PDA

View Full Version : Simo's GU III 4.2TDi wagon

4.2_simo
18th April 2014, 09:12 PM
Well, thought it was about time I started a build thread for my patrol. Have owned it for 3 1/2 yrs now and bought it as, literally, a stock patrol, nothing done to it at all.
So where to start...? Factory bullbar, warn winch, HID converted spotties and 4x 8" led light bars are up front. Provides plenty of light for the twisty country roadsat night if I happen to be venturing out.
I tell a lie, it did actually come with a 3" exhaust system, but has now been boosted to 13psi and fuel adjusted to suit. 2" dobinsons coils and lovells shocks are handling quite well, very happy with the ride quality.
There is now a front TJM air locker which is actuated by 2 arb high output compressors, which are obviously also used for tyre inflation purposes. Rear draw setup with a fridge slide provides plenty of storage. I've recently added a cage around the fridge slide so I can now stack tight around the fridge and still be able to slide it in and out.
Hmmm, GME UHF in the front for comms is good enough.
Next up will be transfer reduction gearing as the factory gearing is absolute rubbish. Still can't believe how much a manual diesel runs away down hills! The 85% gears will fix that I reckon :)
It is a daily driver, and only get it away a few times a year, but am planning a 3 month trip around the country in a couple of years with the family.
Well that's about it for now...

Haha just thought I'd put a pick of the new tailshaft I've just put in, no more slop in the slip joint and unis now. I kinda work for hardy spicer so I have faith this thing will last forever and a day, extra boot over the slip to keep crap out of it to keep wear down.

krbrooking
18th April 2014, 09:43 PM
Looks nice and tidy man. Are those indicators under the led on the bar or just reflectors.

Sent from me using Forum Runner

4.2_simo
18th April 2014, 10:38 PM
There is a parker and indicator on each side. Tried to keep it as legal as possible when fitting the light bar in there

4.2_simo
24th April 2014, 08:52 PM
Finally have the 85% reduction gears all fitted. Won't be testing it off road for a bit, but testing in a spare block it's heaps better! First low is about half if what it used to be, second low is equivalent to previous low first, and fifth gear in low range is what used to be third gear low range.
Will be interesting to see how much it helps with downhills as that probably what u got it more for, more control.

Stropp
24th April 2014, 09:00 PM
Nice rig mate, 4.2 the best you can get from Nissan :)

Sherro
25th April 2014, 09:33 AM
Nice truck there mate should be a lot better with the reduction gears.

4.2_simo
4th May 2014, 11:36 AM
Had the patrol out yesterday up near warburton, reduction gears are awesome! Slippery downhills that I used to just slide on down are now descended very controlled with barely lack of traction. Up hills that need maximum control are now easy due to the reduction. I can do about 25kph in 4th low and that's about it, but no issues in switching from low to high and back again.

Just testing the flex :)

Trypt
4th May 2014, 02:22 PM
Hey mate sweet rig. you seem to have the same sort of build objectives as me.
couple of Q's
do you know the lovells part numbers? or the shock lengths?
and do you have sway bar disconnects?

4.2_simo
4th May 2014, 02:35 PM
No sway at disconnects mate. Hmmm lovells part no, they are actually Suspension Stuff gas shocks which are revalved lovells (so I'm led to believe) so don't know part number, but they provide a comfy ride and great suspension control.
Will see if I can dig up the compressed and extended lengths for ya, I had then around at one stage...

threedogs
4th May 2014, 02:36 PM
X 2 sweet looking Patrol there buddy, love the flex shot

growler2058
4th May 2014, 02:52 PM
Tyres 33's mate?

4.2_simo
4th May 2014, 04:03 PM
Yes mate 33"

Trypt
4th May 2014, 07:04 PM
No sway at disconnects mate. Hmmm lovells part no, they are actually Suspension Stuff gas shocks which are revalved lovells (so I'm led to believe) so don't know part number, but they provide a comfy ride and great suspension control.
Will see if I can dig up the compressed and extended lengths for ya, I had then around at one stage...

Dont stress too much buddy i can always look up the suspension stuff site.

I havnt touched the suspension on mine yet (still doing engine work) but its got 2 inch king springs and standard shocks.
Longer shocks are in need and im just sussing out what i should get,

Headhoncho67
6th May 2014, 08:47 AM
Very nice toy!

RubberDuckieGQ
6th May 2014, 09:06 AM
Hello! :) I have a question about the reduction gears - what's max speed letting it drive downhill in 1st low?

We were also out near Warburton recently, and sliding down the clay tracks - ended up sideways a few times, was so scared it would tip over a washout!

It was partially because the back wanted to swing out, but also tapped the brakes a couple of times because my 1st low isn't great.
A mate in his diesel got much better engine braking.

4.2_simo
6th May 2014, 03:00 PM
Hey rubberducky, haven't really taken much notice of speed as such, but more the rpm at which it can hold downhill. Before reduction gears, low 1st would get up to 2500rpm on steepish declines, which as you probably know is a decent speed! Now with reductions, it holds at around 1500rpm easily, so it works out to be pretty much half the speed it used to travel at. But the control is heaps better, since I don't need to touch the brakes there little chance of it sliding uncontrolled.

RubberDuckieGQ
6th May 2014, 03:25 PM
1500! Nice!! I didn't look at RPM closely but well over 2000 sounds right. Will check it out next time.

Were the reduction gears pricey?

Good looking GU by the way :)

4.2_simo
6th May 2014, 07:28 PM
I got the transfer case second hand with gears already fitted for $1000, but new the gears are $1300 plus fitting