here are some links that explain what the technical mumbo jumbo is all about.

http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Accessories/UHFRadio.aspx

http://www.uhfcb.com.au/80-Channel-UHF-Information.php

Cheers,

Rob

MudRunnerTD
1st May 2014, 09:22 AM
I have the same one on the GQ. Have had for many years. I have it mounted on the side of my snorkel on the inde and it is well protected there. I run the 3db and have had no trouble with it in the type of terrain in travel.

There are heaps of options on eBay though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=uhf+aerial&_frs=1

I would hesitate to buy a second hand one for the price. They are a little sensitive and you'd hate to buy someone else's rubbish.

Family4x4
1st May 2014, 09:23 AM
That looks like it will be perfect,

Thanks rkinsey

MudRunnerTD
1st May 2014, 09:26 AM
3db is a short distance high pickup. (Very hilly country)
6db is a medium range pickup and is good for touring.
9db is good for very long distance (Nullabor, Central Aus, no hills)

Hope that helps.

Family4x4
1st May 2014, 09:37 AM
Is 3db shorter than 6db, or is it the other way around?

TPC
1st May 2014, 09:39 AM
Yes 3dB is shorter.

threedogs
1st May 2014, 10:07 AM
Make sure if it is ground dependant to run a wire to your battery neg terminal,
or scratch the paint off on the bulbar to make connection.
they are a great antenna I use one on my camper as a home base radio

TPC
1st May 2014, 10:27 AM
Make sure if it is ground dependant to run a wire to your battery neg terminal,
or scratch the paint off on the bulbar to make connection.
they are a great antenna I use one on my camper as a home base radio

The aerial being suggested is ground plain independent, best not to use a ground dependant antenna on a bulbar.

the evil twin
1st May 2014, 11:04 AM
That Supercheap antenna is OK but RFI are a top of the Wozza Antenna manufacturer and their "explorers pack" (that Benelec and others now offer) is awesome value from this mob at $109
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/RFI-Explorist-3-6-5dbi-UHF-CB-Antenna-Package

I pretty much only use RFI or ZCG Scalar Antennas for work and my vehicles and Prestige Communications are an awesome supplier if you don't have direct accounts with teh manuf

MEGOMONSTER
1st May 2014, 11:59 AM
That Supercheap antenna is OK but RFI are a top of the Wozza Antenna manufacturer and their "explorers pack" (that Benelec and others now offer) is awesome value from this mob at $109 http://www.prestigecom.net.au/RFI-Explorist-3-6-5dbi-UHF-CB-Antenna-Package I pretty much only use RFI or ZCG Scalar Antennas for work and my vehicles and Prestige Communications are an awesome supplier if you don't have direct accounts with teh manuf

What are your thought on the Polar brand of antenna

MudRunnerTD
1st May 2014, 12:40 PM
That Supercheap antenna is OK but RFI are a top of the Wozza Antenna manufacturer and their "explorers pack" (that Benelec and others now offer) is awesome value from this mob at $109
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/RFI-Explorist-3-6-5dbi-UHF-CB-Antenna-Package

I pretty much only use RFI or ZCG Scalar Antennas for work and my vehicles and Prestige Communications are an awesome supplier if you don't have direct accounts with teh manuf

Yes i have been running an Australian Made ZCG Antenna on my GUIV for 6 years and think its great! 6DB Bull bar mounted. Unscrewed and removed when not in use.

the evil twin
1st May 2014, 12:50 PM

Heard of them but never tested or used any of their gear (well, knowingly anyway). Fairly small Ausie mob AFAIK but could be wrong.

ZCG and RFI are hard to go past. I've never seen anything better for test results, quality or durability and they are large Aussie companies so tick all the boxes.

GME make nice antenna's as well and again are Aussie so get an extra vote in my book.

TPC
1st May 2014, 12:50 PM

Polar brand is also very good, will perform simular to RFI.

MEGOMONSTER
1st May 2014, 03:31 PM
Heard of them but never tested or used any of their gear (well, knowingly anyway). Fairly small Ausie mob AFAIK but could be wrong. ZCG and RFI are hard to go past. I've never seen anything better for test results, quality or durability and they are large Aussie companies so tick all the boxes. GME make nice antenna's as well and again are Aussie so get an extra vote in my book.

I heard several public services use them in their whole fleets.

Drewboyaus
1st May 2014, 03:32 PM
Personally prefer RFI and GME as both are made in Australia by Australian companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MEGOMONSTER
1st May 2014, 03:38 PM
Personally prefer RFI and GME as both are made in Australia by Australian companies. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I'm using GME, just thought I'd put it in here.

TPC
1st May 2014, 04:24 PM
Personally prefer RFI and GME as both are made in Australia by Australian companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Polar is an Australian company, made in Moorabbin in Vic.

MEGOMONSTER
1st May 2014, 04:30 PM
Polar is an Australian company, made in Moorabbin in Vic.

That's 3 great antennas all in OZ.
So what do the rest of the world use.

the evil twin
1st May 2014, 04:46 PM
That's 3 great antennas all in OZ.
So what do the rest of the world use.

Many of those that are in the know use Australian made or designed Antennas... seriously...
One of the other leaders is Japan.

Unfortunately very few items are 100% Australian made these days and that includes GME (as they publicly acknowledge)...
but...
the componentry that is made overseas is to Aussie design and specs so I am happy to call that "as good as it gets"

bindi
18th May 2014, 05:24 PM
nice to see Oz companies doing well and not blighted by the cheap imports.

old saying....buy cheap....get cheap

I'd be happy spending a few dollars more just to know that I can phone someone for a chat or support if ever needed.

threedogs
18th May 2014, 05:30 PM
I guy called peter Dwyer has designed a few antenna ,
he was the owner of Telstat Communications down Seaford way
but who ever brought Telstat also brought Time Plus in Brunswick

GQ TANK
18th May 2014, 09:21 PM
I mainly use polar and RFI - preferance being RFI - depends on the application.

The RFI Elevated feed GPI and Mopole GPI antennas are great. The elvated feed where orginaly designed for emergency services, to lift the feed point above the lights when the antennna was mounted on a roof bar. I personally use a GPi 3db Moploe antenna on my vehcile - (im a radio tech and have access to the correct tools to test and terminate)

Polar make a good GPI antenna - but the white ceramic bases are prone to snapping if a bird / or branch hits the antenna.

ZCG products are good

GME don't make antennas, but obrtain from other manufacturers

Note

If you mount a GPI antenna on the bull bar you will have reduce coverage behind the vehcile. We have done some testing inthe past (driveing towards and away from a trasmitter , found that there is around 10db drop in receive signal level.