PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

clivelm
21st April 2014, 12:26 PM
I started heading from Sydney to Lithgow for a trip to Turon Gates.
I have recently bought a new radiator. It started to overheat. I was starting to head home but I pulled over again to check out the motor.
I removed the cap and noticed no rubber. We continued on and eventually put our tent up next to a track once I thought it was getting too hot again.
We purchased a new cap the next day and drove for 5 hours thinking all was well. Then it started over heating again. I got it home yesterday and I can't see where the water is leaking but it is leaking as I put in 2 litres. The oil is clean. Could I have done a welch plug?
Please help.

Clive

Avo
21st April 2014, 12:36 PM
I'd check to make sure the thermostat is working correctly,also is your overflow tank in good nick.Mine was all perished and the steam was leaking out once parked so I was losing water that way.other guys may be able to help out more but I would check to make sure thermostat working first.easy 10 min job.

good luck

Shaft10
22nd April 2014, 11:38 AM
Yeh I'd check ya overflow tank mate that was the issue with my old ute. And if ur using water change to coolant. I found when using coolant if mine got hot I wouldn't loose as much fluid and u should be able to see where it's leaking easier even if it is evaporating will leave a green residue

GQ TANK
22nd April 2014, 04:02 PM
Also check your clutch fan

happygu
22nd April 2014, 06:24 PM
I started heading from Sydney to Lithgow for a trip to Turon Gates.
I have recently bought a new radiator. It started to overheat. I was starting to head home but I pulled over again to check out the motor.
I removed the cap and noticed no rubber. We continued on and eventually put our tent up next to a track once I thought it was getting too hot again.
We purchased a new cap the next day and drove for 5 hours thinking all was well. Then it started over heating again. I got it home yesterday and I can't see where the water is leaking but it is leaking as I put in 2 litres. The oil is clean. Could I have done a welch plug?
Please help.

Clive

Clive,

I don't think it will be Welsh Plugs, as these are all external to the motor for Block Casting purposes - you would see water or coolant if this was the case....

There is a Welsh Plug at the read of the motor, between it and the gearbox, but even if it were leaking, you would see signs of liquid.

Keep an eye on it for more water loss, as it could be just an airlock in the system, water pump corroded and not doing its job, head gasket, all the way through to a cracked head or bore, although cracked head / bore is less likely if it hasn't got too hot.

Check that you fan has some sort of resistance when you try to spin it ( motor not running of course ), and also listen for the change in fan noise as the fan clutch kicks in when you hold the revs up a little, as this will give you peace of mind that it is working. If there is little or no resistance when you spin it, then don't panic, but try to find someone with the same engine and try to compare the resistance of both.

Check this out for a little assistance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwjkWbCCo0Q

Mic

clivelm
24th April 2014, 11:58 PM
Thank Mic, there is little or no resistance on the fan. The car is idling at 8000 and is vibrating. (When warm)
There is brown stuff on the radiator cap(inside on rubber) I'm not sure if it is oil or the crap left from the old radiator. It does feel greasy though.
I'm really worried I've done something really bad. I've spent about 5 grand on the car since I bought it and the misses will be really cranky if I have to replace a motor.
I'm using oil but it looks okay.
Please help.
I do 50kms to work and 50kms back. Driving to work was fine. Filled the car with water about 1 litre (on the way home) and it was running almost to H on the way home.?????

Clive

Ryangtd42
25th April 2014, 12:39 PM
I'd be doing a co/co2 head check mate takes about 2 mins at your local mechanic

clivelm
15th May 2014, 11:08 PM
See latest post head gasket