PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...4.8L Turbo questions

Travisty
29th April 2014, 07:54 AM
HI Everyone,

I currently have a GU 4.8 Auto. I am looking at putting a turbo on it in the near future and would just like to hear a few people opinions and experiences before I do it. I recently did a valve body upgrade (wholesale autos) and complete rebuild of the gearbox after reading that the Auto will be the weakest link once the turbo is installed.

Is anyone running the 5 speed auto with a turbo 4.8, if so what did they do to it (if anything)?

I have been advised to run Motec M84 ECU. What are peoples thoughts or experiences

Diff ratio is currently 3.9 running 33's. I would assume if once I throw the Turbo on I would need to go back to the 4.1 or 4.3 ratio.

This is going to be my daily driver, I am after reliability (don't want it to be a race car) and of course as 4.8 owners would understand I would like better fuel economy. I have been told that I could run 8PSI safely and still keep the reliability, is that about what everyone else is running.

Anyone running a stroker kit?

I am not the most mechanically minded person in the world, but I would imagine it would also have a lot to do with what turbo kit your running, who does the install and tunning and who builds your fuel pump.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers
Trav

threedogs
29th April 2014, 08:41 AM
Hello and welcome to the Forum

MEGOMONSTER
29th April 2014, 09:33 AM
Wow that's a lot of questions in your intro.
I would probably dissect it a little and start new threads in the appropriate sections.
Have you tried the search function yet.

Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it. If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Sherro
29th April 2014, 10:18 AM
G'day Trav welcome to the forum mate.

Dhuck
29th April 2014, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

growler2058
29th April 2014, 06:50 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard

Gecko17
29th April 2014, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Travisty
29th April 2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I will be sure to sit down and have a read over the next few weeks and hopefully get a few if not all these questions answered. Thanks again

Clunk
29th April 2014, 10:56 PM
Welcome aboard mate, not sure if anyone on here has fitted a turbo to a tb48, could be wrong though. Hopefully someone will have an answer or you.

kevin07
29th April 2014, 11:17 PM
gday trav and welcome all I can say is this if you turbo it I don't think you will need to worry about any sort of fuel economy as it will be gone. there was something posted here not long ago about a rebuild kit for the 4.8 that will make it take off, maybe one of the blokes here who know how to bring up old threads could find it. maybe also a supercharger

oncedisturbed
30th April 2014, 10:48 AM
I have looked at getting a turbo on mine but the kit is approx $8300 plus fitting so not really an option for me.

Welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

threedogs
30th April 2014, 12:45 PM
Email simon @ 4wd tv.com .au, he had a turbo 4.8 from memory.
at least he could tell you good points and down points.

Travisty
30th April 2014, 05:07 PM
Yeah I have been saving $$ and questioning whether to do it or not, now I have the money I will spend the time doing the research so I do it right the first time. I am hoping to get Diesel Central in Gracemere to do the install, I have seen a lot of nice reliable 4.8's come out of that shop in the past, just got to convince them to work on another petrol ha ha

Nissan_Jarod
1st May 2014, 11:52 PM
Hi ive recently brought a patrol and so keen to get into some forums and read up about stuff. I hope you find what you are looking for and have a good chat with a bunch of good people...

WELCOME

my third 256
2nd May 2014, 10:01 AM
Welcome to the forum mate