PDA

View Full Version : Replaced clutch, still slipping...

boosh
28th April 2014, 01:25 AM
Well just had a terrible day.
Last week my clutch, or what I presumed to be my clutch, gave out.
It was slipping a lot, couldn't get out of my driveway. We could here it grinding and the smell...
Ordered a new clutch. Went with Exedy heavy duty.
Using a hoist and a jack, we got the old clutch out quite easily. The flywheel we didn't replace for two reasons, lack of funds and its still in very good shape.
The pressure plate on the old clutch on the other hand was in terrible shape. It had lost all its texture and you could see it had been very hot. The clutch plate didn't look terrible, but quite bad still. Had a few spots on the t/m side that were quite glossy. It was obviously slipping on the t/m side.

So anyway, we put the new clutch and pressure plate on. New spigot bearing. And after multiple attempts, we got the gearbox back up and bolted on.

Everything went very well actually, not as difficult as I was expecting.

Now the bad news:
It's still slipping! Can hear the grinding and it sounds and feels no different to before!
Out of desperation we bled the fluid that didn't change anything. We checked the clutch lever, we thought it may be getting stuck and not coming back all the way, but we can move it easily with our hands all the way back.

We now have no idea what could be happening. Our next step is to take it all out again and check it all. Unless someone here can shed some light...

Thanks guys!

macca86
28th April 2014, 05:28 AM
Could the master cylinder be faulty or not adjusted properly. Also if you have the original duel mass fly wheel did you order the wron pressure plate or with excess heat has ruined the rubbers on the duel mass and needs replaced.

kevin07
28th April 2014, 07:58 AM
2 things when u say that you can move it with your hands all the way back does this mean you have to manually move it all the way back if so sounds like the master could be the problem or part of the problem don't rule out several different problems at once. and as macca explained may be the wrong pressure plate or the flywheel. tell us if its a dual mass or should I say a pain in the ass flywheel.

boosh
28th April 2014, 10:50 AM
The master cylinder brings the clutch lever to rest on the pressure plate. What I mean by being able to move it with my hand is that I can push the lever into the cylinder, so the bearing is being pushed all the way back, then it slowly comes back to rest on the pressure plate.

It is the dual mass flywheel in there. Forgive my ignorance, but if the rubbers in the flywheel are ruined, would this cause it to slip, making the grinding noise?

I'm getting a price for a solid mass flywheel just in case that's what we need. The more I read the more it looks like that's what the problem is.

mudnut
28th April 2014, 11:04 AM
Slightly off topic, but, if you fit a new clutch with out at least getting your fly wheel machined, you could void your clutch warranty. The supplier may ask for the receipt for the machining, if there has been new a clutch failure. EDIT.

boosh
28th April 2014, 11:24 AM
It is advisable to replace the spigot bearing when a clutch is replaced.
Read the first post.

There wasn't any movement on the shaft.

mudnut
28th April 2014, 11:27 AM
Sorry I re-read what you wrote and tried to edit my post before you saw it. I take it, you replaced the thrust bearing as it should come with the kit?

kevin07
28th April 2014, 01:20 PM
do not machine dual mass call Nissan aust 1800035035

boosh
28th April 2014, 01:23 PM
do not machine dual mass call Nissan aust 1800035035

Yeh I've been told not to machine the dual mass. I'll end up getting a new solid flywheel I think. Just waiting on a couple of prices.

kevin07
28th April 2014, 01:33 PM
ouch but it will be worth it ive had a dual mass collapse on me had to drive home from Byron with the camper on no clutch because steve jarvin Nissan machined the flywheel on my old nav then after much trouble after found that the master cylinder crapped itself as well hence me saying could be more than 1 problem, and dam steve jarvin as well

boosh
28th April 2014, 06:34 PM
So I've ordered a flywheel. $700 later... I had to go Exedy to match the clutch. Probably a good thing.

With the master cylinder, is there a sure way to test that to make sure it's operating 100% ?

macca86
28th April 2014, 07:45 PM
If you just ordered a solid flywheel to match the clutch doesn't that mean you installed the wrong clutch as they are 2 different clutches aren't they

boosh
28th April 2014, 08:16 PM
That's what we thought but we called the guys at Exedy and the clutch that we bought suits the dual mass and their solid flywheel. But only their solid flywheel, we don't have another option.