PDA

View Full Version : Patrol 4.5 engine

tallman
18th April 2014, 08:08 PM
I've read that the Patrol 4.8 petrol motors are pretty bulletproof and in my hunt for a Patrol I've come across a really nice 98 TI patrol which is fitted with a 4.5, are these donks just as bulletproof as the 4.8?...thanks.

Thirsty
19th April 2014, 06:58 AM
They are extremely reliable, the only downside is the fuel consumption

happygu
19th April 2014, 11:35 AM
All the Petrol Patrol motors are extremely reliable, starting from the L28 right through to the 4.8, and I would hazard a guess that the 5.6 V8 will be good too.

Nissan motors are usually very strong, and over engineered, as you can see by the guys who mod them - from the guys with Skylines to the crazy Patrols in Dubai running 1000Hp.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with the 4.5 .... the only thing I found is that it was slow for the amount of power and size of engine.

Mic

Bulbous
20th April 2014, 06:32 PM
4.5 is a reliable engine, but it's lacking power, so it tends to suck down the fuel for little return.
Paradoxically the 4.8 gives better fuel consumption.
Sure you can make the 4.8 guzzle down more fuel, but you have to work at it.

Evo
21st April 2014, 12:31 AM
I have a 4.5 and I would say for the size/weight/fuel consumption, it's pretty good.
A friend has a 3.0 diesel Isuzu he bought new, and was laughing at my apparent excessive fuel consumption from my much older GU, until I worked out and told him that I get more range out of gas alone than he gets on diesel, and my GU with all accessories, is around 1000kg heavier, bigger tyres, etc.
Being a 4x4, it's not designed to go fast, but to go a lot more places than your average car.
All round, I'm very happy with the reliability and performance out of my 4.5

My 2c

Evo

tallman
12th August 2014, 12:21 AM
Well after months of searching for a Patrol and I nearly went over to the dark side(landcruiser)..I finally bought my first patrol. A very well looked after clean 4.5L 1999 auto GU ST...with Nissan alloy bullbar and towpack and duel fuel, honestly it looks new. I have to say guys there's alot of shit out there in the car yards and driveways, I must of looked at 50 odd patrols and the landcruisers weren't much better. Initially I wanted a 2004 model 4.8 but just couldn't find a decent one, so settled for this little beauty and for the money saved it will go towards fun bits. Will get some pics up soon..

jay see
12th August 2014, 04:53 AM
No complaints here.
If and when a rebuild is due I think a turbo or side mount supercharger will fix the lack of power. While I can still keep up with the traffic there's no problem for me.

tallman
12th August 2014, 10:57 PM
My first mod will probably be extractors and 3" exhaust, anyone recommend a good setup...thanks.

Dr Gary
13th August 2014, 08:49 AM
I have been happy with a Beaudesert Exhausts 2.75" setup on my ZD 3.0

Evo
14th August 2014, 04:57 AM
Same as Dr Gary... Almost...
:wink:
2.75" Beaudesert exhaust (although I didn't pay new price, came across an awesome deal) and a set of decent extractors.
IMO, 2.75" is PLENTY big enough.

Evo

Mokman
22nd August 2014, 04:48 PM
I have the 4.5 dual fuel and love it!.... bit slow off a standing start not being much faster thaty a bus lol ! but as said previously whe the time comes to rebuild will probably go the turbo path ! ........ As long as she is dual fuel damage to the hip pocket is not too bad, I drive stop start and back streets to do the school drop offs and to work all short trips for these and I still get about 310 to 330 to a tank of LPG which I cant complain about... big advice try and avoid lead footing the go loud pedal and downshift going up hills dont try plant your foot through the fire wall ( unless you are Fred Flinstone!) good luck mate

Bogan_dano
2nd September 2014, 09:21 PM
I bought a 4.5 and I love it plenty of power for the bush and to pass cars on freeway""

Evo
4th September 2014, 04:41 AM
Same as Dr Gary... Almost...
:wink:
2.75" Beaudesert exhaust (although I didn't pay new price, came across an awesome deal) and a set of decent extractors.
IMO, 2.75" is PLENTY big enough.

Evo

My bad, measured it again, and mines a 3" Beaudesert system.

Evo