PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Guys!

cgm
14th April 2014, 09:20 PM
Well, I've been deliberately laying low around here, but wanted to drop by and say Thanks.

For those who haven't known me on the forum I was over in Saudi for the last 3 and bit years and I've been back about 2 months now.

I'm really happy to say I'm back in Australia now (back in Ballarat), but coming home meant the end of the Patrol. Sadly the steering wheel was on the wrong side, so no point even considering to bring it back. I did have a great time while away including having my first go at a Patrol. Of course playing in a massive sand pit was such a luxury that is hard to beat (maybe the 12c/litre for fuel was also high on the list of top things! :D ). Family reasons brought us home and I was fortunate to get work again back in Ballarat. Things on the family and work front are going well, so in all I'm really happy.

Why did I keep away for a while? Well, to be honest so I wouldn't be too tempted to come back and blow a heap of dough that I don't really have. Man, I really enjoyed the GU. The 4.8 Petrol also really had some stick and it was just fantastic fun. It was a little beat up already, so I didn't have to be precious with it. Coming back here I really wanted another one. But to get another one either already kitted or get one and kit it out, well I would have just gone and borrowed heaps too much money that I shouldn't. I started looking at GQ's under 10k, but seriously fellas, sorry, I had a GU - how could I go back ... :p (flame war fanned)

In the end I've bought myself a pretty straight old 1997 Jackaroo. Having had two of these before (as Troopers in Saudi) I also have a soft spot for them. It's not a Patrol, I'm not kidding myself there, but it'll do 90% of what I want offroad and 100% of what I want on road, which is where it will spend most of it's time. It already came pretty kitted out, so no extra spend. One day I dream of being back in a GU, but I'll have to wait until I can afford it, so that's not gonna be anytime soon.

Back to where I started.Thanks Guys! This forum has a really great community feel about it and it has been great to be hanging around the edge of it. Solved so many issues and found lots of inspiration without even having to put up many posts. Had many a giggle and down right laughter and it always helped to remind me of good Aussie culture while I was away (does hanging shit on each other qualify for "good"? Surprising how strange it is that you can miss that when it's not there :) ) So, my Patrol days are over for now, but I'll probably still lurk a bit to see what's going on. No real active following for the Jacks these days, so won't find a good group like here I think. Might even put pressure on to turn up to an outing without a Patrol some day (would still love to meet a few of you, since many are in the neighbourhood)

A special thanks to AB for keeping it together, but also to all of you.

Thanks,
Cameron.

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2014, 09:41 PM
Hey Cameron, welcome back bud, glad you found your feet back in Australia and your just up the road mate. There is seriously a Great Crew in Victoria active here and you'd be well welcome any time regardless of your stupidity!! Jackaroo!! Really!!

There is a high Country trip the weekend after Easter you might want to come for a drive mate.

Don't be shy, you'll be right mate, we might even help you make your decision to get back in a Nissan sooner rather than later.

Cheers MR

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2014, 09:44 PM
Dont be a stranger mate...... welcome anytime on any of our trips!!!!!

Alitis007
14th April 2014, 10:24 PM
Definitely hang around mate and bring the jackaroo aswell !! If we put a nissan badge on it it could probably pass for a GQeer anyway hhahaa

Stropp
14th April 2014, 10:57 PM
Hey Cameron welcome back to the forum and the best country in the world, as the others said hang around and get the patrol bug again :)

MEGOMONSTER
15th April 2014, 05:22 AM
Welcome back to OZ, the wizard will have you back in a troll one day.

AB
15th April 2014, 06:49 AM
Good write up cameron and welcome back.

As mr said mate, we have loads of different vehicle attend our trips and you are more then welcome to attend anytime.

Don't be a stranger!!!

Winnie
15th April 2014, 06:53 AM
You'd have some good stories from Saudi Cam, I'd love to hear them around a camp fire one day.

cgm
15th April 2014, 05:39 PM
Well no surprises there. Thanks for all the welcomes. Will love to join in at some stage. Can't make the current trip, MR (Not game to tell Mum that I'm going with you lot instead of visiting her and Dad - ha ha) But for sure I'll keep an eye out for a trip to join.

Stropp, you're not wrong. I really enjoyed being in Saudi and would probably go again, but a big part of being comfortable living anywhere else is the luxury of being able to come home to 'the best country' whenever you want to. Really, probably just because they don't know any different, many Aussies don't know how good we really have it. Still great to be home and getting back into things.