PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Nissan Patrol Y61

djayamaha
18th April 2014, 09:21 AM
Hi All,
Currently I’m doing my homework on buying a new 4 X 4 wagon both for family and off road activities. I’ve been wondering about the Y61 and Y62 models. Even though Y62 is the new trend there are not much of sales for those big V8’s in Australia to my knowledge. Also there is a talk about the Y61 production has been stopped by Nissan, but they only built it for Australia in the whole world.

These are the factors concerning me

The 40K service which cost around AU $ 1100 and has to be done each 40K

Considering some euro standard (Not sure what it is) the Y61 will not be supported or?????

Will an auto transmission work for my off road things as my wife only can drive auto

How the reliability of the beast is, have seen them all around in the country so far?

Mechanical issues I have heard about a noise when turning which cannot be determined, I might be wrong,(Based on some internet posts)

Engine blown ups after 80-100k (Seen on internet posts)

Bit nervous on things like this and cant set my mind

But most of all I have driven this beast and it was awesome. Drove around 300KM recently in a 2006 TI

Please tell me what I should look for and as this would be my first 4 X 4 I would appreciate all of your ideas and the things I should know

Basically tell me everything you guys know to justify (Specially my wife, who is the finance minister) my choice of buying a Patrol and planning to go for a ST Plus 2013.
Specially buying tips

growler2058
18th April 2014, 09:27 AM
Gday mate welcome aboard

Me, Id be getting the y61 as a "real" 4wd solid axels etc NO THEY DONT BLOW UP that was early 2000-2003 that had "issues"

djayamaha
18th April 2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks growler2058,

feeling so exited about the replies.

happygu
18th April 2014, 09:53 AM
Djay,

What are you wanting to do with the truck.....hardcore offroading, or a few bush tracks?

What is most important to you...speed, or just the accomplishment of getting there?

How important is Fuel economy to you, and what would you be prepared to accept in daily use?

Mic

djayamaha
18th April 2014, 10:15 AM
Hi Mic

I will explain my plan, first of all my wife will be using it for daily commute to work and pick up kids from school, as a guy currently working in resources industry I will be using it only for 10 days each month, I will be starting to do 4 X 4 driving starting from Victorian tracks which are for novices for a start and planning to go ahead with much more challenges. (Have done plenty of 4 x 4 for my work abroad)
Speed wise not more than the speed limits on roads and depend according to the tracks in the bush
Fuel economy, I know it’s a little bit thirsty beast but what is your opinion on this? Daily use it will be less than 100 Km per day unless my wife decide to go on shopping around the place
I would greatly appreciate what you have to say tell me all please!!

Thanks

Dan

MudRunnerTD
18th April 2014, 11:59 AM
The Y61 in a Heart Beat. Auto CR ZD30 factory rear diff lock fitted with a quality Old Man Emu 2" lift and a set of 285/70r17 ATZ and you have a beast that will do Everything You are looking for.

The Y62 is bloody nice but has Independant front and rear suspension and is a bigger car to park. The Big V8 has some balls and it wold be lovely but I think the Y61 would be much easier to live with over a longer time if you intend to do some harder OFFROAD. Plenty of Very Tough tracks in Vic. The Front diff on a Y61 is the stuff of legends mate.

happygu
18th April 2014, 12:45 PM
Hi Mic

I will explain my plan, first of all my wife will be using it for daily commute to work and pick up kids from school, as a guy currently working in resources industry I will be using it only for 10 days each month, I will be starting to do 4 X 4 driving starting from Victorian tracks which are for novices for a start and planning to go ahead with much more challenges. (Have done plenty of 4 x 4 for my work abroad)
Speed wise not more than the speed limits on roads and depend according to the tracks in the bush
Fuel economy, I know it’s a little bit thirsty beast but what is your opinion on this? Daily use it will be less than 100 Km per day unless my wife decide to go on shopping around the place
I would greatly appreciate what you have to say tell me all please!!

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

I think that you could go either way, with a Y61 or a Y62.

There are plenty of people who traverse the High Country in standard 'showroom' vehicles and make it back in one piece, and around 80% of the High Country can be done safely in these trucks

If you go with the Y61, you will have an abundance of cheap aftermarket parts available (4wd speak for still costing an arm and a leg), have a super capable truck, with which a few selected aftermarket bits, will have you able to drive it to school and back, but feel confident to tackle most of the High Country with less likelihood of panel/body damage, making it easier on the truck, the occupants, and your hip pocket.

If you go the Y62, then you will have the latest technology benefits from the Nissan guru's in the form of computerized traction control aids, and there are also some quality aftermarket bits starting to hit the market too. The other thing is, because they are seen as V8 fuel guzzlers, the prices in the yards have been up to 30K off the window price - check out CarSales for some bargains, if you want to go this way.

The main drawbacks with the Y62 in the High Country, are the width if the vehicle, as you would need to prepare yourself for lots of bush pin stripes, and the low door sills, with possible sill damage on some of the harder tracks, unless you protect them with quality barwork.

If you are heading up to the High Country once a year, then choose either, and be selective on what you add-on to give you the best bang for your dollar.
If you are planning on three or four trips a year, then I would head towards the Y61, and put some money into making it 'bush ready' so that it will be still good for the rest of the week for performing family duties.

My Y61 CRD, with the bigger tyres, suspension lift, and barwork uses around 13.5 Litres per Hundred, which at 100 Klms daily would cost you around $20 per day ( Sticker says 11.8 LPH ).

I would think the Y62 would be around 18-20 Litres per Hundred and $28 - $30 per day for he same travelling, ( They are stickered at 14.5LPH )

Mic

cherry
28th April 2014, 09:55 PM
My Dad is working on rebuilding a ZD30 which has also blown up its a 2000 model...