PDA

View Full Version : MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Ben-e-boy
11th January 2013, 12:13 PM
are the armadas the 6inch + size??

MudRunnerTD
11th January 2013, 12:42 PM
Now that I would pay good money to see!!!!

I was going to ask your advice on rear suspension as I am getting that saggy bottom and more to one side.. springs are not that old??? airbags... coil spacers.... heavier springs?????? what would you suggest!!!

Hey BA we might have a look at your car at the meetup and have a chat about it mate. see you in a week.

Keep us posted on how those shocks go, if they are any good I will be getting a set for the GQ. Awesome work mate. Sounds like its time for a twin motor 24v giggle pin air free spool setup for the ole wagon.

Shhhhhh...... Dont tell the missus ;) Seriously thinking of going 24v at a minimum. ;)

are the armadas the 6inch + size??

Hey Bene,

I have left it up to the guys at Superiors. While i am paying for the items i am well and truly "Being Looked after" and the fit up will be filmed for 4WDTV. they are already Marketing off this build up so i am giving them heaps of room to play. They are very aware of what i do with the car and have seen heaps of the pics i have posted here. We have weighed the car front and back on a Bridge and given them all the details. The pic above was sent to me i have not dribbled over them just yet. LOL

Note that there is a Spring Tower Brace there too. I found a 3" tare in the gusset before the last big trip and that has all been repaired and filmed in anticipation of this filming too.

Watch this space, I'll embed it all here and i will get you the open and closed lengths of those shocks when i get near them.

Cheers MR

Bloodyaussie
11th January 2013, 01:08 PM
Cheers Darren look forward to it !!

Ben-e-boy
11th January 2013, 01:10 PM
busted/bent top hats are getting more common, I put the wagon one in mine as the drivers side one is bent up about 20mm. I said this on the previous page I dont envy you trying to put that brace in :)

if they are the 6+ a long arm kit will take it up another step:smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_th umbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smile y_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::s miley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up:

MudRunnerTD
11th January 2013, 01:36 PM
busted/bent top hats are getting more common, I put the wagon one in mine as the drivers side one is bent up about 20mm. I said this on the previous page I dont envy you trying to put that brace in :)

if they are the 6+ a long arm kit will take it up another step:smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_th umbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smile y_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up::s miley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up:

LOL, yeah sorry i did see that on the other page, I am not sure how bad teh top hat is and wont really know until we try and line that thing up!!!! Will have to wait and see.?? Bloody hope not! I would like to put the bolt in kit into the GUIV actually. Looks sweet.

And your bloody long arm kit...........:gossip:.............. Between You and Newby my List is NOT getting Shorter! :driving2:

:smileyvault-cute-bi

Turbo
11th January 2013, 02:08 PM
Very nice Build mate!

Ben-e-boy
11th January 2013, 03:02 PM
Very nice Build mate!

here for the manual hey??

Ben-e-boy
11th January 2013, 03:04 PM
LOL, yeah sorry i did see that on the other page, I am not sure how bad teh top hat is and wont really know until we try and line that thing up!!!! Will have to wait and see.?? Bloody hope not! I would like to put the bolt in kit into the GUIV actually. Looks sweet.

And your bloody long arm kit...........:gossip:.............. Between You and Newby my List is NOT getting Shorter! :driving2:

:smileyvault-cute-bi

lmao. I pride myself in my ute and being generous with other peoples money lmao

MudRunnerTD
12th January 2013, 03:28 PM
The post man delivered my Christmas Present that had been on back order..

Oh Goodie!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
12th January 2013, 03:55 PM
nice, have not seen one in the flesh but have seen some awesome video footage from them.

Think u better go out for a play now

wildgu6
12th January 2013, 04:16 PM
Thats a serious lookin piece of gear you got there Dazza...... Very nice mate.. Lookin forward to seeing the results of that baby.

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2013, 09:05 PM
This is going to be great fun!!

Damn it's tiny!!

big_fletch
15th January 2013, 09:31 PM
Thats the new Go-pro3, sick camera.. Ordered 1 as well this week, got the black edition one mainly for when i go snowboarding..
One of the best cameras you can buy

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2013, 09:38 PM
Yeah this was a Chrissy present. I would have gone the Black for the extra too but beggers should be thankful ;)

I will buy the remote as this is the silver and is wifi ready. I spoke to the Camera store about the differences and he said basically the differences between the Silver and Black editions are at the highest end of the spectrums and No Domestic TV can even Read the highest setting of the Silver let alone the Black so the Black is really only needed for the guys doing the High End Documentarys and stuff for Cinema.

This is an insane bit of Kit for sure!!!! Can't wait to have a play with it.

Hey fletch go back a few pages in this build thread mate, you missed a wicked trip I did just before Christmas. Go check out the pics mate!!

healy
15th January 2013, 09:42 PM
This is going to be great fun!!

Damn it's tiny!!

You'll love that mate I got the black one at Christmas picture is awesome and the mounts hold up aswell I suggest you get 2 more batts and a car charger a bloke on eBay does a little kit for around $60

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2013, 09:44 PM
You'll love that mate I got the black one at Christmas picture is awesome and the mounts hold up aswell I suggest you get 2 more batts and a car charger a bloke on eBay does a little kit for around $60

There is sooo much stuff on eBay! Have you got a link Healy?

Winnie
15th January 2013, 09:51 PM
I would be interested in that link too. I've got the silver edition too MR, bloody insane bit of gear!!!! I got the suction cup mount to put on the outside of the car, should get some awesome footage on Aus day weekend!

healy
15th January 2013, 10:01 PM
http://stores.ebay.com.au/outandabout2003?_rdc=1 Hopefully this works im no good with computers

Winnie
15th January 2013, 10:09 PM
This one seems too good to be true???
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Progo-2-Battery-Charger-For-GoPro-HD-Hero-3-HERO3-Camera-AHDBT-201-AHDBT-301-/110990114860?pt=US_Camera_Camcorder_Accessory_Bund les&hash=item19d786c02c&_uhb=1

Hey Daz don't waste your money on the remote, if you've got a smartphone download the gopro app and you can use your phone to see what the camera is viewing and use it remotely. Comes in real handy!!

healy
15th January 2013, 10:12 PM
yeah ive got the remote and the app is better to use i agree with winnie on this one

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 11:18 AM
Well I spent a few hours under the GQ last weekend with a little jimmy bar loosening up all the mud a d then pressure washed just the underside of the car. 4 hour job at least!

Let it all dry for a week and after filling all the Dog Dug pot holes in the back yard this is what I raked up out of the grass!

That's a Builders Barrow

Now for round 2!! Nearly there! Need to get it clean before the suspension goes on!

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 01:35 PM
Holy Crap!

Here is a radiator that has had a fare hit with the pressure washer and still looks like this!

Glad I took it out and worth considering for everyone that goes in a bog hole. You can't get to this without taking it out.

From the clean side

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 01:39 PM
Here is my Titan winch solenoid under the bonnet under the washer bottle

Top right is the winch solenoid and bott left is the radiator mount

Anyone want a TD42 fuel pump! It's in there somewhere!

How about a steering box!!

Damn I hate mud!!

Ben-e-boy
19th January 2013, 01:48 PM
Here is my Titan winch solenoid under the bonnet under the washer bottle

Top right is the winch solenoid and bott left is the radiator mount

Anyone want a TD42 fuel pump! It's in there somewhere!

How about a steering box!!

Damn I hate mud!!

you're a sucker for punishment arn't you

Yendor
19th January 2013, 01:59 PM
Shhhhhh...... Dont tell the missus ;) Seriously thinking of going 24v at a minimum. ;)

The seed has been sown.....lol

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 02:03 PM
you're a sucker for punishment arn't you

yeah i know mate, this is still the clean out after the trip before Christmas, been really busy and never got to it. Man it is Everywhere!

I'll post some pics of the inside!!! Holy Crap!

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 02:03 PM
The seed has been sown.....lol

Shhhhhhhh!

BigRAWesty
19th January 2013, 03:09 PM
Top effort..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MudRunnerTD
19th January 2013, 05:05 PM
Maybe we should get this working on the fire up at Walhalla!

It's leggo!

brando4x4
9th February 2013, 10:35 AM
That trip looks mad mate
go 24v you'll love it

MudRunnerTD
9th February 2013, 11:52 AM
Cheers mate I'm pretty keen on a 24v setup and working that way. Just have a few things on the buy now list first. The car is still not rolling after that trip.

I removed your link but that's Hells Gate. Winching exercise. Pointless to be honest. You don't go there to drive. You will drive no more than 20% of the track and skull drag the rest on a double line pull.

Never need to do it again. Tick that box

MudRunnerTD
16th February 2013, 08:07 PM
Well I just stripped the 6hp winch motor and this is what I found!!

Yes there are supposed to be 4 brushes in a 6hp and all that mess on the bench is 2 of them that have exploded inside the motor!!!

FARKKKK!!!!

Hmmmm?? Where's the Gaffa Tape?

Ben-e-boy
16th February 2013, 08:13 PM
wow! you are lucky you didnt damage the windings or something

AB
16th February 2013, 09:32 PM
For sale (gotta get rid of it)
1 winch (used to be)
perfect condition (on the outside)
only used once (for 13 hours straight)
Bargain!!

Sounds like a bargain plassy....lol

MudRunnerTD
16th February 2013, 09:39 PM
you can have it for $300 but thats giving it away! Because i'm a good bloke you understand

MudRunnerTD
16th February 2013, 09:42 PM
Just split a bloody stubbie over my keyboard! Damn it!! Who does that!!

NissanGQ4.2
16th February 2013, 11:51 PM
Who does that!! A drunk person!!!! :)

Clunk
17th February 2013, 12:00 AM
Just split a bloody stubbie over my keyboard! Damn it!! Who does that!!

Someone who can afford to replace a mac keyboard............... but more like to be someone who really dislikes using their Mac and is slowly but surely destroying it.

Is there such a thing as RTI..... Repetitive Tapping Injury?????

MudRunnerTD
18th February 2013, 12:04 PM
Someone who can afford to replace a mac keyboard............... but more like to be someone who really dislikes using their Mac and is slowly but surely destroying it.

Is there such a thing as RTI..... Repetitive Tapping Injury?????

the Beer Killed the keys! damn it! New Mac Keyboard $65 but its awesome! needed a new one anyway. Tight and soo easy to use.

taslucas
18th February 2013, 12:47 PM
the Beer Killed the keys! damn it! New Mac Keyboard $65 but its awesome! needed a new one anyway. Tight and soo easy to use.

Only problem is you need an app to use it! Hahaha

FanTapstic!

93patrol
19th February 2013, 02:58 AM
Hey MR just spent the better part of 3 hours going through your thread gotta say MAAAAAATTTTTTTEEE you've got an awesome rig and balls the size of cocnuts going through that much mud and winch efforts. I think I'll stick to my beach runs and sand dunes with a few simpler tracks than to go anywhere with you.

Cheers for the Write up though, just wondering what boost are you running though your turbo and intercooler setup dont think i saw it but that could be tired eyes

cheers Shane

Bloodyaussie
19th February 2013, 08:48 AM
Hey MR just spent the better part of 3 hours going through your thread gotta say MAAAAAATTTTTTTEEE you've got an awesome rig and balls the size of cocnuts going through that much mud and winch efforts. I think I'll stick to my beach runs and sand dunes with a few simpler tracks than to go anywhere with you.

Cheers for the Write up though, just wondering what boost are you running though your turbo and intercooler setup dont think i saw it but that could be tired eyes

cheers Shane

To meet him you would say there is nothing unusual about him but deep down I think there is the odd chromosome missing!!!

No normal person does what he does!!

Winnie
19th February 2013, 09:22 AM
It's all a lie anyway... Met him a few times but nobody here has ever seen this GQ!

Bloodyaussie
19th February 2013, 09:30 AM
It's all a lie anyway... Met him a few times but nobody here has ever seen this GQ!

To true!!!!!

MudRunnerTD
19th February 2013, 11:55 AM
Ya buggers!

Lol

I run about 16psi to the turbo and really need to upgrade the pump to get any more out of it.

Glad you enjoyed the read mate! It's been a slog.

It's all true. Lol

To my embarrassment though if you check out the "treds" promo on 4wdtv you will find Danny's Zook trying out the Treds and a big White GQ (me) failing in a little trench. Check it out. Damn it I was filming and should have pressed erase! Maybe I should have put it in 4wd though? Hmmm will try that next time. Lol

Winnie
19th February 2013, 11:57 AM
What RPM do you hit 16psi at?

Bloodyaussie
19th February 2013, 06:12 PM
Check it out. Damn it I was filming and should have pressed erase! Maybe I should have put it in 4wd though? Hmmm will try that next time. Lol
Excuses excuses!!!!!!!

Lights
21st February 2013, 01:02 PM
Cheers mate I'm pretty keen on a 24v setup and working that way. Just have a few things on the buy now list first. The car is still not rolling after that trip.

I removed your link but that's Hells Gate. Winching exercise. Pointless to be honest. You don't go there to drive. You will drive no more than 20% of the track and skull drag the rest on a double line pull.

Never need to do it again. Tick that box

Darren, they are ridiculous statements in the above quote. Crazy talk!
You will be back for another shot at it. I know you will.

MudRunnerTD
21st February 2013, 01:54 PM
Darren, they are ridiculous statements in the above quote. Crazy talk!
You will be back for another shot at it. I know you will.

^^^^^ That Bloke right There^^^^^ Its His fault! EVIL MAN! I will happily follow you and Danny in your 2 80s down that track no probs at all! Pick the date.

Greazer
3rd March 2013, 12:13 AM
Awesome build thread mate, just read the whole thing, given me heaps of ideas for my own build. Really impressed.

crouchy1989
3rd March 2013, 09:39 PM
now thats dedication

MudRunnerTD
16th March 2013, 08:48 AM
Heading over the Biders 4x4 in Cranbourne this morning to collect 2 GU diffs for the GQ, the front has been. Freshly Braced and ready for me to fit my diff centres too! Excited!

While I'm over that side of town ill drop into Somerville to G&S Tyres and grab a new Bow2 6.5hp motor and 24v booster solenoid for the Himount!

Easter will be spent under the GQ!!

Alitis007
16th March 2013, 11:21 AM
That sounds like fun Darren, so when are you going to put it to the test ??

Winnie
16th March 2013, 11:25 AM
He's gonna bring it to talarook next month!

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

Alitis007
16th March 2013, 11:29 AM
Maybe if we go down and give him a hand Chris WE can take it for a test run for him lmao!!!

MudRunnerTD
16th March 2013, 07:31 PM
Maybe if we go down and give him a hand Chris WE can take it for a test run for him lmao!!!

Your very welcome to help me lug these diffs mate! They are huge!

Well the front diff is stripped and braced and the CVs still have the Factory Japan Grease packed around them!!! Never been in 4wd I reckon! The perfect front diff! Bigger thicker disks and twin pot front brakes! This is going to be awesome!

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2013, 11:17 AM
Factory grease

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2013, 01:22 PM

If you want good advice, Great Bar Work, Vehicle Mods and Engineering

Talk to John Bidwell from Bidders 4x4

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2013, 07:22 PM
Well started stripping the rear diff and have gone over the front diff with a wire wheel.

27086270872708827089270902709127092270932709427095 270962709727098270992710027101

Parksy
17th March 2013, 09:49 PM
Those are some hefty looking axles. How thick are they?

Will you be changing the rear diff axle bearings? I've heard they are difficult, on the disk brake model anyway.

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2013, 09:55 PM

Will you be changing the rear diff axle bearings? I've heard they are difficult, on the disk brake model anyway.

Yeah they are huge!!!

No I will repack the wheel bearings and replace the axle seals and I will be putting in the 4.6 centre and Airlocker currently in the GQ when I do the swap over. Hence stripping it down.

The front was basically brand new and the back looks nearly brand new too! Very pleased. The ratios are 3.9s so not allot of use to me but I have 3.9 s in the GIUV so may keep them as spares ( I shouldn't but might)

MudRunnerTD
17th March 2013, 09:58 PM

You can see in the last pic that the bearing is held in by a hub nut from behind the hub so the axle has to come out as i have stripped it to get that bearing out.

BigRAWesty
18th March 2013, 07:27 AM
Geese mate.. you did a good job on it..
Nice looking laminated diff. Is that a q or u diff case?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Bloodyaussie
18th March 2013, 09:36 AM
We have all seen him down here... Ya not missing much... he he dont hurt me Daz!!!!

Sir Roofy
18th March 2013, 09:52 AM
your very welcome to help me lug these diffs mate! They are huge!

Well the front diff is stripped and braced and the cvs still have the factory japan grease packed around them!!! Never been in 4wd i reckon! The perfect front diff! Bigger thicker disks and twin pot front brakes! This is going to be awesome!

would you be putting a harry hard case on as well,ive got a gouge in the top of mine
wich saved me from getting holed

Winnie
18th March 2013, 09:59 AM
Top effort Daz - a daunting job for most, and it sickens me how easy you make this stuff look!!! lmao

Seriously need to organise a catchup with a few from up here also (maybe halfway??) and hit the tracks - would love to see the truck in action ... oh, and you course! lol

Scotty (Bigrig)

Great Southern Camping
www.gscoffroad.com.au

No point, the GQ is just for show.

If you're happy and you know it tap a post!

MudRunnerTD
18th March 2013, 12:27 PM
Geese mate.. you did a good job on it..
Nice looking laminated diff. Is that a q or u diff case?

Kallen Westbrook

Its a GU diff housing. I have a pair of GU diffs going onto the GQ. Sick of smashing CVs. The GU CVs are much bigger and teh wheel track is also wider which is a Bonus! Oh Yeah! the Brakes on a GU are AWESOME!!! The GQ centres go straight in!

Biders 4WD did the bracing of the diff housing and it came up very tidy.

Top effort Daz - a daunting job for most, and it sickens me how easy you make this stuff look!!! lmao

Seriously need to organise a catchup with a few from up here also (maybe halfway??) and hit the tracks - would love to see the truck in action ... oh, and you course! lol

Scotty (Bigrig)

Great Southern Camping
www.gscoffroad.com.au

Hey Scottie,

Mate i have never stripped a rear diff before and did not refer to the manual. it was pretty basic. Once i have finished i might do a DIY thread for the rear diff and wheel bearings which will add to our wealth of knowledge here. BLOODY HEAVY though!!!

We have all seen him down here... Ya not missing much... he he dont hurt me Daz!!!!

Chris Punch him in the Neck!

would you be putting a harry hard case on as well,ive got a gouge in the top of mine
wich saved me from getting holed

Hey Roof,

Nah i have had a plate welded to the front as part of the bracing setup so it will not hang down.

No point, the GQ is just for show.

it wills top being a show car if i keep smashing t to bits though!!!!

One day ill bring t out and you can play with it!. After Dark is a winner! ;)

nikp_7
20th March 2013, 02:08 PM
Mate, Awesome thread...ive flicked thru from the start.

I started getting exciting thinking i may rip mine down further....but then i noticed you started this project in 2010!!!! My wife would kill me if i hijacked the shed for that long!

But really good work mate

Gerry
22nd March 2013, 03:16 PM
Nice looking rig buddy

MudRunnerTD
23rd March 2013, 07:09 PM
These GU diffs are all stripped and cleaned. Painted the casings with this

They look clean. Probably not the best product for a diff paint but it is thick and should work on

Ben-e-boy
23rd March 2013, 07:29 PM
The more I see these The more I want some. Do you need 16inch rims to fit?

MudRunnerTD
23rd March 2013, 08:10 PM
The more I see these The more I want some. Do you need 16inch rims to fit?

Hmmm? Not sure Ben. I think a 15 will fit. Only the 4.8 came out with the larger disk.

These have much bigger CVs and a wider track and twin pot brakes with much Thicker rotors. Paired with my braided brake lines and this is going to be wicked

Ben-e-boy
23rd March 2013, 09:09 PM
Hmmm? Not sure Ben. I think a 15 will fit. Only the 4.8 came out with the larger disk.

These have much bigger CVs and a wider track and twin pot brakes with much Thicker rotors. Paired with my braided brake lines and this is going to be wicked

righto. Do you know if 4.8 rotors will fit my h233b? If it can fit it means I can work other things into the budget

In its current form it hasnt done any long distance drives (+1000km in 1 hit), and if I am doing a trip to landcruiser park or something with alot of dirt road the ute isnt a very nice place to be.
Im trying to change the setup for the trip next year, so I have to start planning and saving for it now.

MudRunnerTD
23rd March 2013, 09:36 PM
These are diffs off a 4.5 and will take my GQ centres in 4.6s no trouble at all. Straight bolt in. If you grabbed a set off a zd30 you'd get 4.3 centres and your lockers would go straight in. I assume your running 4.6s already though? Although your rock hoppers would probably mean some 4.3s would be sweet.

Is it only the Ute Cab that is your issue?

Royce
24th March 2013, 01:28 AM
Mud runner, your truck is insane!

Ben-e-boy
24th March 2013, 04:59 PM
These are diffs off a 4.5 and will take my GQ centres in 4.6s no trouble at all. Straight bolt in. If you grabbed a set off a zd30 you'd get 4.3 centres and your lockers would go straight in. I assume your running 4.6s already though? Although your rock hoppers would probably mean some 4.3s would be sweet.

Is it only the Ute Cab that is your issue?

Sweet I will see what I can find. The compliance plate says I have 4.1's and I havnt changed them.

The cab is part of the issue due to its size, but the ride is rigid, poor spring and shock choice (although just got back from the first drive with the kings see other thread) and after a while on a dirt road its like I am running leaf springs, its terrible. The base of the recaros have seen better days and need to be beefed up, they'll break your spine after about 6 hours lol
I'll have it all sorted by next year for meetup in the middle.

MudRunnerTD
24th March 2013, 05:14 PM
Sweet I will see what I can find. The compliance plate says I have 4.1's and I havnt changed them.

The cab is part of the issue due to its size, but the ride is rigid, poor spring and shock choice (although just got back from the first drive with the kings see other thread) and after a while on a dirt road its like I am running leaf springs, its terrible. The base of the recaros have seen better days and need to be beefed up, they'll break your spine after about 6 hours lol
I'll have it all sorted by next year for meetup in the middle.

Then chase some GU zd30'diffs and you will get some 4.3s. The GUIV TD42 ran 3.9s so don't think you want to do that. Not sure about the 4.5s although these ones have 3.9s in them. Regardless your 3rd member will just go straight in as a carrier so no big deal.

Sounds like your setup was wrong. I had the 12 stage Boss and hated them.! Your kings will transform the car. You might look at increasing the pressure for the Meetup touring trip then drop the pressure again when you get home for playing.

Your running an empty tray most of the time though hey? Loaded for touring will make a difference to mate.

Ben-e-boy
24th March 2013, 07:57 PM
Then chase some GU zd30'diffs and you will get some 4.3s. The GUIV TD42 ran 3.9s so don't think you want to do that. Not sure about the 4.5s although these ones have 3.9s in them. Regardless your 3rd member will just go straight in as a carrier so no big deal.

Sounds like your setup was wrong. I had the 12 stage Boss and hated them.! Your kings will transform the car. You might look at increasing the pressure for the Meetup touring trip then drop the pressure again when you get home for playing.

Your running an empty tray most of the time though hey? Loaded for touring will make a difference to mate.

We had the same shocks. So I would have encountered similar situations.
You are right the set up is wrong. the shocks were the first change. :)

MudRunnerTD
29th March 2013, 11:37 PM
Well had a big day! George generously gave me a day helping me swap out the front diff in favour of a very tidy braced GU front diff. We swapped out the centre with the Airlocker and its all bolted up. Had a couple of hiccups but looking good.

Heading over to George's workshop tomorrow to fit Healy's clutch and gear box then back to the GQ on Monday tomgetnthenrear diff swapped over too. No where near as big a job as swapping the front out.

Cheers George! your a legend mate.

Ben-e-boy
30th March 2013, 12:54 AM
Top effort mate!! Can't wait to catch up at some stage and do some wheeling - any smell "boys weekend"??!!

Scotty (Bigrig)

Great Southern Camping
www.gscoffroad.com.au

I can smell it. For Sure. Some people say the GQ is an urban myth. I dont believe it at all..... You just need to have a worthy rig to tread the same ground as it. as we both do lmao

Alitis007
30th March 2013, 01:51 AM
Well had a big day! George generously gave me a day helping me swap out the front diff in favour of a very tidy braced GU front diff. We swapped out the centre with the Airlocker and its all bolted up. Had a couple of hiccups but looking good.

Heading over to George's workshop tomorrow to fit Healy's clutch and gear box then back to the GQ on Monday tomgetnthenrear diff swapped over too. No where near as big a job as swapping the front out.

Cheers George! your a legend mate.

No dramas mate!!! The rear will be easy as, at least we wont be showing off our "TOYS" toys for 4hours hahaha

Sorry mate i had to give your neighbors BUZ by lol

Alitis007
30th March 2013, 02:03 AM
I can smell it. For Sure. Some people say the GQ is an urban myth. I dont believe it at all..... You just need to have a worthy rig to tread the same ground as it. as we both do lmao

This urban myth you speak off, it rolls out in fog, digs massive ruts and and has more soil on it than your local garden supplier too!!!

MudRunnerTD
30th March 2013, 09:58 AM

Winnie
30th March 2013, 10:06 AM
Hey George I think you're the ONLY person from the forum to have ever seen the elusive GQ. So how much did Darren pay you to pretend it exists?

MudRunnerTD
30th March 2013, 10:08 AM

Alitis007
30th March 2013, 10:14 AM
Hey George I think you're the ONLY person from the forum to have ever seen the elusive GQ. So how much did Darren pay you to pretend it exists?

Well Chris, if i told you i would have to kill you!!! Lol and mate it does exist you when YOU where a kid and you used to call for your parents coz you thought something was in your closet, Darren GQ IS IT!!! Its a monster mate!! Lol

Winnie
30th March 2013, 10:27 AM
Hahaha, when I was talking to Darren's son last time I mentioned the GQ and he looked confused. It's not the GQ to him it's the MONSTER TRUCK!

Winnie
31st March 2013, 10:36 AM

Think you need a wheel alignment Daz!

Parksy
31st March 2013, 10:41 AM
This thread is just porn...

MudRunnerTD
31st March 2013, 10:41 AM
Just a bit of Toe Out mate ;)

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 10:40 AM
So here are some interesting facts.

The A Tie Rod on a GU is 1300mm c/c of the tie rod pins. A GQ is 1270mm c/c

The Tie rod end on a GU is Longer than a GQ physically and the actual Rod is the same length ;)

And the Tie Rod Ends on the Superior 4140 gear come with a Grease Nipple which is nice ;)

Alitis007
1st April 2013, 10:45 AM
So can't you just switch tierod ends?? Or are they a different thread??

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 11:02 AM
Scrap that!

Here is the difference in rod length

Bugger I hope I can still use it!!

Bloodyaussie
1st April 2013, 11:05 AM
If it is the longer one then its an easy fix...... if its the other way round then a bit more farty around..?????

Alitis007
1st April 2013, 11:08 AM
I see a GU steering box in the future mate to go with your GU drag link and tied rod!!

Alitis007
1st April 2013, 11:10 AM
Can't use the superior one coz the threads aren't long enough!!

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 11:47 AM
Bloody thing mate!! The thread is identical. Just can't get it on!! The GU Rod measures 29.83mm and the superiors measures 30.01mm! It wants to cut and/or clean the thread!! Can't do it!

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 11:48 AM
Drag links are the same length! Different tie rod end taper though.

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 02:53 PM

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 03:40 PM

Bloodyaussie
1st April 2013, 05:39 PM
^ Thats a diff and axle Daz in case you do not know....... they make the wheels on the bus go round and round!!!!

boots
1st April 2013, 06:04 PM
The fictional / photochopped / paper machet GQ keeps evolving MRTD . April fools day aswell , fess up bud . Love your work .

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 08:16 PM
Bleeding the brakes

NissanGQ4.2
1st April 2013, 08:28 PM
Must be a GU your working on, GQ's don't need 3 bottles of brake fluid even when bleeding

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2013, 09:45 PM
Well just finished.9:15pm and George is still here! Been a big weekend! Cheers to you George your a bloody legend!

NissanGQ4.2
1st April 2013, 10:30 PM
When are you guys coming to Sydney????, My rig will be off the road as soon as I find a new cheap run about car, don't know what I want so not a good start to looking for one *L*

Sounds like you boys will need a new rig to play with soon *LMAO*

Parksy
1st April 2013, 10:40 PM
How did you go with bleeding the brakes? When bleeding the proportioning valve, I almost put about a bottle of fluid through. So much air.

Alitis007
1st April 2013, 11:07 PM
I got all the air out no dramas with my technique, we'll find out if it works when Darren takes the Q for a test run.

Todd just bring your trol here and i'll have it running 10's with a 100 shot of NOS and a 12 shade chameleon paint job!!! Lol NP.com.au Summernats grand master haha

NissanGQ4.2
1st April 2013, 11:12 PM
I got all the air out no dramas with my technique, we'll find out if it works when Darren takes the Q for a test run.

Todd just bring your trol here and i'll have it running 10's with a 100 shot of NOS and a 12 shade chameleon paint job!!! Lol NP.com.au Summernats grand master haha

Like your way of thinking George esp the chameleon paint job, I wonder if NRMA will go for it when they have to respray my Roof and hopefully bonnet under warrenty in a few months time :):):)

Alitis007
1st April 2013, 11:27 PM
Like your way of thinking George esp the chameleon paint job, I wonder if NRMA will go for it when they have to respray my Roof and hopefully bonnet under warrenty in a few months time :):):)

DW about NRMA i have connections !! Lol. I would try and get payed out a ridicules amount to fix the roof ( say the whole car needs to be sprayed coz it will stand out and not look original ) then fix the car my self. But i have a cousin who is a spray painter and i only pay for the cost of materials and do most of the panel beating myself lol

BLKWDW
2nd April 2013, 08:46 AM
Had a browse through the whole thread. Alot of work going on bet it sucks arse having the car of the road for so long. Will be worth the wait though i bet. Not long now either by the looks of it.

Bloodyaussie
2nd April 2013, 09:43 AM
Had a browse through the whole thread. Alot of work going on bet it sucks arse having the car of the road for so long. Will be worth the wait though i bet. Not long now either by the looks of it.

He is being punished for his cruel ways in which he treated his beloved GQ...... time served yet Daz????

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 06:45 PM
Well been doing a bit to the GQ over the last few weeks /months and here is a bit.

So my viscous fan gave up the ghost while playing in the mud a d Nissan want a second mortgage for one so time to rebuild this one.

Took it off, removed the fan and cracked the casing

So you can see inside that there is a clear silicon oil in there and as I understand it th fan hub needs to be refilled with oil. The right oil!

There is only one place that sells it over the counter and entering the lions den was required!

I bought 2 tubes and filled the fan with 1 tube and have refitted it and will see how it goes

NissanGQ4.2
27th April 2013, 06:56 PM
I love my twin Thermo Fans :)

djc123
27th April 2013, 07:02 PM
Next thing you'll be putting in Toyota bumpstops in the rear end ...

Bloodyaussie
27th April 2013, 07:03 PM
You are now cursed Darren!!!!

Parksy
27th April 2013, 07:04 PM
Do you know what viscosity that fluid is MR? I can get access to Dow Corning fluid at work which I believe is the same thing.
How do the twin thermos go for cooling? I'd like to convert mine to thermos but have heard most people say that the original fan can't be beaten for airflow.

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 07:06 PM
Do you know what viscosity that fluid is MR? I can get access to Dow Corning fluid at work which I believe is the same thing.
How do the twin thermos go for cooling? I'd like to convert mine to thermos but have heard most people say that the original fan can't be beaten for airflow.

Yeah I looked at going the twin thermos too but was pointed back to the viscous as a far far better option if it could be retained.

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 07:09 PM

I have 80s in the front so I might as well ;)

Actually when I put poly bags in the back of dads 80 I collected his bump,stops and they are in the shed and yes they will probably go in. ;)

The upside of that though is that Every Time I hit the bump stops I am smashing on an 80 series!!! He'll yeah! That works!

NissanGQ4.2
27th April 2013, 07:18 PM

I have yet to see any proof from anyone that the original fan can't be beaten for airflow from thermo's

Mine does heat up when sitting in long stop start traffic or a hard hill climb but considering I have one core blocked in my radiator and I don't have a decent shroud around my thermo's either, I'm sure there doing there job.

Unlike originals, thermo's keep cooling the radiator down after you switch the motor off and you can switch them off while going through water crossings as well.

I think there is more positives to thermo's than people are lead to believe

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 07:27 PM
And the above repair cost a total of $12 ;)

AB
27th April 2013, 07:31 PM

C'mon Danny you know what the heart wants...lol

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 07:51 PM
So as you guys know George put in a heap of hours over Easter on Healy's car. Well he also travelled to Geelong on Good Friday for a 12 hour day with me on the GQ and then back Easter Monday for another 6 hours for a GU diff swap

Good Friday

Easter Monday

NissanGQ4.2
27th April 2013, 08:05 PM

You win on that one!, tojo lover

NissanGQ4.2
27th April 2013, 08:06 PM
Onya George, when did you say you were coming to Sydney for a holiday *L*

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 08:43 PM
What else has happened. ???? Heaps!!

So after much testing it is official my 6hp warn winch motor is Dead! Exploded! Unserviceable! Knackered!

So after looking around and seeing that $470 was th going price I got one in from the USA for quite a bit less ;)

I'm excited!

Ben-e-boy
27th April 2013, 08:50 PM
What was actually wrong with the motor? Did the windings open or short circuit?

nissannewby
27th April 2013, 08:58 PM
So as you guys know George put in a heap of hours over Easter on Healy's car. Well he also travelled to Geelong on Good Friday for a 12 hour day with me on the GQ and then back Easter Monday for another 6 hours for a GU diff swap

Good Friday

Easter Monday

Whose GQ did you put the diffs in ?? :p

Alitis007
27th April 2013, 09:00 PM
Onya George, when did you say you were coming to Sydney for a holiday *L*

When i get a holiday !!! Lol

AB
27th April 2013, 09:02 PM
Urban myth....lol

MudRunnerTD
27th April 2013, 09:51 PM
What was actually wrong with the motor? Did the windings open or short circuit?

So yeah not so good.

What do ya reckon Scottie!

Yeah she's knackered!

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 11:47 AM
Some more update.

So last weekend I fitted up the new winch motor to the top half or the winch that I had removed a month ago. Fitted a breather to the new end cap and pretty happy with the quality of the new motor.

So I decided not to be a slack arose and pulled the grill off to then remove the bottom half of the winch to put a new kit through it again and freshen it right up.

Found some more mud behind the front corner indicators! Never ending!

Not a bad notch out of the grill for the himount!

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 11:50 AM
So when I removed the lower housing of the himount from the bar I found a little problem!

Rear lower bracing on the bottom of the main casing

Happy days!!!

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 11:50 AM
Bloody glad I stripped the bottom off the bar! Nearlly didn't!

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 11:53 AM
Time to strip it right down I think and see how bad it gets!!!!

More mud!!!

Happy days!

04OFF
28th April 2013, 12:17 PM
"Mudrunner" really is a fitting name isnt it (lol)

So whats the plan mate, is that something you can get welded ? looks like cast alloy perhaps ?

Alitis007
28th April 2013, 12:19 PM
You can patch it with the rapid fix stuff mate, it set pretty hard!

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 02:01 PM
Yeah Rapid Fix is pretty good but not this good. The point load would be Massive.

I have taken it to Brett at 4Wd Obsession yesterday and he will see about getting it revelled and back braced for me.

Should be back together in a couple of weeks

NissanGQ4.2
28th April 2013, 02:18 PM
With the amount of mud everywhere else it would be interesting to see how much mud has built up in your bellhousing

Bloodyaussie
28th April 2013, 03:28 PM
I wonder how much all the mud weighs ???

Mate all this work for a little splash in a puddy muddle..... ??

Alitis007
28th April 2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah Rapid Fix is pretty good but not this good. The point load would be Massive.

I have taken it to Brett at 4Wd Obsession yesterday and he will see about getting it revelled and back braced for me.

Should be back together in a couple of weeks

How much is just that housing worth if you can buy it on its own???

I think you should invest in one of those PTO winches seeing as you broke the high mount lol.

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 05:52 PM
How much is just that housing worth if you can buy it on its own???

I think you should invest in one of those PTO winches seeing as you broke the high mount lol.

Yeah I will see how it welds up. I think it was the lack of back bracing of the housing at that point. If you look at the front bracing going to the point of mounting you can see its all about the front.

Brett will sort out some better bracing in there and it should repair up fine.

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 05:56 PM
With the amount of mud everywhere else it would be interesting to see how much mud has built up in your bellhousing

Yeah I don't think I want to know!! I fitted a new clutch to this car when I first bought it for the RWC in 2003 and have flogged the clutch ever since! Astounded it is still strong! Touch wood damn it!!

I wonder how much all the mud weighs ???

Mate all this work for a little splash in a puddy muddle..... ??

The last time I did this track it caused me to do the strip down at the front of this build thread and 2 years off the road!! I am coming up to 6 months since this trip this time! Bloody Feral Mate!!

NissanGQ4.2
28th April 2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah I don't think I want to know!! I fitted a new clutch to this car when I first bought it for the RWC in 2003 and have flogged the clutch ever since! Astounded it is still strong! Touch wood damn it!!

hahaha, yeh I was very surprised of the amount that was in mine when I rebuild the gearbox, mud is evil and as much as I loved playing in it my bank account isn't big enough to keep repairing things :(

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 06:07 PM
hahaha, yeh I was very surprised of the amount that was in mine when I rebuild the gearbox, mud is evil and as much as I loved playing in it my bank account isn't big enough to keep repairing things :(

Hell yeah Bog a holes Cost money!!! It's like sitting in quick sand and spinning you wheels in $50 notes!

Replaced my share of Alternators, aircon compressors, water pump, starter motor, etc etc!! Every item there is over $500 damn it!

Mud sux!!

NissanGQ4.2
28th April 2013, 06:19 PM
yep, there is a place about half hour drive from here referred 2 as the DropZone, Its military land and has a fair few tracks with bog holes, there could be no rain for months but this place will still have bog holes :) Should see the place after a week or so of rain :):):)

Ben-e-boy
28th April 2013, 07:01 PM
Hell yeah Bog a holes Cost money!!! It's like sitting in quick sand and spinning you wheels in $50 notes!

Replaced my share of Alternators, aircon compressors, water pump, starter motor, etc etc!! Every item there is over $500 damn it!

Mud sux!!

That's why I play on the rocks lol

Winnie
28th April 2013, 07:14 PM
Yep I used to think mud was awesome..... deep down I still do but nothing better than climbing a steep as rocky hill!

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 08:53 PM
I'd prefer to do an extreme technical drive over a winch exercise every day!

NissanGQ4.2
28th April 2013, 09:01 PM
Did you end up speaking to Danny re the damper?

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2013, 10:55 PM
Did you end up speaking to Danny re the damper?

Damn I had coffee with him yesterday and it popped into my head during a different conversation and I forgot mate. I will catchup with him during the week and get back to you. Sorry mate

BigRAWesty
29th April 2013, 01:15 AM
Geeze mate its never ending.. but a good find.. better to find it now than when you need it..
Should repair up nice.. seems a bit of a design flaw how there are no gessets or sniffers on that point.. anyway you'll get it sorted..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Bloodyaussie
29th April 2013, 04:52 PM

My fan decided to give up the ghost this morning.... by the end of the day it was locked solid???

Sounds like a bloody truck now, taken the one out of my donor car but it looks like George was right again and I have to remove top radiator hose..... car is too hot now and I have to take Erica to swimming class???

Looks like first thing in the morning then??

Daz did the oil you got cost $12???????

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2013, 05:20 PM
My fan decided to give up the ghost this morning.... by the end of the day it was locked solid???

Sounds like a bloody truck now, taken the one out of my donor car but it looks like George was right again and I have to remove top radiator hose..... car is too hot now and I have to take Erica to swimming class???

Looks like first thing in the morning then??

Daz did the oil you got cost $12???????

yes mate and one of the pics is even the tax invoice with the part number and item cost ;)

Bloodyaussie
29th April 2013, 05:22 PM
yes mate and one of the pics is even the tax invoice with the part number and item cost ;)

Oh........... think you are smart dont you?????

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2013, 05:33 PM
Post 642 on page 65 Jonathan for all the details mate

jack
29th April 2013, 05:36 PM
Quick stake out the Thomastown area Toyota dealers, get a pic of BA entering.

Bloodyaussie
29th April 2013, 05:38 PM
You are both going to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MudRunnerTD
29th April 2013, 05:41 PM
You are both going to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in a Nissan to go and recover all the bloody Toyjo Drivers who are stuck down there in the pits of hell!. Its just what we do ;)

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 05:15 PM
Guard chop!!

Ben-e-boy
4th May 2013, 05:26 PM
how much are you going to cut off.

nissannewby
4th May 2013, 05:37 PM
What for? Are you planning on running 37's? :)

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 05:41 PM
Nah already cut them when I did the spray. Took it off the clear the mud and to Panel beat the thing into some kind of order.

I have another pair that I will cut and spray when I have the paint out that are brand new ;) I'll do a new snorkel while I'm there

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 05:43 PM

Shiny new

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 05:45 PM
Going in on the 17th of May for the filming of the Amada's being fitted so want it to look reasonable for that.

nissannewby
4th May 2013, 05:48 PM
Still 37's should be happening as well :D

growler2058
Noice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben-e-boy
Are they filming the long arm install aswell:tease:

I keep hearing more and more good things about the Armada's, I highly doubt you'll unimpressed with these

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 06:14 PM
Are they filming the long arm install aswell:tease:

I keep hearing more and more good things about the Armada's, I highly doubt you'll unimpressed with these

No to the long arm kit at this stage.

Did you mean I will be unimpressed with them or happy with them?

Remember your talking to guys running 2.5" kings smoothies! Whole other level!

Speaking to Brett from 4wd Obsession about them he just fitted them to Danny's 80 and was really impressed with the change in the car. They will be a massive upgrade from the gear on it now! And I got an unbelievable deal on hem that I simply could not pass on.

Ill give you some feedback after the 17th for sure though

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 06:15 PM
Sorry re read your post.... You have heard lots of good things! Nice one!

Ben-e-boy
4th May 2013, 06:32 PM
Sorry re read your post.... You have heard lots of good things! Nice one!

yep from guys who have run Kings Fox bilstien etc :thumbup:

MudRunnerTD
4th May 2013, 06:50 PM
yep from guys who have run Kings Fox bilstien etc :thumbup:

Awesome!!!! I am pretty keen mate. They arrive in December waiting to be fitted so bout time!!!

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 09:45 AM
Today is the day!!!

Well I'm here at 4wd Obsession with Brett and Danny from 4wdTV to fit the new Amadas from Superiors!!

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 09:47 AM
Drove the car for the first time today with the new diffs and OMG!! Damn it OH MY GOD!!! I have Brakes!!! Worth the diff swap just for the brakes alone!

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 09:48 AM

Aussie know How!!

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 09:50 AM

Brett's workshop is popular as he does good work

Alitis007
17th May 2013, 09:51 AM
Hey Darren looks like we did a good job bleeding them out ay lol

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 09:51 AM

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 10:22 AM
Hey Darren looks like we did a good job bleeding them out ay lol

George the are Awesome mate!! Cheers bud

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 10:25 AM
Rear gear is out and time to fit the shock tower brace!!

Both shock towers are bent and I have already had the left side tower repaired thanks to Danny and the guys at Sparks Trailers in Geelong.

Time for the brace. Bugger of a job!!

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 10:26 AM

Ben-e-boy
17th May 2013, 11:10 AM
dont forget the flex shots :bigthumbup:

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 11:44 AM

Love the smell of Diesel in the Morning

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 03:35 PM
Well the spring tower brace is in and what a rippa!! The Nissan should come from the factory with one of these!!

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 05:00 PM
Mmmmmmmm
Ammmmmmmadaaaaas!!

BigRAWesty
17th May 2013, 06:20 PM
What lift kit is that now?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

MudRunnerTD
17th May 2013, 08:57 PM
What lift kit is that now?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Hi Kallen,

Same size lift just way way better! Can't believe how it feels on the road. So much more planted. There is about 50 acres of vacant land behind 4wdObsession and we took it for a burl on a rough track and it felt great.

No flex shots yet but very pleased.

Thanks again to Brett at 4 we'd Obsession in Melton for all his help and to Simon and Danny at 4wdTV a big thank you and to the guys at Superior Engineering what can I say? Aussies producing Worlds Best! Good job guys

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 12:36 AM

BigRAWesty
18th May 2013, 11:29 AM
So its a bit stiffer? I'm looking at going softer as the ome setup is like its ridged..
Do they have a website I can browse?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 11:42 AM
Sexy as hell!!

Think I'm getting a tingle!!

BBHHHHAWAAAAAAAAAAAA

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 11:46 AM
So its a bit stiffer? I'm looking at going softer as the ome setup is like its ridged..
Do they have a website I can browse?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Here you go Kallen, Superior Engineering

Superior Engineering -Nissan Patrol Section (http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/store.php?cPath=752_766_774)

NissanGQ4.2
18th May 2013, 11:51 AM
Looks like a lot of hard work just to install a set of shocks, they would want to make 100% difference in ride and handling, can't see the average joe blow wanting to buy these unless they have the coin to get someone else to install them

Alitis007
18th May 2013, 12:06 PM
Sexy as hell!!

Think I'm getting a tingle!!

BBHHHHAWAAAAAAAAAAAA

When is the test run Darren?? And there looking good mate!!

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:13 PM
Looks like a lot of hard work just to install a set of shocks, they would want to make 100% difference in ride and handling, can't see the average joe blow wanting to buy these unless they have the coin to get someone else to install them

Nah not at all Todd,

They are pretty well identical to fit to any shock, these just have the remote canister (the key to performance) thqt you ahve to also mount. THe kit comes with the bracketry and you just need to bolt it up. THe back one i have Zip Tied to the chassis Cross member on top of teh fuel tank. All good.

They are awesome.

The rear shock tower brace is a separate job and was a bit of a bitch but relatively straight forward and will make a massive difference. I had Torn the left side half of the chassis!

matfew
18th May 2013, 03:21 PM
What was the rear shock brace worth? I have the body of mine at the moment so if it worth doing it would be pretty easy to do right now.

Is it required only with big lift or is it something just worth doing

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:27 PM
What was the rear shock brace worth? I have the body of mine at the moment so if it worth doing it would be pretty easy to do right now.

Is it required only with big lift or is it something just worth doing

Nah worth doing regardless mate. It is a weak point in a Nissan, especially if your car sees allot of corrugations or jumps and or heavy loads.

Jump on the superiors site in the link on the previous page I think, I think it was $120 or something! Great value I think. They say you need a body lift to fit it, not sure if that's just to make it fittable or it needs the space. If you have the body off then give them a bell and they will guide you. They do a bolt on kit but that is upwards of $400 and I am thinking of putting it on the GUIv

Clunk
18th May 2013, 03:28 PM
So the brace doesn't attach to the chassis then? For some reason I thought they would have.......... bet it would be an absolute pig to fit if you didn't have a body lift ;)

MCCrappatappalot signing in!!!

nissannewby
18th May 2013, 03:29 PM
And still no long arms.....

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:30 PM
So the brace doesn't attach to the chassis then? For some reason I thought they would have.......... bet it would be an absolute pig to fit if you didn't have a body lift ;)

Yeah you could not get it in.

It came with a bolt kit and bolts up from underneath the shock towers. See the pics I posted and you can see the bolts in place.

I'll jump on my phone and post the pic again via tappa.

Really impressed with the brace!! If you have a body lift or a ute then you should not leave home without one!

I was looked after in this project no doubt but have no obligation tomSuperior to spruce this item but it is simply awesome!

BigRAWesty
18th May 2013, 03:33 PM
Have they fixed the issue of the shock rotating and busting off the remote line?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:33 PM

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:35 PM
And still no long arms.....

Nah mate I'm too scared!

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:36 PM
Have they fixed the issue of the shock rotating and busting off the remote line?

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Yeah not sure Kallen, did cross my mind though and will be keeping an eye on them for sure.

nissannewby
18th May 2013, 03:40 PM
Nah mate I'm too scared!

If I can have everything go my way I will have new shocks, springs, front arms, long arms, 37's, tray mods, gears, front locked and tray mods before September although I think I'm being a little optimistic lol

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:42 PM
If I can have everything go my way I will have new shocks, springs, front arms, long arms, 37's, tray mods, gears, front locked and tray mods before September although I think I'm being a little optimistic lol

That's an awesome list. You WILL need a winch if you want to play in Vic mate. Different game down this way but great fun.

nissannewby
18th May 2013, 03:43 PM
Already have a high mount just got to fit it.

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:46 PM
Already have a high mount just got to fit it.

Perfect! I know a guy that knows a bit about those ;)

Clunk
18th May 2013, 03:50 PM
Yeah you could not get it in.

It came with a bolt kit and bolts up from underneath the shock towers. See the pics I posted and you can see the bolts in place.

I'll jump on my phone and post the pic again via tappa.

Really impressed with the brace!! If you have a body lift or a ute then you should not leave home without one!

I was looked after in this project no doubt but have no obligation tomSuperior to spruce this item but it is simply awesome!

Thanks MR, should have looked at the Superior link you put up........ spotted the other bolt on bracing kit that I was thinking about but still doesn't attach to the chassis...... I remember an engineer post up pics of the design in here a while back.

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks MR, should have looked at the Superior link you put up........ spotted the other bolt on bracing kit that I was thinking about but still doesn't attach to the chassis...... I remember an engineer post up pics of the design in here a while back.

Yeah the idea is that the Tower Caps are already welded to the side of the chassis and rely on the gussets welded to the side of the chassis rail to hold down the tower cap and therefore add a heap of shear force to those welds.

By installing either to top brace as I have or the bolt on kit you are relieving the welds and supporting the tower caps from th e outer edge and reducing the counterlever shear force. The tower brace featured here completely relieves the counter leave and turns it into a spanning element.

Really impressed with both concepts to be honest! Props to Superior Engineering.

nissannewby
18th May 2013, 04:08 PM
Perfect! I know a guy that knows a bit about those ;)

It's not a guy with the name metcalfe is it? I'm not sure how far I want to go with it probably a mild twin motor setup.

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 04:12 PM
It's not a guy with the name metcalfe is it? I'm not sure how far I want to go with it probably a mild twin motor setup.

Your an animal!!

Hey I know someone putting together a group buy on an Air Freespool extended drum kit for the high mount if your keen let me know. Still chasing numbers but the $ look good. Maybe a $200 discount.

Ben-e-boy
18th May 2013, 06:16 PM
Nah mate I'm too scared!
The key to facing your fears is to hit them head on.

MudRunnerTD
18th May 2013, 06:44 PM
The key to facing your fears is to hit them head on.

I'll be checkn yours out in September mate no doubt at all.

Sir Roofy
18th May 2013, 07:30 PM
What am i missing in september ??? M.r

Parksy
18th May 2013, 07:42 PM
Like the look of that rear spring mount brace. When you say that version is only suited for patrols with a body lift, is that only for fitting purposes? I suppose if one was to fit one without a body lift could possibly undo the body mounts to gain a little lift to pop the bolts in.
Is there any drilling necessary?

matfew
27th May 2013, 02:04 PM
I'd say from looking at mine when I was putting the cab back on that it will foul on the body.

There is a bolt on brace on their website for patrols without body lift but it is 450 odd bucks compared to the 120 of the one used here.

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2013, 02:36 PM
What am i missing in september ??? M.r

Hey Roofy, sorry mate, missed your post. Yeah the guys are coming down for a weekend driving in i think early October now. Date is set just not handy. The 3 amigos are driving down to play and we might do a meetup and a camping trip. Thinking the high country and maybe camp at woods point. I will post a Meetup in the Meetup section about this as there are some requirements but should be a great weekend.

MudRunnerTD
27th May 2013, 02:39 PM
Like the look of that rear spring mount brace. When you say that version is only suited for patrols with a body lift, is that only for fitting purposes? I suppose if one was to fit one without a body lift could possibly undo the body mounts to gain a little lift to pop the bolts in.
Is there any drilling necessary?

I'd say from looking at mine when I was putting the cab back on that it will foul on the body.

There is a bolt on brace on their website for patrols without body lift but it is 450 odd bucks compared to the 120 of the one used here.

Yeah i think that it would be very difficult to fit without a body mount. Also the top mount of the shocks foul with the brace in position when you try to fit or remove the shocks. Damn it! If you want to swap out your shocks then the brace needs to be undone and lifted to allow for the shocks to be removed. Head Up.

I think the bolt on $450 kit is actually really good value for what it is! Allot of Engineering R&D went into making that one. When i have the cash i will be fitting one to the GUIV for sure.

MudRunnerTD
3rd June 2013, 11:46 PM
So here is a pic of my rear spring tower before the Superior Brace kit went in!!!

HOLY CRAP!!

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/8747_527102587327549_1740734300_n.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
4th June 2013, 06:33 AM
Didn't you design that hole to let all that mud and water out

MudRunnerTD
4th June 2013, 09:32 AM
Tell you what Tod when I saw it I was a little surprised ! Everyone should check their spring towers.

Big thanks to Danny and the guys at Sparks Trailers in Geelong for belting it back into shape and welding it up for me prior to having the tower brace fitted.

Happy days now! ;)

albone90
4th June 2013, 10:01 AM
wow nice rig mate!

MudRunnerTD
4th June 2013, 03:57 PM
Just going to bump this pic up as there were a couple of manual spammers yesterday and folks may have missed this Very Important pic.

Everyone should crawl under their cars and take note!

Serious Tear in the chassis rail

HOLY CRAP!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

healy
4th June 2013, 04:37 PM
Just going to bump this pic up as there were a couple of manual spammers yesterday and folks may have missed this Very Important pic.

HOLY CRAP!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

That pics floating around Facebook. That's nothing daz I've got better pics than that mate lol

mudnut
4th June 2013, 05:43 PM
Is that caused by cracking of the chassis, which has allowed rust in?

MudRunnerTD
4th June 2013, 05:44 PM
That pics floating around Facebook. That's nothing daz I've got better pics than that mate lol

I must be famous!!! ;)

MudRunnerTD
4th June 2013, 05:47 PM
Is that caused by cracking of the chassis, which has allowed rust in?

No rust.

It is the counterlever design of the spring tower on the GQ and the GU. A known weak spot. Superior do a top of tower brace kit as per the previous pages of this build and also to a Bolt In kit for the GU and GQs without a BodyLift.

I know many people that have experienced this tear. Very common in heavily loaded touring rigs that have seen allot of corrugated roads too.

Everyone should check their rear towers and keep an eye on them.

NissanGQ4.2
4th June 2013, 06:08 PM

HOLY CRAP!!
]

Spammers!!!!!!!!!! Where???? *L*

arfa
9th June 2013, 08:57 AM
thanks for the pics they are awsome,

MudRunnerTD
10th June 2013, 05:00 PM
So stripped out the Superior Springs to measure the shocks for Bump Stop modifications.

Nice flex

Measured 150mm closed and 450mm open. 12" of differential travel across the back!

MudRunnerTD
10th June 2013, 05:02 PM
New bump stops out of the back of an 80 series cruiser measure 150mm so will still have to pack them a little for safety margin.

brando4x4
12th June 2013, 07:56 PM
Have you allowed for the compression of the 80 series bumpstops as the compress a heap

vwace
12th June 2013, 08:02 PM
my god WOW what an awesome machine. wish i could get mine like that. some good reading here.

MudRunnerTD
13th June 2013, 01:44 PM
Have you allowed for the compression of the 80 series bumpstops as the compress a heap

Yeah it's a bit tricky Brando, I might jack the car up on the weekend and sit the tyre down onto this bump stop and see how much it compresses before fitting them.

The Amadas are the third set of shocks into the back of this car after destroying the rear shocks twice with no bump stop mod.

The Amadas are expensive and I need to get this right.

Do you know how much they compress?

nissannewby
13th June 2013, 02:42 PM
Put em in a vice or something this should give you something to work from.

MudRunnerTD
16th June 2013, 07:37 PM
Well had a play with the 80 series bump stops and this is what I learned!

They Measure 150mm long.

So as you can see I put it on the jack and tried to lift the car with it!!

It compressed........ And Compressed!

Down to just under 80mm!! The factory rear bump stops measure 70mm!

I need 160mm of protection!

These are being sold all over eBay as a great upgrade for a Nissan! Are they? I dont think so! Bugger it!

Bloodyaussie
16th June 2013, 07:46 PM
You should have known mate...80 serious... down grade more like!!

NissanGQ4.2
16th June 2013, 09:27 PM
No rubber mobs down that way that could custom make something up for you???

MudRunnerTD
16th June 2013, 09:38 PM
No rubber mobs down that way that could custom make something up for you???

Yeah that's what I'm thinking now. I will probably have to make them myself and will take some good pics when it do.

Watch this space

NissanGQ4.2
16th June 2013, 09:44 PM
Maybe not much good to you as they are in Sydney: http://www.nepean-rubber.com.au/ but I'm sure if you rang than with your requirements they could do it. Not sure on cost though been a custom one off job

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 11:38 AM
Put some Bling on the GQ on Sunday

nissannewby
17th June 2013, 11:44 AM
Hydro bumps?

MudRunnerTD
17th June 2013, 11:58 AM
Hydro bumps?

Yeah maybe Mat, will have to price some rubber to make them myself. Rubber is bloody expensive though so the Hydros may work out not a bad price

nissannewby
17th June 2013, 12:04 PM
They are a little noisier but are very good for hardcore applications.

taslucas
18th June 2013, 01:06 PM
Mmmmm nice bling. They look good on white

Sig test. android, MC version 2.4.7.11

graeme1969
18th June 2013, 10:33 PM
Well done MudRunner on a job well done and a good read, and I expect there will be much more to come on what looks like a project of love. I think you may have been cursing your family friend back at the start for talking you into it, but it looks like he has helped create a monster.

sil3nt_dr3ams
24th June 2013, 12:54 AM
Great build mate, love it. Your approach your attitude is unreal.

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2013, 05:51 PM
So got to work on the rear bump stops on the weekend in preparation for the snow trip coming up. Got to get this right as i dont want to destroy the Amadas!! I have wrecked the last 2 sets of rear shocks as teh bumps stops were not sorted.

Did my head in for a while on what i was going to do but turned out a simple job and a good result i reckon. Time consuming but all good..

I bought a new 155amp Gasless Mig for the occasion and still needs a little tuning but got it done.

will post pics in MC.

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2013, 06:04 PM

Old bump stop in position

The bump plate on the diff. While I was there I cut the back edge off both sides as the new GU diff still had the overhang you can see

I broke all 4 studs!! Damn it! I went and bought a Helicoil kit for M10 x 1.25 and drilled and tapped all 4 with a good result.

So there s the Nissan Bump Stop and the 80sries stop I want to fit. You can buy a bracket adaptor off eBay for $80 or something but I was just going to make my own. I bloody forgot to buy the plate while I was at metal land damn it!

What to do? What to do?

Bugger it! This'll work for sure! Why does everyone not do this I thought ? ???

Gunna cut that sucker the Hell off!!!

Hack saw

Bit of lube!

30 seconds and off it came!

Cleaned it up with a flap disk in the 4" grinder

Cleaned up the 80 bump stop!

Hell yeah!

One bump stop ready to weld!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2013, 06:09 PM
Excuse the dodgy welding, new welder and 5 years since I laid a weld

Took the edge off both sides that you can see in the last pic as these are a much bulkier unit

Ran a weld on the underside too but no pics sorry

Lick of paint

Happy days! Look factory

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app