PDA

View Full Version : td42 leaking fuel pump

Roscoe
27th April 2014, 09:28 AM
Hi guys can any one tell me is it a difficult job to replace the o ring on the throttle shaft on a td 42 fuel pump whilst it is still in the car,the engine runs great its just developed a fuel leak around the throttle on the fuel pump,the engine hasn't ran for a couple of months due to a conversion from a rd28t to the td42,prior to this it was fine so i am guessing the o ring has gone hard,there is a slight bit of movement in the shaft,any help would be greatly appreciated,i don't really want to remove the pump and have it over hauled unless it is totally necessary.

AB
27th April 2014, 10:22 AM
I know you don't need to take the pump out if you are replacing the top seal as it happened to me a few years back and I am pretty sure the same applies for the O Ring, can anyone else confirm this?

Roscoe
27th April 2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reply AB,did you replace the seal yourself if so was it relatively easy?

AB
27th April 2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the reply AB,did you replace the seal yourself if so was it relatively easy?

Hey mate, I had just finished my turbo and was giving it to diesel Tec for a tune so I killed two birds and got them to replace it.

From what I have read on here though its a relatively easy job to replace.

I think from memory it was an extra 150-200 to repair so not the end of the world. Some people mention it's a band aid fix and will go again but mine has been fine for the last 3 years...touch wood.

Roscoe
27th April 2014, 06:01 PM
that sounds like a good idea,i think i might do the same,thanks for your help

Chimo
27th April 2014, 06:04 PM
PM Sent ..................

Roscoe
17th May 2014, 06:20 PM
just an update,i decided to pull the pump off and get it checked out,the result is it is worn out and its cost $1900 for total rebuild (ouch!) ah well i know i will get a lot more ks out of the old girl now.