PDA

View Full Version : Update on Bullbar for Warn Highmount

Gary Vansleve
21st April 2014, 11:18 PM
Thought I would post up a few pics on the mods made to my original Nissan Bar to accomodate the Warn highmount. Finally got it back from the fabricator long last been runnun arround for weeks without a bar on the front.

Thought it came up pretty good. The fabricator got it right for plenty of airflow to the radiator which was my main concern. Was goin to have a crack at it myself but glad I didn't no way could I match the fab work done. He even took pity on me with hernia op and installed the bar for me which wasn't part of the original deal an even took a $100.00 off the price for stuffin me arround. So all in all pretty happy.

So first major mod done.

Regards
Gary

__brenno__
22nd April 2014, 08:33 AM
Looks like a neat job mate.

You don't have any concerns about strength, or it failing when you really need it?

threedogs
22nd April 2014, 08:58 AM
Looks great , the high mount does fit the GU
but you need to trim your grill a fair bit,
You need to think up some protective cover for the rope.??

Gary Vansleve
22nd April 2014, 01:12 PM
Looks like a neat job mate.

You don't have any concerns about strength, or it failing when you really need it?

Nah mate was originally a winch bar. What he did essentially was make up a 6mm plate cradle between the original posts without hindering airflow. The only balls up was he could have set back the winch mount 30mm closer to the grill. But what the heck it makes it easier to pull the winch if I had to. Also there is enough room for me to mount the highmount I have on my 40 which has a wider drum if I wanted to.

Gary Vansleve
22nd April 2014, 01:19 PM
Looks great , the high mount does fit the GU
but you need to trim your grill a fair bit,
You need to think up some protective cover for the rope.??

Yep I didn't want to trim the grill. Yeah I have looked into ways of protecting the rope over the years but have simply found leaving the rope off until I travel when I think I might have use for the winch the least hassle.

tassie wombat
24th April 2014, 07:47 PM
I wanted to do the same thing but got nervous when people started talking about how it MIGHT change the way the airbags work??even though I believe that the airbag sensors are in the chassis rail ends and not the actual bar.

sooty_10
25th April 2014, 11:56 AM
I wanted to do the same thing but got nervous when people started talking about how it MIGHT change the way the airbags work??even though I believe that the airbag sensors are in the chassis rail ends and not the actual bar.

It's more to do with the mounts of the bullbar for airbags, that is all that is different in the non-airbag and airbag bars. The mounts deform and absorb some of the energy, especially in low impact accidents preventing the force going to the chassis rail. Thereby preventing the airbags from deploying in small incidents unless the force is large enough. If you used a non-airbag bar or mounts you might find the airbags will deploy a lot easier, but it shouldn't prevent them from deploying. So modding the bar in this way doesn't really affect airbag function in my opinion. This is just personal observations and no engineering fact or any expertise involved.